Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Had EPU scan and she cant promise its only one in there

(14 Posts)
Dummyhunter Tue 24-May-11 12:29:45

Ok so lve had the early scan because lve had previous problems. Scan went fine baby where it should be, correct size, good heart beat.

When l jokingly said to the lady scanning me 'oh so it is just the one then?' (both sides of family have twins!) she looked at me and said 'well actually l cant promise that its not - lve scanned you twice and can only definatelty see one but lm not 100% sure thats why l scanned twice so lm only going to say its one for now if its two they will show up on your 12wk scan'

Has anyone else had simular happen? l am very confused and just a bit worried - l know its early days but she must of had her suspicions to scan me twice - why wouldnt the second show up, could it have been hiding behind the other?

Has this happened to anyone else?

silverangel Tue 24-May-11 12:32:40

How pregnant are you Dummy? I had an early scan at 7 weeks and the sonogropher saw straight away I was expecting twins...

Dummyhunter Tue 24-May-11 12:34:55

7 week early scan too!

PoppysMom Wed 25-May-11 05:44:05

They may not be able to see, as one may be hiding behind the other, or at the back of the uterus.

mumatron Wed 25-May-11 05:48:19

I had an early scan at 6+1 and was told the same.

Only one in there at 11 weeks scan.

Would you be happy if it were twins?

Dummyhunter Wed 25-May-11 07:43:22

Very happy either way - have been pregnant quite a few times and have one DC so we are very lucky to have her - any others would be a blessing. Plus both sides of the family have twins so we are actually surprised we haven't been pregnant with twins before.

I just wondered if anyone else had had the same - dont think l can wait til 12 weeks the suspense is driving me crazy

Dummyhunter Sun 29-May-11 11:32:02

Poppys mum - Dh has just asked me (and l have very little knowledge on twins) do you know is it more likely to be unclear if they are id twins? Not sure why this would make a difference but he just wondered if anyone knew.

serendipity16 Sun 29-May-11 14:26:49

My sister has id twins and they were both seen just after 6wks when she had an emergency scan.

I had non id twins seen before 6wks but then at the next scan just a week later one had vanished.

TallulahBetty Sun 29-May-11 14:38:28

I had an early scan due to kidney infections (which they did not know about at the time and though it may be an ectopic pregnancy).

I was 6+5 and my notes stated that 'number of foetuses = 1', although there was a disclaimer at the bottom that it can't be 100% guaranteed at that stage.

5 weeks later at my 12 week scan there was deffo just the one!

It's pretty much standard I think to not say for certain and they just cannot tell so early. I asked the sonographer why and she said that early one they could be 'cuddling' together (aww, sweet!).

PoppysMom Mon 30-May-11 05:42:42

Sorry, I don't know Dummyhunter sad

SouthGoingZax Mon 30-May-11 05:45:40

It's standard for them to say they can't say 'for sure' - just ass covering.

My DTs were very clearly there at the 7 wk scan!

Congrats, by the way smile

Sparklies Mon 30-May-11 14:26:19

Nearly always you'll see two - even as early as 5 weeks when you'd see two sacs if appropriate. It's very rare to not see the second twin at 7 weeks.. but - it can happen. Very rare, but not impossible. As you say, it's one hiding behind the other. That's why they make no guarantees!

Dummyhunter Wed 01-Jun-11 06:51:53

Thanks guys - sorry l didnt reply the computer had a virus (all better nowsmile)

Will let you know the outcome

Dummyhunter Fri 10-Jun-11 07:23:05

thanks everyone - had a small bleed but also had a scan - everything ok - and it is just the one in there!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: