Talk

Advanced search

Folic acid after 12 weeks

(7 Posts)
FeralGirlCambs Tue 11-Jan-11 13:43:11

Have been taking folic acid whilst TTC and up to now (10 +4); am wondering whether the advice to take it for first twelve weeks means don't after that, or whether I might as well carry on till I finish the latest pack (prob another couple of months)? Anyone got any thoughts?

Tokyotwist Tue 11-Jan-11 14:00:39

I think it's advised for 12 weeks because this is when the baby's nervous system is developed. As folic acid helps prevent Spinal Bifida (where the spinal cord is exposed), that would suggest you don't need such high levels after 12 weeks.

Don't forget it is also put in food these days, like Bread, so you will probably still be getting some just not at such high levels.

I've got the 400mg dose as part of my pregnancy vitamin and have enough to last 6 months of my pregnancy. I won't be bothering after that.

MakemineaGandT Tue 11-Jan-11 14:03:20

my midwife said to take until 13 weeks are up. Taking after that won't harm you/baby but the spine is formed by then so the extra folic acid won't help at all re: spina bifida from that point on. I am taking the rest of mine - might as well finish the pack!

sereka Tue 11-Jan-11 14:04:06

Hi there... we are the same times... 10+4. I am also taking folic acids, but the ones i take are preganacare brand which has 18 other vitamins and minerals. I will continue to take after 12 weeks. however if you take the folic acid prescribed by the doctor you can continue to take after 12 weeks but it will be doing nothing much according to my doctor. these only contain folic acid and so of no real benefit to little bubba after 12 weeks.

good luck with the pregnancy. .

lilly13 Tue 11-Jan-11 14:12:06

Hi there, it really depends on your medical profile. My consultant recommended that I continue taking folic acid throughout the entire pregnancy. Though I agree with the above that the 1st trimester is crucial.

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 11-Jan-11 14:15:06

I took it right the way through the last time, only because it was part of a pregnancy multivitamin. I've got the same one this time and will take them till they expire in April!

FeralGirlCambs Tue 11-Jan-11 14:55:05

Thanks ladies! Your thoughts seem similar to mine - it won't do any harm to tidy up the rest of the pack. Nice to meet another 10+4 sereka

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now