Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Strange compulsions and cravings!

(8 Posts)
TheBreastmilksOnMe Thu 06-Jan-11 19:45:17

I am 37 weeks pregnant with DC2 and for quite a few weeks now I have had almost irrisistable urges to smell people's shoes after they have been wearing them! confused If they are made from leather, even better!

After DP comes home from work I just want to stick my nose in his leather shoes and breathe. Ditto with DS's socks, who is only 2yrs old BTW, not 17yrs!

I could stand in the cupboard under the stairs all day just inhaling the scent of leather handbags, hoover and shake-n-vac.

When it was snowing over xmas I had to go outside and get bowlfuls of fresh snow to eat. I even went as far as pouring maple syrup over it.

If someone mentions 'shoes' or I see someone taking their shoes off I just have this urge and it's so weird. What the hell is all this about? Will it go away? I never got this with my 1st pregnancy. blush

conkertree Thu 06-Jan-11 19:47:19

You probably won't be able to loom at shoes once the baby arrives!

The only similar thing that I had was flash toilet cleaning wipes - couldn't get enough of them. Would have eaten them if I could. Our toilet was very very clean before ds2 arrived.

conkertree Thu 06-Jan-11 19:47:45

Look not loom. Damn this iPad.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Thu 06-Jan-11 19:52:00

Isn't it strange? Please tell me you never actually ate them? You've reminded me of another (dangerous) craving I had after we decorated the dining room. I used white spirit to clean the brushes and left them in it in the downstairs loo to soak for a week or so but really the reason I left them for so long was because everytime I went to the loo I had a quick sniff and it was heaven! I know that the chemicals are dangerous but I just couldn't help myself!

Maitri Thu 06-Jan-11 20:21:47

The chemical rubber smell from my daughter's hot water bottle and the smell of Champney's Muscle Soothing bubble bath (it has a sort of surgical spirit-type of smell). I spend hours taking huge lung-fulls of the smell of them both.

I'm also eating between two and three bags of prepared salad per day. I just can't cope without it - it has nothing to do with hunger or healthy eating. Oh, and parsley... although I read yesterday that parsley's potentially dangerous in pregnancy so I've had to limit it to a couple of small sprigs a day.

Last pregnancy it was Lidl's disinfectant - the smell, I never got as far as drinking it although it came close a couple of times.

I was the same with eating snow - huge handfulls of it.

Past experience has shown me that in ten weeks' time (d-day) I won't be able to stand even the sight of any of my pregnancy cravings.

pozzled Thu 06-Jan-11 20:25:12

I didn't have anything like this in my first pregnancy, but this time round I've been eating huge amounts of jelly sweets. Haribo Tangfastics for preference, but fruit pastilles are an adequate substitute, or failing that just about any type!

neverlookback Thu 06-Jan-11 20:41:09

this made me laugh, i have really boring cravings when im pregnant like cereal, and beans on toast but my friend had a really strange one of wanting to eat grit, or cement dust, where she worked there was a small hole in the wall and by the time she left for her maternity it was huge as she was picking away at the plaster and eating it!!!

conkertree Thu 06-Jan-11 21:22:50

Breastmilk - no never ate them, but was close a few times. Couldn't get enough of smelling them.

Pozzled - I had the jelly sweetie thing with ds1. Much more sociably acceptable than shoes, plaster or toilet wipes. Might not have helped too much with the healthy weight gain though, but I think I was never going to do too well with that one.

Love the image of you maitri rationing your parsley addiction grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: