Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

am i ok to use canestan cream when pg?

(17 Posts)
lizandlulu Thu 13-Jan-11 12:41:09

just that really. didnt want to have to bother my midwife to ask something so trivial

belgo Thu 13-Jan-11 12:41:43

I used it.

Yes (unless the advice has drastically changed over the last couple of years)

They don't like you using the pessaries though unless it's under a Doctors advice, and even then you need to insert them digitally rather than with the applicator.

lizandlulu Thu 13-Jan-11 12:44:41

i just got the cream so no worries about pessaries.

thanks

daytoday Thu 13-Jan-11 13:13:12

Yes. Just been to doctor. He said pessaries and creams ok. But you can't take the tablets. That said, do check with the pharmacist.

SerenaJoy Thu 13-Jan-11 14:03:06

I was told by both doctor and midwife that the cream is fine. In fact, when I told my MW that my thrush wasn't clearing up with the cream she said 'Put more on. Put loads on'.

I've been practically bathing in the stuff grin

Petalouda Thu 13-Jan-11 17:21:35

I nearly asked this question late last night, so thanks! And so lots of people get this infuriating itch then?! Nearly drove me berserk last night, although there's nothing else to indicate it's thrush.

lizandlulu Thu 13-Jan-11 21:20:15

mine is more just soreness than an itch. not particularily itchy until i start! good job i am usually in bedgrin

i have put abit of cream on but doesnt seem to be doing anything, maybe i need more!

Petalouda Fri 14-Jan-11 06:13:21

I've found an ice pack down my pj bottoms is bliss! Only at bedtime for me too, fortunately!

CrapBag Fri 14-Jan-11 09:41:20

Pessaries are ok as long as you don't have a low lying placenta, its also ok to use the applicator. My doctor said you would have to really insert it hard and up very far to do any damage.

Cream is fine. Thrush is driving me mad at the moment!! Glad to hear that I can use loads of cream though, I thought it was suppose to be a thin layer and I'm still itching after starting it on Monday evening.

CrapBag Fri 14-Jan-11 09:42:35

I have also found that it is worse in bed. I have stopped wearing underwear as I found I was waking up and really sweating (all over, but between legs as well) and that was making the itching much worse.

Petalouda Fri 14-Jan-11 18:34:51

CrapBag the knickerless option crossed my mind last night, I'm getting horrendous night sweats. Might try it tonight (don't tell DH, I don't want to be fending him off, although how he could find me desirable in this state is beyond me!)

dribbleface Fri 14-Jan-11 21:28:06

Not sure if it would help you ladies but i used biofem active gel when i had thrush when pregnant - got it from boots. Herbal and safe in pregnancy and its fab.

Lurking on the pregancy boards as ttc.

SerenaJoy Sat 15-Jan-11 17:43:35

Thanks for the tip dribbleface, I'll certainly give it a go.

I'd try hanging a gypsy charm from a north facing tree if I thought it would help get rid of this infernal itch! smile

lizandlulu Sat 15-Jan-11 21:22:13

ohh i wish i ahd read this yesterday, i have been in a boots todaysad not going anywhere near shops till wednesday now

Tokyotwist Sun 16-Jan-11 09:15:32

I'd avoid the pessaries and stick to the cream. With my first I used the pessaries on the Drs orders and ended up bleeding.
Rang the midwife for advice and she scared the living daylights out of me by telling me to prepare for the worst and then left me for 24 hrs stewing on that sentence.
All was fine but I still haven't quite forgiven either of them.

allyfe Sun 16-Jan-11 11:37:55

I was told the 1% cream was fine but not the 2% cream. But it is worth asking the midwife because she can give it to you for free.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: