Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slapped Cheek disease - what would you do?

(10 Posts)
lionmummy Tue 26-Apr-11 20:48:47

I am 19 weeks pregnant; dd2 (age 3) has classic symptoms of slapped cheek disease. From what I can understand, by the time the rash appears, the contagious period has passed but I know there are risks for pregnant women. Having had a missed miscarriage at 18 weeks last July, I'm managing my paranoia pretty well but would appreciate any advice re what to do from here; thank you!

missp2010 Tue 26-Apr-11 21:45:52

We have had several cases at DD's school. I believe you can have a blood test to check your immunity. Everything will most probably be fine but it's def worth a phone call to your midwife I think.

LauraNorder Tue 26-Apr-11 21:48:16

The chances are you are already immune but the best thing to do, as missp2010 has already said, is to get a blood test.

GruffaloMama Tue 26-Apr-11 21:51:20

Agree with misspelled. Ds was exposed when I was 7 weeks. GP tested me and it turns out I already had immunity. took my mind off worrying about it which was well worth the hassle of the test.

GruffaloMama Tue 26-Apr-11 21:52:33

Sorry missp auto correct on phone!

lionmummy Tue 26-Apr-11 21:58:54

Thanks, will give them a call in the morning. Poor dd2 - her little cheek was glowing this evening.

icravecheese Wed 27-Apr-11 09:20:11

Hiya,
Sorry, abit delayed on this - you're prob calling the doctors right now!! Just wanted to say I had exactly the same when I was pregnant with no.2 - my son had suspected slapped cheek & I was 20wks. My midwife happily did blood test, turns out I was immune from previous childhood infection. I had tried to cross examine my own mother as to whether she remembers me having it as a child (therefore immune) but she couldnt quite remember... so I got the blood test done to be sure. Its so common in kids, am sure you will have had it as a child...

FriskyBivalves Wed 27-Apr-11 09:46:29

Hello

Am in a similar situation, except when my dd came down with slapped cheek I was only about nine weeks in. So sorry to hear about your missed mc last year, but hope I can reassure you a bit. (I'm still waiting on further tests of blood that had been taken in v early pregnancy - apparently I currently have signs of the virus but they're not sure how long I've had it for...)

My understanding is that the nearer you are to 20 weeks, the less likely it is for slapped cheek to have any effect on the baby even if you do have the virus. I'd never heard about slapped cheek (just thought dd had bumpy cheeks - random rash) and was only when a friend said I had to be careful that I rang the doctors. Consultant was v v reassuring about it all - even a bit eye-rolling, in the nicest possible way: he said, 'look, if your friend hadn't mentioned it you'd be none the wiser and that would probably have been fine.'

He said it's really yet one more thing that pregnant women now feel they have to worry about, even though a) the chances of you not being immune are small; b) the chances of you passing it to the baby are even smaller c) the chances that the baby will be affected by it are smaller still and d) all that would likely happen anyway, is that they'll scan you more regularly to check the baby's growth and the amount of fluid around it.

They can, after 20 weeks, do an in utero transfusion of some kind if the baby appears to be affected, but the consultant said he wasn't even going to go into the details of all that because he was so utterly confident it wouldn't be necessary.

hth

lionmummy Wed 27-Apr-11 19:55:33

thanks so much Chees & Frisky; I've been working today & struggling to get through to the surgery or the midwife - 'can you phone back later' ....grrr.
I'll try & contact them again in the morning but this has been really helpful in putting my mind at rest & less guilty for not persevering with getting through today.

MuttleyHarris Tue 06-Sep-11 18:33:42

Hi,

New to mumsnet!

My three year old has just been diagnosed with Slapped Cheek.
I'm 21 weeks pregnant and have just had a blood test but 3 week wait for results ....
Any reassuring advice that can be offered?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now