Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Daft question but how do you give birth with SPD?

(19 Posts)
CrazyChristmasLady Fri 07-Jan-11 15:26:38

I don't know if I actually have this but my pelvis is killing me. I am in loads of pain and can hardly walk at the moment and it just aches a lot.

How the hell are you suppose to give birth with your legs open when you can only take small steps for walking and if I want to go out properly in the next 5 or so weeks, I am going to have to hire a wheelchair to get around?

This is DC2. Had back pain with DS but nothing like this. Got sciatic pain, back is agony to the point I want to cry and hips and pelvis are all so painful I can't sleep at the moment.

And I've had such a great pregnancy. sad

Deliaskis Fri 07-Jan-11 15:32:33

First of all, tell your midwife or doctor and get some physio.

I only have this mildly compared to what you have, but my main pain is from forward/backward movement like walking, and lifting one leg up whilst standing on the other (yep, in fact can't stand on one leg at all anymore), but moving legs apart sideways (as per birth positions or 'smear test' position) doesn't hurt nearly as much. A lot of the literature I have got on this says that keeping your hips/pelvis 'level' as in not twisted or tilted is less likely to cause pain, which fits with what I have experienced. Is that the case with you?

If not, pleeeeeease speak to your mw about it, as they will have advice and things to help you and will be able to talk you through options for birth.

D

CrazyChristmasLady Fri 07-Jan-11 15:36:36

My MW did mention physio for all the back pain I have. Unfortunately the things they do I had with DS and I am doing anyway. Support belt, ways to get up etc, I have also borrowed my nans stick otherwise I was going to get referred to get one but I didn't need to. MW did say there is nothing else they can do as I am doing the right things.

Baby may be breech so it could be a non issue anyway but I will ask my MW at my next appointment.

uggmum Fri 07-Jan-11 15:39:45

I had spd with both pregnancies. I managed 2 normal deliveries but I did have an epidural with each one.

Therefore, I felt no pain from the spd during labour. I found walking a bit difficult for a few days as my pelvis was out of line a bit.

CrazyChristmasLady Fri 07-Jan-11 15:46:31

I did have an epidural last time, and it was fantastic, however as I had forceps and a 3rd degree tear, I am hoping to avoid an epidural this time. Shame, it was great!

herbietea Fri 07-Jan-11 15:47:17

Message withdrawn

MinnieMummy Fri 07-Jan-11 15:48:38

I had SPD with all three pregnancies - to be honest physio didn't do much. The support belts helped me but you'll probably get as many people saying they did nothing for them, but still, it's worth talking to the physios. Although they'll probably just tell you to rest and take it easy hmm

First birth - epidural and forceps so not massively relevant
Second birth - water birth, gave birth kneeling while leaning over the edge of the pool so didn't have to open my legs too much if you see!
Third - kneeling on the bed, arms on big pile of cushions, so similar to the second time but to be honest my SPD pain was the last thing on my mind grin

For me it pretty much cleared up straight away. Now, my core strength, (or lack of), there's another story...!

ktwiltshire Fri 07-Jan-11 23:25:06

i have extremely severe SPD with DD3 who is now 7 months, i also was completly dumbfounded at how on earth you could give birth without opening ones legs!!!!! i went to physio but she was little help. i ended up talking to physio and begging drs to actually explain how they planning on delivering the baby naturally, every suggestion they had was followed by me going...but i cant do that, being in that position 'normally' its excrutiating pain let alone pushing the baby out.

eventually....i persauded them to either induce me at 37 weeks or they said they would csection me at 39 weeks. i really wanted a csection but by the time i went for an appointment at 36 weeks i wanted out and was almost completely insame with pain off my head on painkillers so i asked to be innduced at 37 weeks with the vague hope that she wouldnt want to comme out, even with the drugs. and sure enough even though it took a lot of complaing once i got to hospital for them to actually induce me, i eventually went into sort of induced labour after having done pessarys, broken waters and put me on a drip she went into distress and i had to have a csection....so although it sounds horrid, its kinda what i wanted. but it turned out whatever happened i would have needed a csection as she had (somehow lol) completely wrapped herself from head to toe in her cord(!) and no matter when she was born that would have happened!

(i had little natural birting options as not only did i have severe SPD but i have terrribly knees and cant spend more than mere seconds kneeling lol, even on cushions!!)

onimolap Fri 07-Jan-11 23:31:51

I had SPD, worse each pregnancy.

I wandered round during labour, or sat on a birth ball. Actual deliveries were lying left lateral, with DH holding top leg forwards and out a bit.

Silver lining - SPD means your pelvis will "give" easily to the max: good news when evey millimetre matters! I had very short 2nd stages, and I remember from another thread that other afflicted with SPD did so too.

herbietea Fri 07-Jan-11 23:40:12

Message withdrawn

CrapBag Sat 08-Jan-11 12:06:28

Good to hear of short second stages. DS was forceps and 3rd degree tear but I have opted for natural birth again.

Not good about the permenant disability. Was that caused by the quickness of the second stage herbietea?

Its driving me mad, my walking distances seem to be getting shorter and shorter and I have at least 5 weeks left and stuff to do that I can't as it involves getting out to shops. I have told DH though that he is going to have to take me out in a wheelchair as I can't just stay in for 5 weeks.

onimolap Sat 08-Jan-11 12:11:38

I found that some Alexander Technique sessions were really helpful in learning how to move with huge bump.

After each birth, I saw an osteopath to make sure things had gone back straight. It was only 3rd time round that symptoms continued after delivery and normalised only very slowly.

cluelessnchaos Sat 08-Jan-11 12:21:17

I had spd with each 4 dc, getting worse each time. The belt really helped me initially but as I got bigger it just annoyed me and rolled up. I think it's worth you getting fitted for one by the physio.
Giving birth, I could only give birth kneeling over the bed, I could control how much my legs were opening. I edged them open side to side rather than, knees fanning open.

On the plus side I have managed to birth relatively big babies, heads on the 99th centile and I am only 5ft 2, I put this down to the extra movement in my pelvis

herbietea Sat 08-Jan-11 20:21:19

Message withdrawn

BaconFlavour Sat 08-Jan-11 20:23:36

When I gave birth with SPD the midwife said "we only need an 18-inch gap between your knees to get a baby out..."

oh and the epidural was great grin

Makingchanges Sat 08-Jan-11 20:29:45

I had bad SPD and was induced as I also had gestational diabetes. Midwife measured how far I could open my legs. Be firm with this - I mentioned it to my midwife but they switched 30 minutesish before I gave birsth - second midwife was awful, wouldn't listen, didn't believe in SPD (Old-fashioned battle axe) and literally pushed my legs as far apart as they would go and put me in stirrups which was a no no!

Make sure you get measured - its written on your notes and your partner knows to not let them do anything other than that

moosemama Sat 08-Jan-11 20:39:51

I had bad SPD with ds1 and ended up pretty much immobile. I had an epidural for his birth (although for other reasons rather than the spd).

SPD was slightly less bad with ds2 and I gave birth naturally kneeling upright over the headboard of the bed, hardly had to open my legs at all.

After ds2 I went to see a fantastic osteopath, who realigned my pelvis and did lots of work on my spine and legs as well. The difference was incredible. As a result, I didn't get SPD with dd (dc3) until right at the end of the pregnancy and even then it was very mild and didn't cause me any real problems. I had a totally natural birth with her, with no pain relief and still stuck on my back strapped to a monitor as they wouldn't believe I was ready to deliver. hmm She was literally shot out, with her waters intact, after a labour of about an hour and a half.

In my case the spd symptoms didn't clear up until I stopped breastfeeding. I still have to be careful though, as my pelvis is still very loose and I seem to put it out very easily. Good job I live on the same road as the oteopath really.

jellyhead188 Sat 08-Jan-11 21:03:18

Hi - I had SPD with my DD (2nd baby), it was bad but saw an osteopath twice which pretty much totally cleared it up. I gave birth in the water on my knees and didn't even think about the SPD at all.

I've got it this time too and started seeing an osteopath again, I've only had one session but its helped already.

I would really advise seeing someone asap as it makes a world of difference. xx

CrapBag Sun 09-Jan-11 20:30:50

Thanks for all your stories, I'm going to make a doctors appointment tomorrow (assuming they can actually get me in that is).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: