Talk

Advanced search

Mattresses and covers?

(5 Posts)
Laska Sat 08-Jan-11 14:23:22

I need to get a mattress for our cot, and would like to get a good one, possibly an organic one. But I gather from the SIDS advice that the new mattress needs to have a waterproof cover on it. Which kind of negates getting an organic one. And wouldn't it be rather sweaty for the baby sleeping with a plasticky cover under the sheets?

What did you do for your first babies?

nannyl Sat 08-Jan-11 14:43:28

what about a hoppycick one
the are so soft and approved for young babies. (some waterproof covers are only suitable for children over 12 month)

they are super soft wash and tumble dry well

We have one on our bed!

nannyl Sat 08-Jan-11 14:43:55

i mean hippyChick

edeluna Sat 08-Jan-11 15:01:16

I'm planning to get an organic mattress from www.naturalmat.co.uk. They also sell waterproof covers, so I think it should be fine, though I admit I haven't yet done much reading on SIDS.

John Lewis also sell organic mattresses and waterproof covers and sheets.

hoolabombshell Sat 08-Jan-11 15:13:54

Understand having a waterproof cover for practical reasons but is it considerd a SIDS risk not to have one? Does that mean a wet mattress is a SIDS risk? So confused!

I understand a new mattress is probably better for air circulation but would have thought a waterproof cover on top of this would reduce circulation. I gather it is about all the layers you're using but am prob just being 'duh'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now