Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Travel advice question, pregnant and with 14 mth old! am i mad??

(17 Posts)
VeronaH Thu 26-May-11 10:02:40

Hi Ladies,
i am planning a short trip this weekend, only an hours flight. i am 28 weeks pregnant and will have 14 mth old travelling with me alone! i am a bit nervous as i have never travelled alone with him and just worried its going to be a bit of a nightmare. will it be easy enough at airport etc re buggy and security??. any helpful advice would be really appreciated. oh we are flying from heathrow if that helps.

thanks in advance

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Thu 26-May-11 10:23:58

You'll be fine. smile

newbroom Thu 26-May-11 10:37:11

I'm sure you'll be fine - maybe take some small novelty toys (I usually hit the 99p shop beforehand to stock up on new shiny things!) and dole them out at intervals on the flight. Also I suggest you wear something that emphasises your bump - hopefully an obviously pregnant woman travelling alone with toddler would be inundated with offers of help! smile

lollystix Thu 26-May-11 10:38:54

Lots of raisins and you'll be fine. People are generally quite sympathetic about little ones - especially if you're on your own. You'll be fine. I find it's best to just chuck yourself into these situations and you'll be amazed how resourceful you are. Saying that I did a 3 hour train trip on my own with a just 4 year old, just 2 year old and a newborn. Train was packed and we were across split seats (no-one took it upon themselves to move so I could sit with my eldest) and I had to stand juggling the newborn most of the trip to stop the screaming. I don't think I'd repeat that one but in my opinion one baby and one in the oven for just one hour should be a piece of piss.

LadyGoneGaga Thu 26-May-11 11:37:28

Double check as I think at 28 weeks you need a letter from your dr saying you are fit to fly. Also wear flight socks. And take lots of snacks, little toys, colouring books etc. When I took my DS on hols at same age he immediately went to sleep after take off and only woke up when we landed so you will be fine!

VeronaH Thu 26-May-11 15:04:43

thanks everyone for the advice i am hoping they will give me the buggy at each end of the journies as i dont think i could carry my little guy all the way through Heathrow. forgot about letter for travel cant get doc appt now so will have to chance it, more often then not they never ask, fingers crossed!

thanks again.

lollystix Thu 26-May-11 20:07:58

Ok - if your going to chance it without the letter do the best you can not to look pregs. I got caught on easyjet at 27 weeks (first preg so not that big) and I had letter just in case. It was only a Luton to Edinburgh flight too. Go as baggy as you can. U just need a letters (usually about £15 from gp and they probably don't even need to see you to write you one).

VeronaH Thu 26-May-11 20:47:24

lollystix, do they ask for the letter at checkin or when boarding?? did they ask you are you pregnant and how far along etc?? thanks for info. doc wont write letter without seeing me and cant get appt tomorrow and only booked flights today. i flew to israel when i was 6 mths preg before and no one asked so hopefully will get away with it.v

lollystix Thu 26-May-11 21:21:48

No - it was boarding where one of the air hostesses pulled me up. 'excuse me madam- are u pregnant?' was the chat with a huge queue standing behind me. I think the easyjets are really strict on the 28 weeks business but if u check online in the FAQs for your airline they may have different rules.

MmeBlueberry Thu 26-May-11 21:26:13

You are pregnant, not disabled.

VeronaH Thu 26-May-11 21:51:19

thanks again lollystix.
MmeBlueberry, thanks for your diagnosis!

LadyGoneGaga Thu 26-May-11 22:12:54

Verona they asked me at both check in and boarding. And personally would not risk it without unless you look particularly small - what if you get stranded in country you are travelling to? I was massive at 28 weeks so would be no getting away with it!

MainlyMaynie Thu 26-May-11 22:38:57

The note depends who you're flying with. KLM will let you fly to 36 weeks without a Dr's note, so you may not have any problems.

PenguinArmy Fri 27-May-11 01:39:32

We're going on a 4 week road trip in July and then move to the UK. I'll be 24-28 weeks pg and DD will be 15-16 months.

It might be crazy but then so is not doing it (the road trip part not the moving country part which sadly can't be avoided). My OB says he's happy to sign my letter for the airline

good luck

metalelephant Fri 27-May-11 09:08:57

A one hour flight should be fine, especially if you have snacks and toys and the will to walk up and down for a bit - which is a must anyway for thrombosis reasons.

But on the buggy subject, you can take it to the plane door with you but , at least at Heathrow, they won't bring it to you when you exit the plane and you will have to get it yourself from the baggage pickup. It might even be on a different one from your other luggage if it's big.

What I would do is insist they take you to the baggage reclaim via one of those automated cars that they use for disabled/elderly travellers. Having a 14 month old in your arms while 28 weeks pregnant is not the best plan, they really should be able to help you if their regulations don't allow a buggy to the door... Or ask a flight attendant to walk with you, carrying the baby. I am 21 weeks pregnant and my belly hurts when I carry my son for more than a few steps, it's not an unreasonable demand.

metalelephant Fri 27-May-11 09:09:27

...and, just in case, do get a letter from your GP.

VeronaH Fri 27-May-11 10:46:51

going to doc today got an appt so will get letter. metalephant on the return journey i will ask for help when arriving in heathrow as its a long walk to baggage claim hopefully they will help, otherwie i will get my little guy to crawl there ;) not too worried about flight it more going through security and trying to fold buggy while holding baby etc. am sure it will be fine not going to stress anymore over it. thanks for replies ladies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: