Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

steam room use in pregnancy?

(15 Posts)
Granard Wed 18-May-11 14:37:37

Hi, I was in the steam room at my gym and a heavily pregnant lady came in and sat down.

I didn't say anything to her as, firstly, I wasn't sure myself if it's a bad thing for pregnant women to use a steam room though I suspect it is and, secondly, I didn't want to get told to mind my own business!

So my question is.... is it safe for a pregnant woman to use the steam room?

NightLark Wed 18-May-11 14:48:05

I think that it's worse in early pregnancy - anything that raises your core temp (hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms), but it's to do with risks to fetal development. If the lady was really heavily pg then I don't think it carries the same risks to the baby. She's quite likely to faint though...

MadamDeathstare Wed 18-May-11 14:49:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThistleDoNicely Wed 18-May-11 15:17:51

I used a steam room at eight weeks pg and didn't realise I wasn't supposed to. Felt so guilty after when I read that it was bad for the baby. Don't think it has done any damage though as I'm now 38wks with a very active baby and mw reckons my wee boy will be around 9lbs.

wolfhound Wed 18-May-11 15:22:39

I have always thought steam rooms are bad. I have a friend who lives abroad (in a hot climate) and when she was visiting here (at about 20 wks pg) she was refused entry to the steam rooms at a spa. She was most offended and told the hapless attendant that the temperature in there was less than the ambient temperature where she lived. Still didn't get in though smile

chocolatecrispies Wed 18-May-11 15:32:21

Apparently in Finland women carry on using saunas all through their pregnancies - but then they are used to it beforehand as well.

lilly13 Wed 18-May-11 17:14:25

hi, maybe it was me... i have been going to steam room during pregnancy for about 2-3 munites. over 40 weeks pregnant now... the general advice in the UK is absolutely no (but then they also tell you to not swim breaststroke or not do yoga until 14 weeks, but it is okay to drink -- a paradox to me!)... in northern europe, russia and germany, doctors say it is perfectly fine to use steamroom, provided one's blood pressure is low and one is not overheating, and feeling generally well... all my russian friends have gone to sauna for up to 10 minutes thoughout their pregnancies and gave birth to perfectly healthy babies... so suit yourself, i suppose...

greenlime Wed 18-May-11 17:15:31

Advice is not to, but you can't really say anything to a stanger about it.

Granard Thu 19-May-11 13:33:07

Thanks for all the responses.

It's really interesting that it's the norm in some countries.

d0gFace Thu 19-May-11 15:24:17

In my baby book it says not to in the first 12 weeks, but after that no more then 10 mins at a time.

PiggyMad Thu 19-May-11 16:10:49

Is that true that you are advised against doing breaststroke?! Surely not?!

lilly13 Thu 19-May-11 18:15:26

Yes, apparently some doctors and midwives in this country are convinced that breaststroke can cause an SPD... In the USA, they actually say that swimming breaststroke is quite beneficial... I think at the end of day, one must listen to her body...

SlightlyScrambled Thu 19-May-11 18:28:08

Chocolatecrispies is right. Saunas are allowed in Finland all throughout pregnancy. They are hotter than steam rooms, usually around 90 degrees celcius.

I kept using them after asking a lot of relatives and mw, gyne. I listened to my body and stayed only as long as I felt comfortable.

They used to give birth in saunas back in the day.

I think the concern about steam rooms is the bacteria. The temperatures don't kill anything but are better breeding grounds. Don't quote me on that though as I'm not sure that's the reason.

OST2013 Sat 08-Feb-14 07:15:58

Hi all, i myself fell so bad now.. I use electric blanket when 19w, it was so hot as the weather at my place was so so cold then.. My hubby next to me was sweating at back but i werent. The temperature might reach high as in sauna.. Im so so worried.. I come to hospital monthly to check blood, ultrasound as it routine here and doctor say nothing abnormal even his heart.. Yes i think my baby is formed already.. But im so worried.. I got obsessed.
I read from many source from internet to find if anyone have same prob like mine but there is no helpful experience but just advice.. I really need help.. Anyone have that experience pls share with me .. What would happen to my baby? Thanks a lot everyone

Intuih777 Sun 03-Jul-16 20:24:31

How many times did you go into the sauna? I ask b/c I'm worried b/c I didn't know I was pregnant and went into the steam/sauna over a dozen times for 15-20 mins each time from week 1 until last week, week 5 (when I found out I was pregnant). So scary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now