Talk

Advanced search

26 wks-shooting pains under ribs

(12 Posts)
Shootingstar100 Thu 26-May-11 20:17:38

Is it normal to be very sore on right side and have pain under my ribs at 26wk stage?! Am I just stretching?? I would appreciate some wise words of experience!!

K999 Thu 26-May-11 20:19:32

I would get it checked out. It might be the first signs of pre-eclampsia.

K999 Thu 26-May-11 20:20:37

Or it could be something else! Sorry, just realised my other post may have set you off in a panic! smile

Shootingstar100 Thu 26-May-11 20:23:00

Really?? Gosh, not what was hoping to hear. supposed to be going to france on saturday!!

K999 Thu 26-May-11 20:24:47

Like I say, probably something else and nothing to worry about. But it is always best to get checked out, just in case. smile

GeekLove Thu 26-May-11 20:26:34

I had this with DS2. It is most likely to be your skeletal muscles stretching and it can hurt like he'll. Though if you are worried conact NhS direct or speak to your midwife.

Shootingstar100 Thu 26-May-11 20:30:31

I had an antenatal check on monday & my blood pressure etc was all normal. Have no other pre-eclampsia symptoms (jusy googled!). Was hoping it's a common problem. May ring midwife tomorrow. Thanks for advice! smile

reallygrumpy Thu 26-May-11 22:00:43

I'm 30 weeks and have had v similar pains. I ended up going to the day assessment unit at the hospital and once they'd ruled everything else out, the Dr said she thought it was related to my v bad heartburn. I'm glad I got it checked out though and the advice she gave me about changing my diet was really helpful. If you're planning to go away I'd go and get checked first but I'm a worrier!

Shootingstar100 Fri 27-May-11 22:21:55

thanks reallygrumpy - has changing diet made any difference? What sort of changes have you made? I spoke to my midwife today & she didn't think the pain is pregnancy related!

tallwivglasses Fri 27-May-11 22:39:15

DD had pains similar to yours OP, and was tested for all sorts. Her MW thinks it's just the way the baby is lying, although DD's had bad heartburn as well. Baby shifted lower recently and she's now more comfortable. Enjoy France!

Tarlia Fri 27-May-11 22:45:05

I had this too, always thought it was a foot twisting under my ribs. Funnily enough it was my right side. If it's a foot, I hope baby shifs soon.

However, i did end up with pre-eclampsia and hadn't considered the two being linked until k999 just said it. Though I'm sure they weren't as think PE pain is more central and of course you need other symptoms, so do not panic!!

Coppernoddle Sat 28-May-11 09:31:22

I think I have the same thing as your describing! It's only on my right side at the bottom of my ribs and my back ribs. All of a sudden your fine and then wham! These massive pains on my ribs and up my back, it's so painful! And can last for the rest of the night! I had this with my last pregnacy too towards the end and my midwife said it's just stretching pains and muscular pains. I've never had pre- eclampsia. Last pregnancy I had it it went straight away but you could tell it was muscle pain as every now and again I would twinge it. Don't know whether it's to do with your left side of your ribcage is slightly larger due to the position of your heart, and than your left side has to not only deal with the pregnancy stretch but your heart moving into the middle too! It might be due to having a big meal and no where for it to go as you have no room yet! Can't wait till this baby drops! Am counting down the days till peanut comes out!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now