Talk

Advanced search

can i change hospital?

(10 Posts)
kri5ty Tue 24-May-11 09:28:19

hey guys... a quick question

Does anyone now if i can change hospitals?
I had problems early on, and i was under st marys and they were fab... im 11 weeks now and my booking in app is tomorrow however as i am still registered to my docs in sale, i am under wythenshawe as i was told thats the only place they dealt with...

Can i somehow switch to st marys after i 12 week scan?

tiokiko Tue 24-May-11 09:52:16

As far as I'm aware you can give birth in any hospital you like, so you can move to another hospital for ante-natal care if you'd prefer it. When PG with my first (in England) I had a choice of two local hospitals but could have gone further afield if I'd wanted.

I think the only issue is if you wanted to stay with a GP that's away from your local catchment area, as there would be issues with MW home visits for example. But hospital care should be fine as it's you that does the travelling.

Fluter Tue 24-May-11 13:57:18

Yes: I got my GP to switch me to a hospital that's 25 miles away. Long story why. The MW only sessions I can do locally, don't need to travel, only for scans and consultants (am shared care). I switched just before booking appointment. It's your choice. I think some hospitals self-refer.

lolajane2009 Tue 24-May-11 14:25:16

yep, you can. i think the only reason you shouldnt if it would be inappropriate, i.e i cant have hospital i won't as i am high risk and hospital i wanted was midwife only unit.

jamama Tue 24-May-11 14:41:08

we used to live in S Manchester, and know multiple people who've had babies at Wythenshawe, some complicated (early and highly medicalised), others entirely normal, all with successful outcomes and happy babies. So Wythenshawe not nec a bad place. Although the new unit at Mary's is lovely (and I know several of the consultants there, who are genuinely nice people). afaik under the 'choice is everything' NHS you're allowed to choose to give birth wherever you fancy, and particularly if you haven't had your booking appt you can start as you mean to go on. If it makes sense (e.g. for scans etc., proximity to your workplace) then go with Mary's.

kri5ty Fri 27-May-11 09:41:55

I had my booking in on weds :-( so i doubt i can change now... the only thing im worried about is the home visits after... as i wont be living at the address i am registered under at my docs (my mums) but 4 miles away, which is under manchester rather than trafford...

Do you think they will let me come in to see the midwife rather than her visiting me at home?

I am thinking of just saying that i am staying with my boyfriend after the baby is born as there will always be someone there... i know its lies, but i dont want to change my doctors as i really like them!!

kri5ty Fri 27-May-11 09:42:35

Im under a consultant too

MovingAndScared Fri 27-May-11 09:54:32

You can change hosptial at anytime -I was under a consultant I changed at about 25 weeks - however I needed either my midwife or GP to write a letter
GP/midwife is more complicated - they tend to be related more to your address - and for the first home visit you really wouldn't want to committing to make a journey

nancerama Fri 27-May-11 10:57:23

I guess it depends on your area. I changed hospitals at 30 weeks, and as a result needed new notes too. I had to make an appointment at the new hospital for booking in where they transferred my notes to their format, but I continued my antenatal care with my usual community midwife. Unfortunately now I'm very overdue, I can no longer go to the hospital I transferred to and will be back at the original hospital. If you can get your midwife to maintain both sets of notes, it's much easier to keep your options open.

benne81 Fri 27-May-11 14:01:07

You can change hospital at any point in your pregnancy but you need to go to your GP to get them the arrange the transfer and send a letter. I would really recommend that you need to change GP so that you have one who is in the catchment area for where you are living now rather then them having your mothers address as it will make everything so much easier in the future. There will be health visitors and midwifes who will be coming to see you and there is absolutely no point in lying to these people (it will just look a bit odd and raise concerns). Also if you do need a home visit from the GP you should really be in the right GP practice and in the right area. You have choice to give birth wherever you want but you can't have a GP if your not in their catchment area. Book an appointment with your GP now and they will talk it all through with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now