Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

maternity bras

(23 Posts)
Laura05 Wed 02-Mar-11 08:35:00

Hi all where is the best, not too, expensive place to get bras? I was a 36E pre-pregnancy and I have no idea what size they are now but definitely no longer fit in my bras hmm

Where has everyone been shopping? And where is the best place to get measured properly?

Thanks xx

Badgerwife Wed 02-Mar-11 08:39:37

Mmm, I'll be watching this thread, as I really need to buy some bras too and have no idea where is best, I was planning to go to Mothercare on Saturday.

Although I have heard that the worst place to get measured is M&S so that's one place I won't be checking out.

Laura05 Wed 02-Mar-11 08:59:39

Yeah I'm going shopping on saturday and m&s is the place I'll be avoiding smile

marriednotdead Wed 02-Mar-11 09:04:52

Hi. Please don't go to Mothercare either, they are awful!

I'd recommend Bravissimo or a department store if you have no decent independent shops near you.

Anywhere that doesn't use tape measures is far more likely to fit you properly.

If you look on the Hotmilk or Panache sites (both reputable brands) as a guide, you should be able to find stockists nearby.

This is not something to economise over, trust me!

There are other threads about this, have a rummage.

Zipitydoda Wed 02-Mar-11 09:33:46

There was another post on this a few days ago, do a search as lots of good advise about big boobs and bras was given there.

Avoid M&S and Mothercare, spend a bit more and you will be comfortable rather than in discomfort for the whole pregnancy. I have bought Bravado and Elomi nursing bras and bra extender clips to wear during pregnancy and hope they will fit for feeding as well so I won't have to buy more.

Many websites have free delivery and returns/exchange so you can order the same bra in lots of sizes and return the ones that don't fit after trying them in the comfort of your own home.

nannyl Wed 02-Mar-11 09:46:02

I got mine done a few weeks ago in debenhams

got a couple of miraim stoppard maternity bras and am very happpy with them. Think it was 2 for £25

i never believed that they could be so supportive without wire but they are smile

Fluter Wed 02-Mar-11 10:10:28

Not sure why you've got such a thing about Mothercare? Is it particular branches or something? I went there last week, was fitted by a lady who clearly knew exactly what she was doing, and came away with two reasonably priced bras (£16 each) which are the most comfortable bras I think I've owned for a very long time... My boobs are still thanking me!

(I also went to M&S... you have to make an appointment to be measured there even if they're standing around not doing anything. WTF?)

doireallywant3 Wed 02-Mar-11 10:31:16

i went to jojomamanbebe and they were fine. john lewis are good too i think (big boobed friend recommends them). i have small boobs (normally 34b, went up to 38b) and wore jojo bra's and a couple of mothercare ones that i found in their sale. both types were v comfy.
i wouldn't trust mothercare staff for measuring though (they were helpful on fitting a car seat to my bugaboo)... they are awful in the shops near me, which are always messy and grotty looking.

marriednotdead Wed 02-Mar-11 10:33:17

There are many companies who say they offer 'professional bra fitting' but there is no regulatory body so variations in expertise are huge. A good fitting does not involve the use of tape measures.

As someone who fitted bras for a reputable independent store, I have yet to see someone wearing a correctly fitted bra from either M&S or Mothercare, and the quality of the bras from the latter was almost as poor as the fitting IMO.

If you have had a better experience, then I am pleasantly surprised.

I'm guessing that the M&S appointment would be to see someone else who allegedly knows what they're doing hmm

NotSoPukeyMummy Wed 02-Mar-11 13:06:02

Your size will probably change as you go through pregnancy anyway, and after birth too. So I wouldn't recommend spending too much.

I bought mine from M&S/Mothercare. Some trial and error was involved (had to take some back) but got there in the end.

This pregnancy I went back to Mothercare, had a guess at my new size, picked up a couple of bras from their sale for £6 each - and they fit perfectly.

stegasaurus Wed 02-Mar-11 13:19:16

I went to Mothercare and the lady measured me wrong. I think she told me I was a smaller size than I had been before I got pregnant. I was desperate so bought a bra in the sale in a size I guessed, but it was so uncomfortable I threw it away after wearing it twice. Then I went to M&S a few weeks later where they at least appeared to have much more idea what they were talking about and I got 2 bras that seem to fit and are reasonably comfortable. I would have gone to a more reputable and recommended shop, but, despite living in a major city, only have the choice of Mothercare, M&S (where you have to make an appointment to come back later or another day) or Debenhams (where the staff member was very rude when I asked about it getting measured).

whoamamma Wed 02-Mar-11 15:24:31

John Lewis for maternity bras, and I got a couple of (really comfy) nursing bras from mothercare.

lolajane2009 Wed 02-Mar-11 15:27:45

I loved debenhams. mothercare ones and marks ones in big sizes (34f) in my case) were ugly. i love my dotty miriam stoppard nurture bra.

JollySergeantJackrum Wed 02-Mar-11 15:27:58

NCT online are £14 each for nursing bras.

Hot milk only go up to a G cup as far as I can tell.

LilQueenie Wed 02-Mar-11 15:32:43

only place I can find bras to fit is debenhams and they always seem to have sales which helps. currently Im a 30GG and still growing confused but can get them for about £7. Saying that they are not maternity but I dont find maternity ones comfy at all or able to fit.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Wed 02-Mar-11 15:37:26

I like my M&S bras but I measured myself and just tried on in their fitting room.

BlueChampagne Wed 02-Mar-11 16:47:57

Another vote against Mothercare, based on experience.

Vote for NCT (should have a local rep who can measure you), also John Lewis.

highheelsandequations Wed 02-Mar-11 16:55:28

Got fitted at bravissimo at 10 weeks, very helpful although bra not the most attractive. Have since bought from mothercare (realy like their t-shirt bras) and online from figleaves (their own brand midnight grace stuff is nice looking and not ridiculously expensive, plus they go up to F cup and bigger). Haven't been re-fitted just have ordered/bought a couple of sizes every time I've grown out of the previous lot and kept the ones that fit! They finally seem to have stopped growing for a bit so fingers crossed I get to wear my latest bras for more than a few weeks.

Badgerwife Mon 07-Mar-11 13:11:31

You lot scared me right off going to Mothercare for the fitting, so I went to Bravissimo on Saturday and thought they were very good. I wasn't sure that I was really big enough for their sizes but it turns out I'm a 34F at the mo (instead of B cup)so it was all good. I agree with highheels though, the bra's not very attractive. And I think the 34 bit might be wrong and I'm probably a 36F, it feels very tight (or maybe I've been wearing rubbish bras for years confused. In any case, I do hope I don't grow again until it's time for nursing bras, they are all hideously expensive!

Eglu Mon 07-Mar-11 13:15:36

Badgerwife it will feel really tight if it's the first time you've been to Bravissimo. That is how they are supposed to fit. The majority of women do wear a back size too big.

Badgerwife Tue 08-Mar-11 13:12:48

Eglu, you might be right, I was a bit embarassed at the fitting as I was wearging the only one I could still bear to have on, which is at least 10 years old, no wonder it wasn't holding anything!

lovemysleep Wed 09-Mar-11 20:57:55

Laura05I'm the same size as you, and I've found that Mothercare and M&S don't seem to do above an E cup in maternity bras - I think Mothercare only do an E cup when you get to around over 38 back size. I'll be heading to Bravissimo soon too - although I have heard that you can still buy the underwired bras, if you get them fitted well. The selection of maternity bras isn't that brilliant there, but they are one of the few places that seem to cater for us larger ladies.
I find the whole bra situation in pg really irritating, as considering the average british bra size is a 36D, they don't appear to bother to make bras for your increased bust size during pg...

SophieWilson Tue 04-Feb-14 15:49:01

I had a good experience with Amoralia maternity bras bras, I wasn't a big fan of mothercare either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now