Talk

Advanced search

£200ish for NCT course worth it or not?

(8 Posts)
Danilou22 Thu 13-Jan-11 22:08:26

Sorry this has probably been asked before. I am a first time mum and willing to pay if it is really worth it. Would love to hear experiences.

PipPipPip Thu 13-Jan-11 22:11:46

Not sure if they're worth it (ours booked for Feb) but they offer reduced courses if you're on a low income and/or a student.

Highlandgirl Thu 13-Jan-11 23:05:12

Hi,
Currently on my NCT course, started last week. So far I can say, I've really enjoyed it. Real mix of women in my class, only 7 of us. Age range from 28 to 45.

A few of us are meeting up next week out of the class for coffee etc etc. If for nothing else it's lovely to meet other new mums..who are all having babies 3 weeks apart.

DH has now become much more interested in everything and i think he liked meeting other first time dads.

grin

daisystone Thu 13-Jan-11 23:14:10

Yes they are great for meeting a group of women and having a shared experience. The women at NCT don't just go to learn, they go to meet other women in the same boat so that they will have a support network.

I was the last to have my baby out of our group (early December) and we are all meeting up now for coffee very regularly. It is great to have other people to bounce things off and who can empathise.
There were 8 ladies in my group and we all still meet up - some more regularly than others.

You won't get the same experience at the hospital ante natal classes. There you are lumped together with all sorts of peopel, so you might be with some teenage mums, or some women from other backgrounds who you know you won't see again.

The women at NCT are generally bright and nice and a little bit older. The youngest in our group was 25 and then everyone else was in their 30s.

£200 is a small price to pay for a group of friends or a support network.

CrispyTheCrisp Thu 13-Jan-11 23:16:44

Yes, again for the support if you don't have family/friends close who are going through similar stages in their life

We had moved 100 miles and i had not met many local people as i worked away a lot. Our NCT group had 6 couples and i still see 2 of them regularly 4 years on.

jubblicious Fri 14-Jan-11 00:46:00

We went to NCT classes and they were superb. We learnt so much and they make you feel empowered about making choices for childbirth.

Also, DH enjoyed them. He got to talk to other dads and it helped him to become useful in the labour room. So i didn't scream at him!!

I agree that you get to meet great people on the course and you do keep in touch post birth. The coffee mornings help to keep you sane!

CountBapula Fri 14-Jan-11 01:21:41

What daisystone said. Maybe I got lucky with my group, but thev7 women I met on my course are lovely and the most brilliant local support network - so much so that I almost shudder to think what life would be like if I hadn't done the course. We meet up every week and have our own facebook group that we use to swap tips, rant and arrange meet-up. One of them lives a couple of streets away and we've become quite close and are considering sharing childcare when we go back to work.

Danilou22 Fri 14-Jan-11 07:58:52

Right with that and talking to friends I will pay for the course today. Thank you ladies x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now