Talk

Advanced search

muslin squares

(25 Posts)
lolajane2009 Tue 03-May-11 13:23:03

how many do i need and what do i use them for?

JollySergeantJackrum Tue 03-May-11 13:26:19

You use them for everything: wiping up spillages, a makeshift bib, plugging breast leakages, on the changing mat etc. I only have 12 and could do with twice as many.

nicolamumof3 Tue 03-May-11 13:27:25

easily get through three a day also use for lining cot as well so for little spills saves changing whole cot. I do washing loads every day so 12 would do me.

BornToYolk Tue 03-May-11 13:28:10

I used them for mopping up baby sick at first, then wiping noses and dribbly chins, wiping food...they have loads of uses! I have about 16 I think and when DS was tiny, and very sicky, got through about 4 a day.
They were white at first but when they got a bit grey I dyed them blue in the washing machine.

hazeyjane Tue 03-May-11 13:31:44

Ds is 10 months old, I have no idea how many muslins i have, because I have so many! He drools a lot and has reflux, so there are usually several in each room, over my shoulder, tucked in a back pocket, even my dds walk around carrying them, to mop up drool or sick, tuck in his top when having milk, protect clothes from sick/drool, use as a temporary shade over the pushchair and he usually likes to snuggle one when he sleeps too.

daimbardiva Tue 03-May-11 14:49:44

They are such handy things -I'd say at least 12 too. I used to have them piled up in every room in the house. My ds is 22 mo now and I still use them under his pelican bib. One of the best value buys ever!

lostlady Tue 03-May-11 14:54:42

Under head in pram; shoulder to catch milk/sick; wipe dh's suit when hasn't put one on shoulder; bib; baby chew toy. Buy loads grin And when they bit bigger, cut them up for dusters, face cloths, etc.

ninedragons Tue 03-May-11 14:59:17

They're good for swaddling in hot weather (advice from Down Under). DD2 likes the sensation of being swaddled but until the weather turned cooler recently I didn't like using DD1's flannelette swaddles.

suzikettles Tue 03-May-11 15:01:54

Put a folded muslin over your baby boy's willy when taking off his nappy to stop him peeing in his mouth/your mouth/clean clothes/cat/carpet etc etc etc

ninedragons Tue 03-May-11 15:03:05

And great for providing a little tent if you're breastfeeding around a lot of old gippers likely to catsbumface you, or even if you're just a bit self-conscious about getting the baps out in public in the early weeks (I'm presuming you're expecting your first?). I just tie it around my neck like a giant lobster bib and let DD rootle away in peace underneath it.

I tuck one into the straps of my sling to make a little shade tent too, if we're outdoors.

lukewarmmama Tue 03-May-11 15:04:25

I think Mothercare do bumper packs of 20. We've had probably 3 lots of these in our time. Arguably too many, but they are soooo handy (and DD1 was very pukey). Don't buy the little 3 packs of cute looking ones for a fortune - go bumper white that can be bleached if you want them to stay white.

Renaissance227 Tue 03-May-11 15:05:11

Where can I buy them? I was told Sainsbury's sell them but I cannot find them in my local store and haven't found them in Mothercare near me etc!!

suzikettles Tue 03-May-11 15:05:53

And if you find yourself out in the sun with a toddler and no sun hat [bad mother] you can knot the corners of one for a very cute I-do-like-to-be-beside-the-seaside look.

And in later years (if you're my mum) you can use them to strain brambles when making bramble jelly.

lolajane2009 Tue 03-May-11 15:12:14

I got some today from ikea, hence the question. they were on my to get list and saw some with animal print there.

JeewizzJen Tue 03-May-11 15:19:42

I bought a load from Asda in their baby event last time - can't remember the price, something like 5 for £3!

lukewarmmama Tue 03-May-11 15:37:38

suzikettles - I love the idea of me having the time in future years to make bramble jelly (even if I might not have the inclination!). Oh heaven!

camdancer Tue 03-May-11 15:53:45

I was sorting out my linen cupboard yesterday (nesting - not normal behaviour). We have about 40 muslins. Both DS and DD were sicky/refluxy so we got through about 5-10 a day. We used them for mopping up sick, lining cots, pushchairs, the floor etc. I think I had one permanently on my shoulder during the first 6 months of their lives.

I'd get 15-20 to start with and then get more if you have a sicky baby. Don't worry about getting ones with prints on them - just get the cheapest you can find.

The other great thing to get is some value/basics towels. They are more absorbent than muslins so better for lining changing mats.

lolajane2009 Tue 03-May-11 16:51:20

according to mothercare catalogue you get 20 for 19.99

crystalglasses Tue 03-May-11 16:59:53

Best thing ever! And very useful for cleaning windows and mirrors when you no longer need them fr your dc.

PrincessScrumpy Tue 03-May-11 17:23:26

We started with 12 but probably aquired a few since. dd1 is now 3 and has two at night - she won't sleep without her "muzes" but as it's only at night and never in the day I'm not worried. She was very sicky as a baby and always had her head laid on a muslin cloth. Plus, used for descreet bfing and as a cover in hot weather etc.

IWantToBeAFairyWhenIGrowUp Tue 03-May-11 17:28:20

We used them loads as well. For everything and anything. Brilliant things.

Tesco have 12 packs for about £6 to whoever asked upthread.

IWantToBeAFairyWhenIGrowUp Tue 03-May-11 17:30:16

Whoops meant to post link

Tesco muslins

theborrower Tue 03-May-11 19:12:26

Agree - couldn't live without muslins! We got a bumper pack of white ones from Mothercare. We were also given some Tesco ones, but I find that they really go out of shape (not that it matters too much, I suppose, considering what they're used for) and are thinner, so I prefer the Mothercare ones. A big pack of plain ones was also cheaper than ones with designs/embroidery.

The best thing about muslins are that they dry so quickly after being washed in the machine, so you don't need to worry about running out if you've just washed a load.

In the early days we used them for: lining the cot/moses basket to protect the mattress from possetting, covering up when latching on, makeshift bibs, mopping up spills, over the shoulder as a burp cloth, improvised sunshade, over the changing mat to make it less cold/protect from wee...

Now that DD is abotu 9 months we still use them as makeshift bibs, mopping up puke/wee/poo (especially as DD still likes to wee when I've just taken her nappy away!), general spills, over the knees in her highchair to protect her clothes...

stegasaurus Tue 03-May-11 20:50:30

I wondered the same things until 10 days ago. After having my baby for 10 days I am starting to see how great they are. I am using them as a bib when feeding (especially when we were cupfeeding her EBM in the first few days) and wiping up any thing with them. I am experimenting with using them to cover up a bit for when I might want to breastfeed outside the house. They have also been great for wiping up mummy's tears everyday when I can't help but cry but can't reach any tissues. Am sure we will find many more uses for them as time goes by. Ikea have some nice ones for a reasonable price. You get a pack with plain ones and animal ones. I think the animal ones will make a nice summer 'blanket' too when it is too hot for a blanket but she still wants something over her.

Greystoke Mon 06-Feb-17 15:20:03

Can anyone help me please?
I've been a seller of baby slings and organic muslins on Amazon but they're a nightmare to work for so I've removed my stock and now need to sell it to clear space in my home...can anyone suggest where I might be able to do this please? I've got some on ebay but I just want to sell them at a reduced cost now to get them off my hands
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now