Talk

Advanced search

Birthing Centre Edinburgh

(9 Posts)
sparklytoes Sun 20-Mar-11 09:09:08

Hi, Has anyone heard any up to date news about the new birthing centre that is meant to open in Edinburgh in the summer? It was meant to be January, then summer - but no news as to when this might be. I'm not a fan of hospitals and a midwife led birthing centre would be ideal, but don't know whether it will be available or not
Thanks

tiokiko Sun 20-Mar-11 10:03:35

I hadn't realised it had been delayed - I always thought it was going to be later in the year but wasn't sure exactly when (I'm due in Oct).

At my booking-in appt the MW said it's still on course for the summer so I'm hoping it won't be late!

theborrower Sun 20-Mar-11 16:21:37

No. Is it supposed to be in Simpsons?

I'd heard that when they built the new Simpsons bit of the ERI they didn't build it big enough because at the time the birth rate was falling, but in recent years the rate has gone back up and the new maternity wing is too small now. It was certainly really busy when I was there in the summer!

tiokiko Sun 20-Mar-11 17:19:10

It's a separate building but at the ERI so you can transfer to the other ward if necessary. Details are here.

Am really hoping a) it's finished in time b) my BP doesn't go too high to use it and c) it's not full when I arrive!

theborrower Sun 20-Mar-11 20:02:14

Ah, thanks for posting that! Sounds interesting. I never saw the labour ward, alas - on being examined at triage I went straight to theatre. But the new centre certainly sounds like it might be quite a relaxed place.

Dynababy Sun 29-May-11 16:14:31

Any new info on this anyone?

lollystix Sun 29-May-11 16:54:09

My friend is trainee mw and said shed heard September. 6 new labour rooms with birthing pools.

fizzypigs Sun 29-May-11 18:09:11

Midwife told me last week that it would aug but not convinced...

Eviepoo Sun 29-May-11 18:30:51

Yeah I keep hearing about dates being pushed out...I'm due in aug and I am just thinking it won't be open. I suppose it will be a pleasant surprise if it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now