Talk

Advanced search

Is this a normal 'pregnancy thing'?

(13 Posts)
Mahraih Sat 22-Jan-11 15:33:50

I have only mentioned this to DP, who is of the opinion that the pregnant body is so different to normal, that this must be a normal pregnancy thing...

Just under my sternum, at the front (just under where the two sides of the ribcage meet, if you will), there's a 'lump'.

It feels hard, but not as hard as bone, and while my ribs are just under the skin, it feels like this lump is marginally deeper. It feels like it may somehow be connected to my sternum, but I can't be sure.

Weird lumps and bumps during pregnancy? DP thinks it's connected to my uterus, but he also had to be explained what 'weaning' is [hmmm]

I know I should go to the doctor (and I will) but just in case, am I being paranoid and this is just a pregnancy thing?

WoTmania Sat 22-Jan-11 16:58:52

Can't say it's something I've ever experienced. Not a foot/heel or bottom is it grin.
One of my brothers however is a freak had a little piece of bony growth at the bottom of his sternum. It was removed under GA after a couple of years. Totally harmless iirc but a bit odd (like my brother).

magaddict Sat 22-Jan-11 17:30:52

If you are worried you should go and see your doctor and have it looked at but I will say I had exactly the same thing - I had never noticed it before I was pregnant but it is still there now, six years on! I went to the GP, convinced I had a 'growth' and was reassured it was normal...try not to stress and go and see your Dr to put your mind at rest.

MandaHugNKiss Sat 22-Jan-11 19:24:14

When I was very thin indeed,and if I laid on my back, I noticed this - it feels like cartilage? And if you press on it, it 'gives'? DS1 also seems to have it (again, he's very thin)... I remember I was mildly 'eh? what's that?' but never worried (especially after seeing DS1 has it too - I presumed a genetic 'quirk')

FreudianSlippers Sat 22-Jan-11 19:30:14

Just had a prod and yes I think I can feel what you mean. Just like cartilege yes, and give a bit when you press. Small bump.

DrSeuss Sat 22-Jan-11 19:44:55

I think that might be your bubba, pet!

LadyOfTheManor Sat 22-Jan-11 19:56:56

I had a lump under my sternam! I thought it was cancer and MW thought it was hilarious blush. It's just the baby making some space, as your organs and pushed and shoved to one side! No panic needed, once he/she is born it'll go away!

Mahraih Mon 24-Jan-11 11:51:49

Sorry, took me ages to get back here.

It's definitely not the baby! I promise, it absolutely isn't the baby - Baby has dropped, and I have about 3 inches of 'clear' space before he 'starts'.

Sounds like other people have it - good! And yes, it does feel like cartilege. I'm sure it isn't cancer blush. Maybe, as people have said, it's always been there but has somehow moved to the surface now I'm pregnant.

I'll mention it to GP when I'm next in and let her have a prod. Am due very soon anyway, so maybe it will fade after birth.

Thanks, guys!

tlise Mon 24-Jan-11 18:30:06

Just out of interest, its not a hernia is it? I have one but its behind my belly button. At least if you mention it to gp it will put your mind at rest but as op's said, I wouldn't worry

Daisy17 Mon 24-Jan-11 19:40:10

Oh good, I was worrying about this too, but obviously normal! Mine can be quite sore too when I press on it - just stuff being squashed up, I guess! :>)

RufousBartleby Mon 24-Jan-11 19:45:45

This happened to me! Though I only really noticed after having DS - I think the baby must move things around a bit. DH assures me that it is the bottom of my windpipe, but I could never feel it before - if yours turns out to be something different, let me know as he could be having me on wink

thisisyesterday Mon 24-Jan-11 19:53:37

it's your xiphoid function

i expect it just gets pushed out because of the baby growing and things moving

Northernrose Mon 24-Jan-11 20:13:53

hello!

its your xiphisternum - xiphoid process - its basically a piece of bony cartilage that is attached to the end of your sternum (breastbone) It starts off as cartilage and bascially in adults hardens up to become bony. It is completely and totally normal but everyone's anatomy can be slightly different and on some folk you can feel it and on others you can't. It's usually easier to feel on a slim person.

Most likely you can either feel it now because of other changes in your abdomen with being pregnant means it has become slightly more prominent, or you've felt it for the first time because you actually feel your tummy when feeling for the top of your bump e.g. when you're lying down! That's when I first felt it anyway! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »