Talk

Advanced search

Just found out it's twins! Any advice?

(10 Posts)
cake4breakfast Thu 13-Jan-11 19:45:45

My 12 week scan revealed twins! Both dp and I are very happy but in shock! Am actually 13.5 too, which means I got my dates wrong. The more I try to read about it on the internet, the more freaked out I get! Each has it's own placenta - how do I know if they're identical or not? And though my EDD is July 16th, I read 37 weeks is considered full term and often even earlier. How do I know when to go on maternity leave?

Any mums out there with twins and some sensible advice?

ChippingIn Thu 13-Jan-11 19:47:51

LOL your excitement and confusion is palpable

Start now learning to like:

Ahhh Double Trouble.

SoMuchToBits Thu 13-Jan-11 19:49:17

I don't have twins, but am one myself.

My main advice is

Get lots of help

Don't call them names beginning with the same letter/rhyming etc

Try to dress them a bit differently if you can, let them each have their own personality. This is even more important if they are identical.

MirandaGoshawk Thu 13-Jan-11 19:51:12

Congratulations! Advice - where to start? Get out of work as early as you can. Yes, twins tend to develop more quickly than singletons.

I've got twins. They were born two weeks after I finished work! I tried to keep u with all the other mothers in my antenatal group but, in hindsight, overdid it. I should've rested more.

Er, other advice - stop reading about it on the internet! Seriously, I got freaked out too, but had a fantastic midwife & all was well. IMO being able to trust the medical professionals looking after you and being hapy to take their advice is paramount. Have a look round the hospital first & ask lots of questions.

But second-hand stuff and re-sell it.

That's all I can think of for now!

MirandaGoshawk Thu 13-Jan-11 19:52:26

Buy second-hand... keyboard is crap.

Snowfalls108 Thu 13-Jan-11 19:59:26

head over to the antenatel threads, there's a twin club over there. Lots of info!

Snowfalls108 Thu 13-Jan-11 19:59:26

head over to the antenatel threads, there's a twin club over there. Lots of info!

duckyfuzz Thu 13-Jan-11 20:01:51

good luck and congratulations! It took me ages to get my head round having twins, you will though, eventually...

start stocking up the freezer now, don't bother with moses baskets, let them share a cot, bouncy chairs are great as you can bounce one with foot whilst feeding/cuddling the other, and be prepared to go nowhere for a few weeks!

Mine were born at 35 weeks, non identical, a week in hosp but not SCBU, on 75th centile now (age 7). I have a couple of books, will be happy to pass them on if you message me

UntamedShrew Thu 13-Jan-11 20:04:16

I have non ID boys. It's brilliant!

They were born at 38 weeks, I worked until 33 weeks which felt about right for me.

Congratulations!

Advice?
Don't panic, it really is much more fun than having babies one at a time
Join TAMBA and a local twins club if you have one
Get a mountain buggy if you can afford it, nipper 360 if not

cake4breakfast Thu 13-Jan-11 20:05:08

Thanks everyone! SoMuchToBits - to put your mind at rest, we have no intention of giving them rhyming/similar names or dressing them the same!

And Miranda - I'm all over the second-hand idea!

Thanks again - off to antenatal threads :-) x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now