Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Baby wouldn't move for 12 week scan.

(18 Posts)
fallingandlaughing Wed 12-Jan-11 22:04:57

Had my long awaited 12 weeks scan today. We were looking forward to seeing our little one jumping around. But nothing. The baby just sat there. The sonographer and my obstetrician weren't bothered, and said everything looks fine. So I Should take their word for it. But... has anyone else had this?

TheRedQueen Wed 12-Jan-11 22:10:28

Yes, my daughter resolutely refused to move for most scans - lazy beast. Later in the pregnancy, I seem to remember being made to drink pints of water until she perked up and performed! Can't remember why it was supposed to help.

harrygracejessica Wed 12-Jan-11 22:13:41

One of my twins was the other way round for the last scan and she struggled to get measurements etc cos he wouldnt stay still long enough!! Scanned the other one and went back to the first and he had fallen asleep lol

MollysChambers Wed 12-Jan-11 22:16:15

Yes. With DD3. Only movement at 12 week scan was her heartbeat.

In my (pg) wisdom - this seems so ridiculous now - I decided to have a strong coffee prior to my 20 week scan in order to promote some activity. Cue baby literally bouncing off the walls. Sonographer had a hell of a job taking measurements!

Please don't worry.

TitianTinselTemptress Wed 12-Jan-11 22:31:46

Totally totally normal for them not to move, don't worry your baby is fine - congratulations

cocoachannel Wed 12-Jan-11 22:46:29

Absolutely normal; mine refused to move for either the 12 or 20 week scan. For the 20 week the sonographer had to send me for a 15 minute walk and to eat something sweet to encourage the baby to move into a position from which the tests could be completed.

Must take after her father...

Scouseem Wed 12-Jan-11 22:55:49

Yes its normal. I'm 20weeks pregnant and had a scan at 11wks where he was jumping and spining and wouldn't keep still then a wk later at 12wks he didn't move at all. Think they just caught baby while he was sleeping like they did with our baby. Good luck with the next 28weeks.

geewaf Wed 12-Jan-11 23:04:14

Totally normal, ours slept soundly during first scan so got the perfect scan photo but was bouncing about wildly for the next one. Nothing to worry about.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Thu 13-Jan-11 08:27:22

Mine has slept through every scan. Flat out refused to move even when I jiggled around, the sonographer prodded and I willed it to with every fibre of my being. Nada. In completely the wrong position too...

Often results in repeat scans if they can't get what they want though, so if they're satisfied I really wouldn't worry.

DomesticGoddess31 Thu 13-Jan-11 08:28:05

Mine was bouncing all over the place but the sonographer did say its akso quite normal for them not to move at all. She told me she suggests a bar of chocolate just before your scan. Sugar plus caffeine = wriggly baby apparently.

tlise Thu 13-Jan-11 09:31:05

They would have called you back if they weren't happy x

knackered76 Thu 13-Jan-11 09:44:08

I had the same thing with mine. It's my 20 week on monday and it's been playing on my mind that the baby didn't move! I have felt a few flutters since then so have decided not to worry too much about it and as the others have said, it's not uncommon and totally normal

natmay27 Thu 13-Jan-11 10:40:02

mine too was the same!! was so laid back at 12 wk scan even had his/her little legs crossed! making up for it now though 20 weeks and constantly jiggling around. got 20wk scan next wk bet its lazy again just for that!

Fab123 Thu 13-Jan-11 12:48:20

I had my first scan last week and was dissapointed at first because it was just a blob. Sonographer said it had it's back to us on it's front. I laughed and my diaphram acted like a trampoline and shot the baby up and it started moving about! I wonder if that would help? We got a lovely clear shot of baby stretching on it's back. I don't know if this is a common thing?

JoEW Thu 13-Jan-11 15:24:15

Mine was face down with its head in its hands for the 12 week scan. Wouldn't budge. I wouldn't worry, as others have said it's very common. My DH still claims that out 12 week scan photos are 'pictures of soup'. It is quite hard to make anything out.

20 week scan you'll get a much better picture and they call you back if they don't get to see everything they want.

Good luck!

sh77 Thu 13-Jan-11 15:27:49

Mine has been awfully stubborn - didn't move for 12, 20, 22, 24, 27 week scans. Consultant had to shake my tummy with the hand scan thingy and prod hard. He uncurled his hands but that was it. I am not worried at all as he is moving lots outside of scan times.

My daughter was the opposite.

fallingandlaughing Thu 13-Jan-11 18:12:29

Thanks everyone. Very reassuring. Let's hope this means the little one likes their sleep.

MollysChambers Fri 14-Jan-11 09:40:48

Yeah that's what I said too....... wink grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: