Talk

Advanced search

25 weeks but (supposedly) measuring 30

(4 Posts)
GrumpyFish Thu 13-Jan-11 20:03:58

MW checked my fundal height today, and at 25 weeks measured me at 30 weeks. She has referred me to the hospital for a fluid level scan.

Am trying not to panic about measuring so big, although google has not put my mind at rest! DS was a big baby (very very long), but I don't think I measured big until about 36 weeks.

That said, I tried (with the help of DH!) to measure my own fundal height at home this evening. I don't get anything like 30 - at most, I get it to be 27. There's no real art to measuring fundal height, is there? I would have thought that doing it at home carefully should give the same results? 30cm on the tape is clearly way above the top of my uterus.

Does anyone have any experience of either measuring this big this early, or of measuring fundal height? Also (a bit embarrasing) the loo at the doctors was out of order and my appointment with the MW was about 40 minutes late, I was absolutely bursting - could this make my fundal height seem bigger?! I did mention this to her but she didn't really comment.

ilovemydogandMrObama Thu 13-Jan-11 20:12:46

My midwife says that the only accurate measurement is by scan. The reason being that the tape measure method can be quite subjective; different midwife may take a different measurement.

Scouseem Thu 13-Jan-11 20:27:36

I know a lot of midwives don't really think much about measuring with a tape measure as different midwives measure you different and the way the baby is lying can alter it as well. Least you will get another scan to see your baby and just to check everything is ok. Good luck.

fairybubbles Thu 13-Jan-11 21:22:00

i think it probably depends on the position the baby is lying in as well. breech/horizontal would surely give different measurements?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now