Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Travel abroad at 35weeks? WWYD

(21 Posts)
SprogletCooking Fri 07-Jan-11 20:13:31

Hi all,

PIL booked a trip to France for us all last year (which is lovely) but I've just found out I am pregnant smile and I'll be about 35weeks.

Am I bonkers for still thinking about going?

The travel will all be car and ferry and I really do want to go if it's not a ridiculous idea.

Otherwise I'd either have to send DH and DS off to France and stay at my mums for the week (if I can convince DH to go) or all three of us stay home. Both of these options would ruin my PIL's dream of having a trip with their sons and their sons families. (As more background FIL has a degenerative disorder which will make travel in future years almost impossible and he beat cancer last year - this trip is really important to them)

DH hasn't yet realised that travel/insurance may be an issue for me and we're going to have to sort ferry tickets soon so I need to get clear what is safest and best for me and the bump.

So WWYD? Is travelling to France at 35weeks reckless or a measured risk?

debka Fri 07-Jan-11 20:17:17

I'd do it. But my babies are always late. When would you be returning? It would also depend I think on how your pg goes- if you have something unpleasant like high BP or gestational diabetes it may be impossible.

Congratulations on your pg by the way!!

wigglesrock Fri 07-Jan-11 20:27:24

I'd go, <waves to Debka>, I'm coming up to 35 weeks now and I'd love a trip away. If I've read it right you'll be returning at 36 weeks, obviously depending on any complications etc as Debka said, but go for it.

SprogletCooking Fri 07-Jan-11 20:36:10

Thanks for the quick replies ladies!!

It's good to hear that you don't think I'm being bonkers about wanting to go!

I know I can't be sure of any complications later on in my pregnancy and if they appear I'm sure that PIL would understand if I dropped out then (I'm just not sure they would understand if I told them I wasn't going now - especially as we aren't planning on telling them for another few weeks!)

debka Fri 07-Jan-11 20:38:36

Not bonkers at all.

<waves back to wiggles >

MistleToad Fri 07-Jan-11 20:40:08

I flew to Spain on a last minute trip at 34 weeks PG. I was in good health but the journey was a struggle TBH, sitting down for more than half an hour at a time was really uncomfortable.

The problem is, you don't know how you are going to feel at that stage of your pregnancy, some women are full of beans and others are uncomfortable with high blood pressure. You may even have had the baby by then.

A friend of mine gave birth unexpectedly in France. It was a huge hassle documentation-wise and she had to stay in france for several weeks after the birth sorting out paperwork, medical authority to travel etc while she was recovering from the birth. She then had to deal with flying post- birth (heavy bleeding, leaking boobs etc) with a newborn. What freaked her out most was that the Drs and nurses were all speking french when she was taken to hospital and communication was really difficult, it really scared her.

Could you deal with all that?

If yes, i would suggest that you keep an open mind and make a decision nearer the time when you know how you are feeling.

Travel insurance will be a problem, you will only be covered by your E111 form (or whatever it's called nowadays)

Congrats on your pregnancy BTW!

COCKadoodledooo Fri 07-Jan-11 20:45:12

I don't think I'd be deciding just yet tbh.

Depends on how the pregnancy is going and all that guff. And personally I'd rather spend the week at home with me mum than stranded in a foreign country with the outlaws!

SprogletCooking Fri 07-Jan-11 21:08:27

I think thats the problem, it's a long way off and so much can happen before August so I should just wait - however I know we need to get things like ferry tickets and passports sorted and I don't want to waste money on these if I was being completely stupid to think of going.

Think I'm going to have to have a chat with DH and tell him that I'm planning on going at the moment, but that if I need to I will stay with my mum and he and DS can go without me (although how I'll manage to let DS go without me is currently beyond me...)

SprogletCooking Fri 07-Jan-11 21:09:27

Just typing it out on here helps to get ideas sorted in my head! Thanks!!

mandy1978 Fri 07-Jan-11 21:13:37

i would go if i had a pregnancy like mine, pretty easy and i am very mobile still!!

why not, i think your back up plan sounds great xxx

CupcakesHay Fri 07-Jan-11 21:13:52

I would have said do it (until 3 weeks ago) - but I'm currently 36 weeks preg and have had trapped nerve due to baby moving onto my right side and can hardly walk, sit for too long, sleep properly, etc.

Plus you'd need to think about health care if you have a problem over there. Can't you get it arranged a few weeks early?

If not second plan sounds good - but again, you might be v. gutted if everyone else is going and you can't go.

COCKadoodledooo Fri 07-Jan-11 21:24:17

Well passports last 5/10 years, so that'd be an investment really, if you were likely to use them again. (we dipped out of a holiday abroad with the outlaws last year simply because we'd have to fork out for 4 of the bastard things and they're a ridiculous price!). Ferry tickets you might get refunded if you were unable to travel for medical reasons.

When do they need the decision by? Can you keep them hanging for a few weeks until you're ready to tell them about the pregnancy? Are they likely to be understanding if you book then back out? Are you in a position to stump up the cost if you can't get a refund?

My pregnancy with ds2 I'd have done this like a shot btw (wish I'd had the chance!). No way I could have managed it with ds1 though, and that's why my first response was as it was.

SprogletCooking Fri 07-Jan-11 21:40:25

I appreciate the cautionary posts too! I was after views and need to hear all of them!

We can't really keep them waiting weeks (I know they want to sort plans asap) so if I'm lucky I have days - and I don't want to tell them yet!

I think we will go ahead and book everything and then if we have to cancel we'll look into refunds.

I will be sooooo disapointed if I have to miss it but then PIL will be if DH and DS don't go.

PIL are likely to be understanding if I pull out- afterall I'd only not go if the health of their unborn GC (or lovely DIL) was at risk! How can they argue with that!!

COCKadoodledooo Fri 07-Jan-11 21:54:26

Then I reckon your plan is a good one - hope you do get to go!

CluckyKate Fri 07-Jan-11 21:58:08

Would be such a shame to miss it, so if you can afford to bear the cost should you need to cancel then do it. Is worth spending a bit more to secure comfy seating on the ferry - I travelled to France at 34 weeks and had to upgrade to flatbed seats for a day crossing as the normal ones were too uncomfortable for me however we travelled out overnight (again on flatbeds - booked lateish so no cabins available) and I slept just fine.

Just make sure you allow enough time for loo breaks for your drive and bring plenty of pillows/cushions to prop yourself up with.

You've also reminded me of a friend who was born on a Sealink Ferry (was in 70's - don't think Sealink exist any more) and was given a lifelong ticket for free ferry travel.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 07-Jan-11 22:01:54

Can you not tell them that you are pregnant and ask them to pull the trip forward if at all possible?

babynelly2010 Sat 08-Jan-11 01:53:00

I just flew from London to San Francisco at almost 35 weeks and returned back at 1 day shy of 36 weeks.
My pregnancy is normal and I had economy plus seat with extra leg room. I would make your trip booking flexible and see how you feel when time gets closer.
People always tell me things during this pregnancy like don't bent over, don't lift this, don't do that but if they saw me smashing through the crowds with my suitcase during the snow mess in Heathrow at the end of this December they probably would not say things that anymore.
I am glad I went on the trip because it was wonderful to spend holidays with the family.

Shootingstar100 Sat 08-Jan-11 22:16:49

I'm in same dilemma - we booked a holiday in France then found out I was pregnant & would be 36 wks!! I haven't been pregnant before so can't imagine how I would feel - at least you can compare your last experience of pregnancy. I think we're going to cancel and go somewhere more local - it was the language thing that wouod scare me if something happened or I went into labour early!!

theevildead2 Sun 09-Jan-11 07:28:11

I think your EHIC will cover you in France, maternity and pre exisiting conditions are all covered so you don't need additional insurance I believe.

France has very good hospitals and maternity care if you went in to labour early.

But if I were you just because you don't really know how you will feel at 35 weeks, tell you dh to book himself and then pay a bit extra to book later in the day if you feel up to it.

Order your passports and the EHIC now though just in case. Good luck and congrats!

woolymindy Sun 09-Jan-11 08:02:16

Are you allowed to go on the ferry that pregnant? I think not.

Many congrats though

gherkins Sun 09-Jan-11 09:27:32

In your shoes I'd go, definitely!

Just warn the PILs that there is a small chance you'll have to duck out at the last minute if your medical circumstances change, although that doesn't mean your DH and other DC can't join them for what will be an important family holiday.

If such a scenario happens, you can just chill at your mum's for the week eating chocolate, and let DH do his family holiday, no problemo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: