Talk

Advanced search

Why do I end up crying each time I laugh?

(9 Posts)
jenga079 Sat 08-Jan-11 18:32:44

I literally don't know whether to laugh or cry...

I'm 12 weeks pregnant with my first baby and just keep crying at the most random times. In particular, if I laugh for longer than about three seconds it quickly turns to uncontrollable tears. My poor DP is scared to make me laugh any more and I'm terrified it's going to happen in public (I'm a teacher and the kids often do funny things! I don't want to cry in front of them)

Is this normal?!

Kitty81 Sat 08-Jan-11 18:57:57

I don't know why it happens, but I was exactly the same, from about 10 weeks. Got it under control by about 16 weeks though. Pretty sure it's normal

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Sat 08-Jan-11 21:33:40

My Goodness - this happens to me too!!

My eyes usually water anyway when having a full on laughing fit, but recently I have actually ended up crying uncontrollably!

I got told a hillarious story, had a good old laugh and then spent a few minuites trying to stop myself from sobbing - eventhough there was nothing sad about the story.

I thought I was just a wierdo, so you have reassured me! grin

PipPipPip Sun 09-Jan-11 01:23:25

At the stroke of midnight on New Year, I was so happy that I started sobbing.

I was watching a documentary about bears on Tuesday, and was weeping uncontrollably about the mother bear's bond with its cub.

I heard a Stevie Wonder song today that I liked so much I burst into tears.

Oh god, the list goes on and on!! Total emotional loony

jenga079 Sun 09-Jan-11 16:38:17

Ah, I'm not alone then! Good good. We're all losing it together smile

Grey's Anatomy is the worst for me. If someone survives I sob, if they die I sob, if there's a joke I laugh, then sob.

Oh well, there are worse things than having to keep tissues on standby!

LexieH Sun 09-Jan-11 21:43:07

ahh i think it's so sweet and completely understandable. being pregnant is such an emotional rollercoaster!! i am 11 weeks and both my husband and i are SO emotional, we well up at just about everything and anything. Today i started to eat some dim sum which tasted so good and i wanted to burst into tears, i managed to control myself as we were in a restaurant but i just find it so funny and lovely. I guess i'm lucky haven;t sobbed yet, that must be hard!!

PipPipPip Mon 10-Jan-11 00:32:18

LexieH - I literally laughed out loud at you wanting to cry at the delicious dim sum. I completely relate!!

jenga079 Mon 10-Jan-11 18:22:58

Hahah, can you imagine what the waiters would have done if you'd cried about the food?

nymphadora Mon 10-Jan-11 18:25:43

Dh took the MN book off me after I laughed/sobbed all the way through

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now