Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Car seat confusion - Maxi Cosi

(17 Posts)
TooImmature2BMum Sat 08-Jan-11 17:25:35

Hi

My SIL gave us the Maxi Cosi car seat (Cabrio Fix), which is great, but I'm now really confused about which base I need. Is it the Isofix one? Can you fit the car seat in the car with just the seat belt or do you have to have a base? Don't want to accidentally buy the wrong thing and get all stressed watching DH try to fit it! grin

Thanks!

jezebelle Sat 08-Jan-11 17:27:36

You can use an Easy Base (non isofix) or an an easy basy which is isofix if you have that function in your car, or just a seat belt !! 3 choices

BertieBotts Sat 08-Jan-11 17:28:45

It depends on your car. You can fit it with just the seatbelt if you want, or if you want a base there are two options - ISOfix and non-ISOfix. You can only use the ISOfix base if you have ISOfix in your car (I think you would probably know if you did)

If you want a base I'd just go to mothercare or halfords and say this is my car, what base do I need? And they should tell you.

HTH

Tootlesmummy Sat 08-Jan-11 17:29:13

I think it can be fitted with either the 3 point seat belt or an isofix base from what I can remember.

I would nip along to Mothercare or somewhere that does child seats and see what they say on the ones in the shop.

If it is one that does fit onto the isofix base I would highly recommend getting one for your car if you have isofix anchor points as it 1) ensures the seat is always fitted propelry 2) makes it easy to get it in and out of the car.

BertieBotts Sat 08-Jan-11 17:29:48

Yes that's the one jezebelle - easybase is a non-isofix base, easyfix is the isofix base.

TooImmature2BMum Sat 08-Jan-11 17:39:20

Wow, that was fast! Thanks guys. The car does have Isofix points - think will do as you suggest and go check out Mothercare/Halfords and get someone to sort it out for me. I like the idea of the base if it's easier and safer, but I was a bit put off by DH saying they cost £100. I naively didn't budget for car seats after SIL said we could have hers! Might have to wait for HIP grant to arrive before buying. smile

jezebelle Sat 08-Jan-11 17:46:15

The bases are fairly cheap on ebay.

BertieBotts Sat 08-Jan-11 17:54:17

If you buy a base on ebay you can always get halfords etc to fit it for you

BertieBotts Sat 08-Jan-11 17:55:01

But having said that I never had one and managed fine without. I think the cost is ridiculous!

nannyl Sat 08-Jan-11 18:00:05

maxi cosi have 2 isofix base

the easyfix and the family fix

the seat is quite a bit safe when used with the easyfix based instead of the family fis base. (you can use the family fix base, which is a bot more expensive with a group 1 car seat too, (the maxicosi pearl) but if you have a maxi-cosi pearl CANT fit it with belts, which might cause as issue if travelling in a friends car or hire car etc)

BertieBotts Sat 08-Jan-11 18:44:07

She hasn't got the pebble though, so the familyfix base won't work.

FessaEst Sat 08-Jan-11 18:54:29

The family fix works with the cabriofix and the pebble.

I have an easyfix base on DH's car and the familyfix base in mine. I actually prefer the easyfix base as you have the visual green dots, whereas the familyfix you have to crane to see the lights or hear the beep. However, the familyfix can be moved to give more leg room, and DD at 14 months benefits from that.

The easyfix base works in cars without isofix, you use a seatbelt through clips on the base and it is still easier than just seatbelt alone. My parents don't have isofix in their car, but we still transferred our base to their car.

nannyl Sat 08-Jan-11 19:12:11

bertie family fix works with pebble pearl and cabrio car seats

the easy fix is SAFER

Highlandgirl Sat 08-Jan-11 19:46:26

Get on the Maxi Cosi website you can put in your car details, model and age etc and it will tell you which base fits your car and the seat...! Easy xx

BertieBotts Sat 08-Jan-11 19:48:14

Ah okay, sorry blush

1Catherine1 Sat 08-Jan-11 21:02:16

I also would advocate buying the base to go with it which as others have said you can pick up very cheap on ebay. It just makes everything easier and more importantly - safer. I bought the non-isofix base for my 3 door KA because when I went into Halfords I had a chat with the guy who worked there who explained that with fitting straight in the car I would need to ensure it was 100% right everytime as where with the base it was just clip in and go then pull and release. Reassurance for safety of baby and will stop me damaging my back leaning over a car seat to strap it in.

TooImmature2BMum Sat 08-Jan-11 21:07:11

Ebay is a great idea - will start looking. Also like the idea of putting car make, model and age into Maxi Cosi website and getting answers! Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: