Talk

Advanced search

hyperemesis gravidarum?

(17 Posts)
Laura05 Thu 24-Feb-11 13:47:08

Hi all i'm not sure if im suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum?

I'm 17+4weeks and i'm on day 4 of being unable to keep any food down. I can keep sme water down but not a lot and I have a constant headache which isn't helped by constantly being sick!

I went to my GP yesterday and she was reluctant to give me anything but she finally gave me a low dose of anti-sickness tablets which if you ask me are bloody useless!

I'm pissed off, feeling really low and shattered and really struggling with college, placement and work. I've just had enough!

Sorry for rant but any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks xx

belgo Thu 24-Feb-11 13:49:42

Sorry to hear you are ill. Have you had this since the beginning of pregnancy?

Possibly it is just a sickness bug, exacerbated by work/studying etc.

I think HG is defined by the amount of weight you lose and the dehydration it causes, but you have to be really very ill to have HG. I lost a stone in weight in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, and was constantly dehydrated, but still this was considered normal morning sickness.

Laura05 Thu 24-Feb-11 13:52:43

I had morning sickness at the beginning but it was just in the morning and then i had no problems getting on with the rest of my day. Now i just don't know what to do, i can't keep anything down and it's really affecting me

nannyl Thu 24-Feb-11 13:58:03

really sorry to here that

Im 11 weeks and have had hyperemisis since 7 / 8 weeks. Have been signed off work since 6 weeks, and barely made it out of bed!

Its horrible, absolutely horrible.
I couldnt keep anything down at all, nothing, not even tiniest sips of water or ice. (or my antisickness tablets!)
after 72 hours of nothing at all i had to go to hospital for IV rehydration.

I had that headache too.
I assume your dr tested your urine.... they only worry when you start peeing keytones. (by which time i honestly felt so ill i thought i was going to die)

It is so hard though. I thought hyperemisis starts earlier though, like 6 - 8 weeks.
I now mostly keep down antisick tablets, but still have times of extream vomiting and it IS hard.

but unless you need rehydrating i dont think dr can do anything other than give you the tablets, and while they may not work perfectly i feel they do take the edge of it sometimes!!!!

if you cant eat have you tried lollies? when im sick i try them, (current favourites are ribena ones!)

also it is really really hard but keep eating and drinking anything you feel like.

My problem at the moment is i cant bear drinks. Especially water, it makes me instantly sick. At the moment I can tolerate lucozade and Co op apple and mango juice.... thats it today, but it changes on a daily, even hourly basis.

I find my anti sick tablet works best if i like COMPLETELY still with eyes closed for an hour (after an hour it doesnt matter if you are sick as have been absorbed apparently) and then a little bit of chocolate.

Good luck

Just watch yourself, try to keep rehydrated and if it gets bad go straight to dr with a sample of wee, cause if peeing keytones you need to go to hospital.

also i am now having acupunture and wear travel bands all the time. I think it helps a little, and IMO even a little relief is worth it!

nannyl Thu 24-Feb-11 13:58:48

oh yes, i lost 6kg (nearly a stone) in 3 weeks

belgo Thu 24-Feb-11 14:01:41

laura what anti sickness tablets did she give you? has she tesetd you for any illnesses eg. salmonella?

Laura05 Thu 24-Feb-11 14:03:32

Thanks so much nannyl Ifor your advice.

The doctor didn't take a urine sample and wasn't in the slightest part concerned which made me feel like a fraud. She told me she was only giving me a dose of anti-sickness tablets as it was the lesser of two evils to ending up in hospital on a drip.

I'll try the ice lollies and try going for a lie down after taking the tablet to see if that helps.

nannyl Thu 24-Feb-11 14:12:16

Good luck

being in hospital is horrible, Im doing everything i can to avoid it.

the nurses in the ward said they looked forward to seeing me again and would still be there (in a friendly was) I looked at the confused and said "oh no, im not coming back" and they said well good luck, but most people who are as sick as you end up being admitted several times during their pregnancy shock
that really shocked me actually, and it has been my "mission" to avoid going back to hospital... hence acupuncture and travel bands...

while being sick and the tablets at home are certainly not nice, being admitted to hospital is a lot worse imo!

nannyl Thu 24-Feb-11 14:12:37

*friendly way

Laura05 Thu 24-Feb-11 14:15:59

belgo sorry i've just seen your comment. She gave me cyclizine and no she didn't test for anything. i came away from the appointment thinking i'd wasted her time.

belgo Thu 24-Feb-11 14:17:27

It just seems strange if your sickness has become worse very suddenly, then it could be an illness.

There are other meds that can be prescribed, motilium and metaclopromide for example but you do need a prescription.

Can you get time off work?

Laura05 Thu 24-Feb-11 14:19:17

I don't get sick pay and as im a student i need the money. I have a very busy life at the moment and the pressure of it all is stressing me out

caramellokoalalover Thu 24-Feb-11 14:22:34

Lots of great information here

I've not heard of HG starting that late in pregnancy but regardless, hope the meds start working for you soon and that you feel better. HG is horrendous, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

nannyl Thu 24-Feb-11 14:53:28

with hyperemisis i couldnt work no matter how much i needed the money!

there have been days when have not made it downstairs! i quite simply could not work, even for a seven figure cheque! (not that id ever be paid that much lol)

Laura05 Thu 24-Feb-11 14:56:53

That's why I'm struggling cos I'm not making it to college, placement or work and its stressing me out

MmeButterfly Tue 11-Oct-11 15:29:33

I know this is an old thread but i've just come out of hospital for the second time and am taking ondansatron tablets which are definitely taking the edge off although i still feel a bit queasy and groggy. Its the fifth drug i've tried and i'm getting really really really down with it. My parents in law have come to stay to help me out with my 18 mo dd who i'm really missing at the moment as i ca n't spend as much time with her or take her out or do rough and tumble with her. I'm so miserable and just feel like throwing myself in the bin.
If anyone's out there who knows how it is, it'd be great to hear from you. xxx

grandmaagain Tue 11-Oct-11 19:43:51

join the HG support thread!! thre is lots of imformation and more importantly lots of understanding and sympathy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now