Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Going on holiday at 23 weeks

(9 Posts)
minibmw2010 Sat 08-Jan-11 18:44:19

Hello ladies, we are hoping to book a last "pre-baby" holiday in the next few days, to go about 1 February when I'll be 23 weeks (for 10 nights). Having read the stories about various people going into early labour while away I'm now becoming a bit nervous, having never thought about it until now. We're hoping to go to the Maldives. On a different note, any who did travel while around that stage, how did you find long flights (if you did any).

Thank you.

Eglu Sat 08-Jan-11 18:49:17

I went on holiday when pg with DS1. I was only 18 weeks though, and we didn't want to risk long haul. I didn't want a flight longer than 4hours.

anythingwithagiraffeonit Sat 08-Jan-11 23:22:56

Hi,

I went to Cyprus when 31 -33 weeks pregnant and apart from the heat (45 degrees one afternoon!!) it was absolutely lovely to have that relaxing time!

Flying was fine, but only about 5/6 hours if I remember correctly..

One problem actually :p I was so big by then that the seat back tray wouldn't go down... Lol, take a sandwich!

www.justgiving.com/adrianjacob (in aid of great Ormond street hospital)

Loopymumsy Sun 09-Jan-11 08:33:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleMilla Sun 09-Jan-11 09:39:51

I am 25 weeks and just got back from a trip to Dubai. 6/7 hour flight and I felt fine. Got some sexy flight sock things and just made sure I got up and wandered around lots and drank plenty of water.

We had an overnight flight on way out, which wasn't great as I couldn't settle. So aside from that all good.

I feel brilliant for doing it. Plus, only time I'll ever feel happy in a bikini! DO IT!!

I had to get to get a 'fit to fly' letter from GP - airline on way home asked for it.

Yes, chance of early labour. But I offset that with seeing buddies, getting some vit D (which seemed to give baby a HUGE growth spurt!) and feeling very healthy.

minibmw2010 Sun 09-Jan-11 10:05:59

Thank you ladies, you've all given me more confidence about the whole thing. Anxiety Hormones seem to have kicked in over the last week or so, sigh. (Am 19 weeks today).

DH has been great and said he doesn't care where we go so long as I'm happy about it .. We went to the Maldives a couple of years ago so innoculations wise I'm fine. Plus I've deliberately made sure we've picked an island with a pool too so that I can do quick dips if the tide is out (which happened a lot on our last island) plus I'll make sure I drink lots of water.

Eglu Sun 09-Jan-11 10:47:18

I would also say be careful of the sun. You may get all blotchy. In my case I actually just got heat rash if in the sun at all. I spent my whole holiday in the shade. Still enjoyed it though.

onimolap Sun 09-Jan-11 10:49:58

You should be fine (Maldives are non malarial, aren't they?)

But do make sure you have good travel insurance that covers you in pregnancy.

minibmw2010 Sun 09-Jan-11 12:01:05

Yes definitely, DH has already checked with the insurance people and they've said we're covered (its a yearly cover on his bank account). I do remember last time I spent a lot of time in the shade when I wasn't in the water just because I love being warm but not too hot you know? I use SF50 anyway, always have. So now I feel more confident and am getting very excited. Thank you ladies for helping me get it more clearly in my mind. Maldives here we come !!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: