Talk

Advanced search

How common is losing a twin in pg?

(10 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Tue 22-Feb-11 20:54:37

I wanted to write on the other thread but mumsnet isn't letting me - being odd tonight.

I had an early scan due to cramping with my 2nd pg. We were told it's id twins in the same sac with 2 strong heart beats.

Keep reading about vanishing twins and am panicking.

On the plus side, my weight gain suggests twins (have a very clear bump at only 9.5 weeks. I asked sonographer if there was a chance of losing one and she said , the heart beats are stong and they are clearly there, similare sizes etc, but now I'm worried she was being too reassuring and I shouldn't have told people. My boss let slip at work I am pg so I've filled them in that it's twins.

3 weeks until scan seems sooooo far! sad

schmee Tue 22-Feb-11 22:03:34

I wouldn't be worried. I drove myself insane with worry about this in my first (twin) pregnancy. If you have two good heartbeats then that sounds brilliant - and lovely if your bump is getting bigger.

I posted about this on another thread today, so I'm really sorry if anything I posted worried you.

Loopymumsy Tue 22-Feb-11 22:09:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kitstwins Tue 22-Feb-11 22:31:50

Past nine weeks and with heartbeast in place your chances of a successful outcome are now very good - the risk of miscarriage drops at around 9 weeks and then again at 12 weeks so you're past the really 'critical' stages for miscarriage. If you think about it, your body has already done the seriously hard stuff - building the central nervous system, etc. of two babies. However you look at it, past 6 weeks your chances of having a successful pregnancy are greater than it failing and that just increases incrementally week by week. Week 9 is a key turning point in foetal development.

Hope this reassures you somewhat. If you're having identical twins then you're going to have a lot more medical care and interest than a singleton (or non-identical twin) pregnancy, which ends up being really reassuring - lots more scans, consultant care, etc.

restingkitty Wed 23-Feb-11 10:22:19

I'm 24 weeks into twin pregnancy and the best advice I can give you is to step away from google!! I was quite unwell at the beginning of the pregnancy (so off work), which gave me plenty of time to "research" things that might go wrong. Not helpful.

Vanishing twins are apparently reasonably common, but as the other posters have said, at 9 weeks the risk drops dramatically. But of course it is normal to worry.

When I was about 17 weeks, I went to a TAMBA seminar and there were at least 50 women there expecting twins or triplets. It's hard to explain, but it somehow normalised the whole thing for me: that something bad might happen, but it is much, much more likely that you will have a successful twin pregnancy and two healthy babies at the end of it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Eat well and stay positive!

hippy3 Wed 23-Feb-11 11:39:31

Hi i worried all of the first 12 weeks. I to was diagnosed with ID twins.. Same placenta but diff sacks..I am scanned every 2 weeks cause they are id and high risk (just because ID twin pregnancies ARE higher risk) why is your hospital only scanning you every 3 weeks?? or did I miss read your message?

The only thing I can say is that two strong heart beats is a great sign, you will be very closely monitored. I am heading towards 31 weeks now.... please do as the above post says step away from the internet. The doctors will tell you all the risks because they have too.

You have to stay positive and enjoy the blessing that it is a twin pregnancy...let us know how it goes....we have a twins club on here...in the antenatal thread. Titled twins club...you should come over and join!! smile youll get lots of reassurance and advice from everyone over there...x

PrincessScrumpy Wed 23-Feb-11 20:20:25

I had one scan at 6 weeks which was inconclusive and said I was only 4 weeks gone - a week later scan showed 2 babies in one sac at 7 weeks (which tied in with my dates. The scans were due to cramping - probably body making space quickly for 2. My next scan is the standard 12 week one. I was told to call mw and let her know. I left a message it was twins but haven't heard anything so I assume I go to the scan then see mw at 16 weeks as she told me at booking appointment - is this normal?

SpringHeeledJack Wed 23-Feb-11 20:24:36

mine weren't that bothered until the twelve week scan

after that, the wheels grind into motion, you're at the hosp all the time, and they wheel out the portable sonography thingy "just to have a look"

honestly, ime, once you're past 12 weeks, they're really On It

LyleAndLiam Tue 15-Jan-13 15:26:10

Ladies: enjoy your pregnancies - you won't get that time again! Twins are lovely, it literally is double the joy! Yes it's also double the work but why focus on the negatives when there is so much positive to enjoy!

orangetickle Tue 15-Jan-13 17:13:01

I know nothing about the specifics of twins, but throughout both my pregnancies (singletons!) I've been very reassured by the realisation that generally the stories you hear are negative ones: people don't post/write about 'boring' (ie uneventful) pregnancies, so it can often seem that something goes wrong in EVERY pregnancy, which simply isn't true. So don't automatically assume that there will be a problem (easier said than done I know!).

Congratulations and hope the next 3 weeks go quickly (although I'd personally splurge on a private scan, but that's just me!) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now