Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

HELLP Syndrome??

(4 Posts)
BunsyGirl Mon 04-Apr-11 20:33:42

I was told that I had suspected HELLP syndrome with my first baby and was induced as an emergency. No one followed this up after the birth - didn't even check my blood pressure for 24 hours never mind do any blood tests (all part of the horrendous post natal care that I received in the hospital.)

...I didn't realise how serious it was until I did some research several weeks after my little boy was born. I know that I am very lucky to have a healthy baby boy who is now 7 and 1/2 months old but I would love to have another baby. I am terrified to go through with another pregnancy now that I know what could have happened and having problems coming to terms with a traumatic birth and terrible post natal care.

Would really appreciate any advice from those that have suffered from HELLP and gone on to have a second baby and also any recommendations for obstetricians who can provide advice on HELLP.

79monica Mon 06-Jun-11 08:40:24

Hi Bunsygirl. I had my little boy 2 weeks ago at 37 weeks. I had pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome but had none of the usual symptoms like headaches, swelling, flashing lights. The problem was only picked up in my routine Mw appt at 37 weeks when my MW tested my urine and my BP. She called an ambulance straight away and within a couple of hours I had had an emergency CS. My little boy was only 4lb 6 despite being 37 weeks so they think that I had been suffering from PE for several weeks before my MW appt and this meant that he couldn't grow properly.

This was my first pregnancy so I can't offer you any first hand advice on having a second baby, but my consultant in hospital told me that there was slightly more chance of me developing one or both of the conditions in a future pregnancy but that I could take some drugs to reduce the risk as soon as I got a positive pregnancy test and that I would be monitored much more closely with more growth scans and more regular BP and urine tests. She didn't see that there were any issues with having a 2nd pregnancy, I would just have more checks than in this one.

I have also scared myself by googling the condition since I came home from hospital and have found out that it was far more serious than I realised at the time. One of the MWs who I saw in hospital has referred me to a traumatic birth counsellor to talk through it all (I am finding the fact that I was under GA for the CS and so "wasn't there" for the birth and the first few hours of my son's life quite hard to deal with) - does your hospital offer anything similar?

When I was searching for HELLP on mumsnet I saw several other threads where people had gone onto have more children after having HELLP so you might find it reassuring to read these too.

79monica Mon 06-Jun-11 08:48:20

This website here says that the chances of getting it again in a second pregnancy is 1 in 20.

mac12 Mon 06-Jun-11 11:15:19

My SIL had this with first child, which was very distressing and worrying as not picked up until very late. But she had healthy pregnancy with number two and no recurrence of the pre-eclampsia and HELLP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: