Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying during first trimester?

(22 Posts)
lovemybabyboy Sat 19-Feb-11 20:08:44

Hi
I just wanted to know if it is safe to fly in the 1st trimester of pregnany?
I am due to fly next week and just found out I am 4+3 weeks pregnant. I would be flying at 5+3 wks and 7+3 wks for 30-40 minutes.

I am going out of my mind, I am so worried as I had a mmc in august, I flew when pg with my DS, but not in the 1st trimester.

I read on internet that flying in 1st trimester does not cause miscarriage but still am so so scared, we have been trying since august for this baby and I really do not want to have another miscarriage.

Has anyone ever flown in the 1st trimester?

Please help with your advice.
TIA xxx

mattdamonlovesme Sat 19-Feb-11 23:08:54

Hi LMBB

I flew long haul 12 hr flight recently when I was just 4 weeks. I'm now 10 + 3 weeks and I had a scan recently and all looks good. I was shattered and had a bad headache when I arrived. Keep hydrated, eat regular snacks and wear loose clothing! This is my 3rd pregnancy and my symptoms hit very early on this time. I don't know what the official advice is though about flying in first trimester. I know loads who have though and all was fine. Not sure this helps!

Congrats!

PipPipPip Sun 20-Feb-11 00:09:24

I am not an expert at all, but I don't think there's any problem with flying at all during pregnancy - the reason you can't fly in last few weeks is in case you go into labour!!

Not an expert though

GiddyPickle Sun 20-Feb-11 00:16:57

I don't think there's any reason not to. I flew later in pregnancy and there was lots of advice about wearing surgical stockings (they didn't have flight socks in chemist shops back then!) and drinking lots of water and moving around and not getting too hot but that was all.

DancingThroughLife Sun 20-Feb-11 00:22:09

I flew in the first trimester - home from the holiday DD was conceived on smile. I think in pg weeks, it would have put me at 3 or 4, even though I'd only technically conceived a week or two before.

HTH

And congratulations smile

Penelope1980 Sun 20-Feb-11 04:48:54

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 7+5, and have flown four times since finding out a few weeks ago. And, as I have to fly for work, so will be loads more before 12 weeks. I can't imagine what about flying could cause harm.

jimper Sun 20-Feb-11 08:17:59

I took 4 fights in my first trimester...no problems. Don't worry

PukeyMummy Sun 20-Feb-11 09:28:25

I flew at least 3 or 4 tImes in first trimester with DD and have flown a couple of times this time too.

We were trying to conceive DD for 3 years, so no way I would have risked it if I'd been uncertain.

It was fine. I would just advise you to take some of your own food/snacks in case you feel nauseous and don't like what the airline is offering you.

SnapFrakkleAndPop Sun 20-Feb-11 09:33:44

I flew long haul at 4 and 10 weeks, then again at 22, 25 and 27. I second the taking your own snacks though.

snowcake Sun 20-Feb-11 09:37:03

I've flown throughout all of my pregnancies and my new med care is effectively 7h away by plane now. No problems at all.

I avoid the scanners and ask for a pat down.

Scientific evidence seems to suggest that full body scanners (which the US uses) are not advisable in the third trimester.

Just make sure you stay well hydrated and take a few snacks as portions and food these days can be a bit hmm on the plane. You might also look into ordering special meals in advance.

Riddzy Sun 20-Feb-11 10:26:09

I flew to NZ and back when I was 12 weeks (30 hours each way ). All ok except for horrible jet lag!

lilly13 Sun 20-Feb-11 12:30:29

hi, i was due to fly at 6 weeks. as i am 35 and this is my 1st pregnancy and no previous mc, my doctor told me that it is best not fly in case i were to have an mc in a foreign country where i knew no one and was due to be on my own. he gave me a notice which was fine for insurance purposes and i didn't lose money on cancellation. good luck!

lovemybabyboy Sun 20-Feb-11 13:39:36

Thank you all so much for your advice, it has really put my mind at ease.

lilly13 Thank you, I had read that they advise not to fly because if you have a mc on holiday you might not cope well but I am flying from england to Ireland to visit my mother and rest of my family so if the worst were to happen I would be very well supported.

JimmyChoo17 Sun 20-Feb-11 18:39:32

Hi

I have had 2 previous losses and fell pregnant with a trip to Thailand already booked. I had two12 hour flights but 4 flights that were 2 hours each max.

I went over this with mw and gp about flying and I am also in the airline industry.

As long as your gp and mw sees no problem and u feel ok then it's fine. With this pregnancy I actually had early bleeding and had early scans but was still given go ahead to fly. If my bleeding had been more often they would have said no. I also had a private scan the week before I left as I was flying for so long and so far. All ok.

For me it was personal choice and I went ahead as everything was going so well. I had a very active 2 weeks and I was fine. I have to say the last 3 hours I was awful sick in flight!!

Best advice for anyone thinking of flying is to wear flight socks, stay active and hydrated and that means taking more water than on ground, make sure whoever u are flying with can provide snacks, book aisle seats, make sure your insurance covers you for any birth or complications and research where you are staying for options for healthcare.

From an airline point of view I find that most people only bother considering what happens if you have problems in the county you are visiting not many people take into account having a problem mid air. In which case you may divert to a country u never imagined and that is why good insurance matters.
Looking at what Lilly has said her gp would be better warning of the above as you may not know where you may need treatment.

Cabin crew are well trained to deal with such issues but people rarely think about ending up elsewhere!! Flying is generally fine and safe but some people stress out whilst flying and the pressure in the cabin can also make people feel worse in pregnancy (I am one of them)

Just reading back just seen you are only going to Ireland so I wouldn't worry at all. Just realized I have gone on a bit but thought was good info for others reading your post. Hydrate and keep active, you'll be fine! X

bigbutton Mon 21-Feb-11 10:59:27

Hi,

My mum was working as cabin crew when she was expecting me. She didn't find out she was pregnant until relatively late so she flew almost every day until well into her pregnancy.

Obviously this doesn't mean that no-one will ever have any problems but I can say that my mum and I are both happy and healthy to this day

Jimmy's advice sounds very sensible. Hope it goes well for you

x

BelieveInLife Mon 21-Feb-11 13:15:39

I saw an expert on one of the baby channels talking about this. She said that flying in the first trimester does not cause miscarriage, they just caution against it because the risk of miscarriage is high in the early weeks and people would attribute it to the flight if it happened.

She concurred with the advice above about staying hydrated and moving around to avoid DVT but I don't think you need to worry too much on such a short flight!

lovemybabyboy Mon 21-Feb-11 23:44:11

Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my question, I was really stressing about it before but you have all really put my mind at ease.

thefurryone Tue 22-Feb-11 10:09:44

Hi, glad you're not feeling less stressed about this. Just wanted to say I have the opposite journey to you (I'm in NI Mum in England), I'm 31 weeks and have made the trip in every trimester along with 3 other work flights around Europe in the first 3 months and so far so good.

Enjoy your time with your family.

JimmyChoo17 Tue 22-Feb-11 20:54:25

Yep I will be flying in each trimester (shorter haul now mind)

Be rude not to - I'll have excess baggage in the form of a bubba soon! Ha ha!

MacBondi Sun 16-Aug-15 20:07:04

Hi all,

Great reading all those posts it really helped with my worries!

I also spoke to my GP and as BelieveinLife say there are no precautions really to fly in the first trimester. There is just a higher risk of miscarriage in the first 3 months as with anything else so its really up to oneto decide for themselves.

Have safe flights ladies!

xxx

Nousername2015 Sun 16-Aug-15 20:29:18

I flew to NI when I was 7 weeks, all fine but I did feel incredibly nauseous on the plane so make sure you've got a sick bag on standby just in case!

eurochick Sun 16-Aug-15 20:35:52

I flew medium haul in the first tri, long haul in the second and short haul in the third (a mix of work and pleasure) - four round trips in total. This was after an MC and three weeks of bleeding in the first tri, and it was a fourth round IVF pregnancy after a very long time trying. I was comfortable with it (but did decline full body scanning in U.S. airports). It had no effect on my pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now