Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bright red bleeding at 6 weeks

(24 Posts)
brooke89 Tue 01-Mar-11 14:09:27

Hello... im not sure if anyone can give me any advice here or any hope as to what is happening during my pregnancy...

Im 6 weeks and 4 days today and yesterday morning when i woke up, i had period like cramps which lasted for about an hour. when i went to the toilet i had dark blood when wiped.

this continued throughout the day getting more red each time... sometimes it was quite thick and others watery (sorry for the detailed information!)

I know that this doesnt look like good news and isnt normal but is there any chance i havent lost my baby?

Im not due to go to the epu till tomorrow morning and have been resting but the wait is killing me...

has anyone else out there had similar experiences that have turned out ok??

ShowOfHands Tue 01-Mar-11 14:12:36

Bleeding in early pregnancy is common though not 'normal' iyswim. I had bright red blood and cramps at 7 weeks and dd was fine.

There's just no way of knowing until they scan you. Any pain (abdominal or shoulder tip), increase in bleeding, feeling ill etc, see somebody before tomorrow.

ShowOfHands Tue 01-Mar-11 14:13:32

Sorry that sounded abrupt. I know how worried you must be. It's frightening to bleed in pregnancy.

iwilldothis Tue 01-Mar-11 14:32:05

I had that with DD and all was well in the end.... very worrying at the time, though. X

brooke89 Tue 01-Mar-11 14:36:17

No thats ok, it didnt sound abrupt, thanks for both of your comments made me feel a lot better, fingers crossed for tomorrow i guess x

brooke89 Tue 01-Mar-11 15:00:52

ps what does dd mean?

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 01-Mar-11 15:11:25

It's not definitely bad news, it might be a haemmorage of your uterus wall, or a cervical abruption(?) which won't necessarily harm the pregnancy.

As SOH says though, keep an eye out for symptoms of ectopic pregnancy, which is reasonably uncommon but you will need treatment quickly.

DD means darling daughter. There's a link to the list of mumsnet acronyms at the top of the page.

Hope everything turns out ok. smile

angeljefferson Tue 01-Mar-11 18:05:16

Hi Brooke, I saw your post on my thread.
Please go to A&E or ring the midwife department of your GP, I too had cramps, but these are severe cramps and I kept grabbing my stomach, these only lasted for just over an hour, and then lessend off to 'now and again' I passed clots and my fetal sac, if you are not passing clots and having no cramps then you may be ok, lots of my friends have had bleeding in pregnancy and gone on to full term!
My thoughts are with you, I've got my fingers crossed and I send you all the luck in the world!
Take care Brooke and let us know how you get on xx

brooke89 Tue 01-Mar-11 19:59:13

thank you everyone, really has helped speaking to other people... will let you know what happens tomorrow after my scan xb

chipmonkey Tue 01-Mar-11 20:22:01

Hi brooke, just wanted to mark my place on this thread so I could see how you were getting on. Really, really hope the scan goes well for you.

no1childminder Tue 01-Mar-11 20:33:13

hi, i had bright red blood at 6wks, but only once when wiped (but it filled the whole tissue) i went for a scan, had yolk sac but no baby was visable. went back 2 weeks later and there was baby with a strong heartbeat dr had told me to expect a miscarriage. oh how i loved proving him wrong!! they were the worse 2 weeks of my life tho! good luck for tomorrow x

brooke89 Tue 01-Mar-11 20:58:19

aww thank you chipmonkey,i will let you all know tomorrow promise! i just read your other reply on another thread no1! im really hoping its the case cause mine does fill the whole tissue! my partner is certain its going to be bad news, but after reading everything over the internet i still feel a little hopeful! x

OrangeGloss Wed 02-Mar-11 07:16:06

Just wanted to say good luck today Brooke

I had a big bleed around this time, including passing 2 clots the size of my palm. My scan was inconclusive as too early, so be prepared for potentially more waiting as is so early stages, but 2 weeks later all was there

They said at the second scan they could see it was implantation blood, which surprised me there could be so much just sitting there

brooke89 Wed 02-Mar-11 14:40:05

hello everyone, ive had my scan today and there was nothing in there so upset. theyve taken my levels and although theyve gone down they havent gone down enough for them to discharge me so have to go back in on friday thanks for all your support everyone. xxx

nannyl Wed 02-Mar-11 14:42:42

so sorry to read that sad xxx

CuppaTeaJanice Wed 02-Mar-11 15:12:01

I'm so sorry Brooke - have a look at the miscarriage boards on mumsnet, you'll find a lot of support there. An awful lot of us have gone through miscarriage, and it's horrible but it does get easier I promise.

chipmonkey Wed 02-Mar-11 15:12:59

Aw, Brooke, so very sorry.sad You must be absolutely gutted.

Do stay on MN, it's a great place for getting support after a MC and when you feel up to it there is a lovely thread for ladies who are ttc after a miscarriage.

take care XX

angeljefferson Wed 02-Mar-11 18:34:29

I'm so sorry Brooke, I'm so upset for you, I know how you are feeling and it is the most awful feeling in the world. Please stay on here though, I have found it comforting to speak to other people and it has helped me get through this week, and I promise that each day gets easier, take care, stay strong and have lots of cuddles with your other half

lots of hugs and my thoughts are with you sharon xx

flowerfairy71 Wed 02-Mar-11 18:58:50

hi brooke - so sorry to hear your news - this happened to me a year ago and i really feel your pain. I spent a lot of time on here which really helped - knowing its not just you makes everything that little bit easier.

I dont want this to sound insensitive but we kept trying once i got my head back round the idea and I am now 33 weeks pregnant. dont give up it will happen again when you're ready. take care.

brooke89 Wed 02-Mar-11 21:08:30

Thank you to everyone whos commented on here and shown support for me and my partner, i cant actaualy believe how much a website has helped!

Im still feeling very numb, but suprising relieved as at least i know what was happening now...

fingers crossed thats theres no further complications when i go back on friday and then its on with the future... Il definatly be staying on mn, i think its brilliant and as soon as things are back to normal me and nick will be trying again.....lots! haha

thank you everyone lots of love xxx

ShowOfHands Thu 03-Mar-11 16:59:22

I'm so sorry. Be a bit kind to yourself for a while. It's ok to be sad/angry/hopeful/jealous/fed up/rage-filled. Anything goes. When you lose a pregnancy you don't just lose the equivalent of 6 weeks growth, you lose a lifetime you planned with a child.

I had a miscarriage before I had dd and bled when pregnant with her. It's a real rollercoaster and I'm very glad I found MN before I started trying to have a family.

Welcome to MN. I'm glad you found us.

Francis78 Fri 03-Oct-14 18:36:33

Hi guys. Well. This is my first post, after turning to Mum's net many times for answers I'm now feeling desperate to share with those who have maybe had similar experiences. This is a dark time for me.
So. A couple of weeks ago I found out I was pregnant with my second. My husband and I were so excited as we had wished to have them close together, and this is the case.
I went for a scan as I had no idea how far I was really, and it turns out I was only 6weeks. No heartbeat.
We were told to return in a week, but I felt the doctor was not positive. I left a little deflated, but that was just the start. Almost immediately after this vaginal scan,.. I started to have a little brown blood at the end of every pee,.. And the aches of a period. This has continued, but today (2 days later) it is bright red.
That next appointment seems so far away, and I think I have now resigned myself to the fact that this is not going to end well. The things you read from other people are so different,.. And sometimes there even seems like there is some hope! I guess I just wanted to hear some similar stories?,.. And also, if we are loosing this one,.. I have no idea what to expect next,.. How long it will last etc.....
I am so surprised by how upsetting I am finding this, because I know I am lucky already with my first beautiful girl,. But still,.. It is awful all the same!

leanne963 Fri 03-Oct-14 20:25:17

I'm so so sorry becca, big hugs!!!!

Laurenmc24 Sun 20-Dec-15 18:05:05

Hi all just wanted to right this when I was 3 weeks I had slight pink on wiping and again a few days later which then stopped, this morning I woke up to have bright red blood filling a towel and cramps I thought this was all over I went to a+e and got checked by the doctor who said my cervix was closed I then went on to have an internal scan and baby was still there with heart beat and I am 5 weeks and 3 days so bleeding isn't always a bad sign guys just abit of hope for you all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now