Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan, gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetus yet

(360 Posts)
Coconutfeet Fri 14-Jan-11 12:24:29

This is my fifth pregnancy, I have one dc.

I'm 7+5 based on my lmp, although I chart and know that I ovulated around cd 18 which would make me 7+1, I think.

Because I have a history of miscarriage I had an early scan today. They saw a gestational sac and a yolk sac but no fetus yet. They are going to rescan me in 2 weeks. They've told me to try and relax and that everything is in line with a very early pregnancy. But although I know it's early, I'm in a complete state. I'm pretty sure with ds I had a scan at around 7+6 and we saw a heartbeat.

I know no-one can tell me how my pregnancy is going to go but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who had a similar experience and to know how it turned out - good or bad.

SMummyS Fri 14-Jan-11 12:41:16

Hi, I thought this thread may be of sone help for you.

m.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1115746-Poor-gestatio nal-sac-growth

Coconutfeet Fri 14-Jan-11 15:25:00

Thanks SMummyS.

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Fri 14-Jan-11 15:40:00

I thought I was around 7 weeks and when I went in for an early scan after pain and spotting they saw only the sac and declared I couldn't be more than 5 weeks. I went back a week later and they saw a heartbeat and told me I was 5+5. My dates have changed a couple of times throughout but I am now 38 weeks officially but measuring 39, which would put me back in line with my original dates. So there is hope, I just think that it is hard to see much at all at such an early stage and there are lots of factors as to why a heartbeat may or may not be visible for anything up to about 7 weeks or so. Hoping for the best for you.

Coconutfeet Fri 14-Jan-11 20:14:47

Thanks Lotterywinners. I'm glad it worked out for you. It's the waiting that so hideous isn't it. Good luck with the new baby!

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Fri 14-Jan-11 20:52:59

The waiting is excruciating. I am sorry for your previous MCs and really hope this time things work out for you.

Coconutfeet Sat 15-Jan-11 08:56:34

Thanks Lotterywinners. I'm keeping everything crossed.

JimmyChoo17 Sat 15-Jan-11 09:24:12

Hi I too have a history of mc and had scan at 5 weeks which then a follow up later in my 7th week and heartbeat appeared and there was a sack and yolk. I was told would be normal not to have caught a heartbeat tho. The yolk and sac at your stage is very encouraging so hang in there if they measured your sack n yolk growing in line with your dates this is a good sign.

I won't say don't worry as I was a wreck but tried to remain positive as didn't want to stress baby.

I have had 2 scans since which show a grooving little one. I'm now worrying about downs!! It's natural to worry but don't forget at some point things go right and I sincerely hope this time things go right for you.

(I had 2 losses and took 2 years to fall preg, I'm 29) x

Coconutfeet Sat 15-Jan-11 09:38:38

Thanks Jimmychoo. They told me it was normal not to hear a hb too, but I can't quite bring myself to believe them!

My first mc was actually an anembrionic pregnancy. I went for a scan at 10 weeks because of some spotting and there was a sac but no fetus, and I think that's why I'm so anxious. I'm trying to remember whether there was a yolk that time - I don't think there was.

Really good luck with the rest of your pregnancy - I hope it goes well.

KTDace Sat 15-Jan-11 12:53:32

Hi Coconutfeet,

I am in the same situation as you, sort of. This is my 4th pregnancy, I have 1 DC.

I too had an early scan but I was only 6weeks (exactly). They did an abdominal scan and found a gestational sac but no fetus. They seemed happy that it was in line with 6 weeks but I am freaking out. Surely they would have seen more with a transvaginal scan so why didn't they do one? They told us because they could see enough, it wasn't enough to reassure me though.

I guess for both of us only time will tell. But that time will seem to take forever.

I just wanted to let you know that I am in the same position as you and I wanted to send you my best wishes, it is tough isn't it.

x

Coconutfeet Sun 16-Jan-11 08:18:53

KTDace - Sorry you're going through the same thing. It's a shame that they didn't do more to reassure you given your history. In my case they did an abdominal scan then gave me the option of a transvaginal scan or coming back in a fortnight. I chose the transvaginal scan. At that point they could see the yolk and said that, although they couldn't see a fetus, everything was in line with an early pregnancy. It is hard isn't it. I do feel that once you've had a miscarriage it sucks all the joy out of being pregnant at the beginning - you're just waiting to get it over with.

Good luck - let me know how it goes.

TotorosOcarina Sun 16-Jan-11 08:21:52

Your LMP dates may be way out.

By my LMP I went to my '12 week scan' at 13 weeks , when i got there they said I was 10 weeks!

every scan ive had since has tallied with me being 10 weeks at that point but it still makes no sense to me!!

TotorosOcarina Sun 16-Jan-11 08:22:54

oh and with my first DS they thought i was 7 weeks, but scan showed ssack with no baby or hb, i went back 2 weeks later and he was there and all was fine, i was just earlier than i thought

hope all is well x

Nell799 Sun 16-Jan-11 09:53:14

I had my scan yesterday . I should be 7 weeks but they only found a gestational sac in line with 5 weeks . Because I'm irregular they said they couldn't tell and to come back in two weeks . That was a vaginal scan . What worries me is that 5 weeks would put conception after we did the pregnancy test . This is my first pregnancy. I agree, the waiting is awful.

partridge Sun 16-Jan-11 10:38:06

I went for a scan at what would have been 8 + 1 according to my lmp. I was measured at 5 1/2 - 6 weeks and looking at my dates for unprotected sex, it was stretching credibility - I would have had to have ovulated 7 days after last having intercourse and 3 days before my period was due. Basically both the sonographer and I were scratching our heads.

Re-scanned at 8 + 4 and all as it should be in line with my amended dates. I am still bewildered, but trying not to question it...

So basically, dates are funny things - no amount of charting can account for weird cycles! Good luck...

TotorosOcarina Sun 16-Jan-11 10:59:14

partrige and nell i was the same,

according to my dates (from 3 scans) i concieved the same time i got a + pregnancy test confused

the midwife said that may have been a different pregnancy- how???

thatsnotmymonster Sun 16-Jan-11 11:16:24

I have not experienced what you are going through but just wanted to say I have very irregular periods and long cycles and my dates have always been 'wrong' i.e I think I am 12 weeks but told I am 10 etc even though I knew exactly when I concieved. Strangely though all 3 dc have been 2 weeks late which would suggest I was right all along.

Basically it is not an exact science and plenty of room for mistakes wrt size and dates.

I really hope everything progresses well. You will worry whatever though- it's normal.

Coconutfeet Sun 16-Jan-11 17:36:25

Thanks everyone. And your story is reassuring Totorosocarina. It does seem that there's a lot of room for error on the early scans. I guess, even if we know our approximate ovulation dates, we don't know when implantation actually happened. The doctor did actually say that each pregnancy progresses at a different rate at this stage.

Nell - The wait is hideous isn't it. Do come back and let us know how it goes.

I suppose I haven't actually received any bad news - I'm just no further forward than I was before the scan. I'd psyched myself up so much for it and I really thought I'd know either way whether the pregnancy was progressing.

Some good news (I think) is that my nausea has really ramped up in the last couple of days. Hopefully that's a sign that things are happening in there...

OrangeGloss Sun 16-Jan-11 18:46:41

Hi, I went for an early scan due to bleeding and could only see the sac. I have to go back in 2 weeks - I have a week left to wait.

It's awful isn't it? I just wish I knew either way.

When do you ladies have a scan? X

Nell799 Sun 16-Jan-11 19:20:40

Fingers crossed for us all . I would love a glass of wine to help me sleep , but can't incase the next scan is a positive one .

Coconutfeet Sun 16-Jan-11 19:31:42

Mine is two weeks last Friday orange. Have you got any idea how far along you're supposed to be?

Wine would be lush at the moment wouldn't it Nell.

Nell799 Sun 16-Jan-11 19:41:49

Orange , I go back two weeks yesterday . Not long for you . I hope your week goes quick .

OrangeGloss Mon 17-Jan-11 07:46:36

I was thinking a glass of wine would go down a treat too, and rare steak, and runny egg

They think I measured around 5 weeks, which is fine for a 35 day cycle and a late implanter, so when I go back I should be 7, so I'm really hoping there's been some growth and development.

I've been signed off due to bleeding, are you 2 at work? I don't know which would be worse. I've been tempted to pay for a private scan earlier but it may not be conclusive. I hope your waits aren't dragging too much x

Nell799 Mon 17-Jan-11 08:48:21

Can you be a late implater , and does everything have to develop as stated by all the books ,or do you think things can go slightly slower ?

I'm at work . We paid for a scan because all my symptoms just disappeared .

OrangeGloss Mon 17-Jan-11 09:27:50

I've been told that going by LMP doesn't take into account cycle length, when you OV or when you implanted. I've also read that growth rates can be different and some women just don't measure up to their LMP dates.

The dr gave me a 10-20% chance of things being ok, so not great odds, but early pg is so uncertain anyway

Have your symptoms come back? Could you have blood tests? Sorry if I missed you saying that already. Actually, the dr sounded more positive when she rang to say my bloods were doubling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now