Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

should i have been offered swine flu jab?

(14 Posts)
TotorosOcarina Fri 14-Jan-11 15:13:10

am 25 weeks

am panicking a bit over it (im a big panicker anyways)
i'd have it done if offered i think

or do i have to ask?

LittlePoot Fri 14-Jan-11 15:14:59

I had to ask, but as soon as I did they recommended it and gave it to me. Odd really as other doctors in my area have written to their pregnant patients to encourage them to have it - guess my surgery isn't quite that advanced....

TotorosOcarina Fri 14-Jan-11 15:16:40

hmm, im at the hospital monday i might ask for it.

i want the 3 older kids to have it but DH isn't keen, but it really scares me

TotorosOcarina Fri 14-Jan-11 15:18:15

littlepoot can i ask you a really weird question - where'd you come up with your name?

a11yJ Fri 14-Jan-11 15:18:19

had mine on monday, if you ring your gp surgery and book one! your 'high risk' so will get one.

Deliaskis Fri 14-Jan-11 15:18:45

I had to ask and then got booked in for it.

It has been ridiculously inconsistent in the way the policy has been applied though. I had a mw appointment about two days after the media coverage went into over-drive, and sat through the whole appointment and she didn't mention it, and as I was leaving, I asked, and she said 'yes we are definitely recommending it', to which I thought if they were recommending it they were being rather covert about their recommendation. Never got a letter inviting me for it or anything, and she never mentioned anything until I did.

Then had to push a bit for an apt. If you want it, call your surgery and push for it now, you're entitled.

D

pozzled Fri 14-Jan-11 15:19:11

I had to ask, I don't think my surgery contacted pregnant women.

Janus Fri 14-Jan-11 15:21:48

I rang my GP surgery in December to ask if I should have it and the (horrible!) receptionist there had no idea! I then rang midwife who recommended wrong jab (btw you need the combined flu jab not just the swine flu jab). I finally was told I had to make an appt to see GP to discuss who immediately said I should have it. Had my jab the next day.
DD2 now has swine flu, I'm so glad I had the jab done.

girlfromdownsouth Fri 14-Jan-11 15:24:07

I was called by my docs and basically ordered to come in for it - they were not taking no for an answer. And yes you must have the combined jab, not just swine flu one. Definitely make sure you get it.

bessie26 Fri 14-Jan-11 15:25:35

Just phone your surgery to arrange an appointment to get the seasonal flu jab (includes swine flu).

As you are pg, you are "high risk" and so will get it.

JBrd Fri 14-Jan-11 15:57:37

I also had to ask for it, neither my GP nor my midwife mentioned anything during our various appointments in the last few months until I did last week. Then it was all 'yes, absolutely, go get the jab!'. And of course they had run out of vaccine when I wanted to have it! Now I need to go to a 'mass clinic' at my GP tomorrow to get it done.
I never received a letter inviting me to get the jab either, and I'm going to mention this to them when I get the jab tomorrow.
From what I've read here, it's really inconsistent how this is handled.

Shelbee Fri 14-Jan-11 16:18:29

I had to ask for it and when I got the surgery (this was in late December), the GP tried to talk me out of it, saying that they couldnt guarantee there wouldnt be problems if you had it in pregnancy, and that not many people had flu anyway... hmmmm. I had it anyway and am glad I did!

stegasaurus Fri 14-Jan-11 16:51:05

I had to phone up and ask for it in December, and my surgery receptionist appeared not to know that I was eligible for it as I am pregnant. She had to check and ring me back. Neither my GP surgery or midwife or hospital had mentioned it or contacted me, but I am coming into contact with confirmed cases at work so needed to have it. I don't know if they have since started contacting pregnant women. If you want to have it, contact your surgery and ask. They can't refuse (unless they have run out of the vaccine, in which case they should contact you when they have some available).

soppypreggyloon Fri 14-Jan-11 20:48:06

I had to ask.
I am 25 weeks so have seen mw and gp several times before and during current flu panic and nobody mentions it at all. I spoke to a receptionist who ha no idea about it and had to ask a nurse what was going on. At one point she tried to tell me they'd done all their jabs in October time so I was too late!

I'd be intrigued to find out what proportion of gps/ mws actually contacted people about it. I'm betting it's not that many!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: