Talk

Advanced search

Flu jab

(17 Posts)
Laura05 Thu 06-Jan-11 17:30:14

Hi all just had my gp surgery on the fone asking if I want the flu jab. I'm 10-11 weeks, haven't heard from my midwife yet and stuck in bed with the cold and a really bad cough of which I can't take anything for apart from paracetamol. Anyway rant over, what do u think about the flu jab? I'm not sure whether to have it or not and could do with some advice. Thanks xx

Julezboo Thu 06-Jan-11 17:31:45

I declined it in the first 12 weeks becauseI have had a lot of mc's (7)

However, I had it yesterday at 34 weeks and didnt even feel it, no side effects, not even a sore arm or red mark!

cocoachannel Thu 06-Jan-11 17:37:46

You'll find lots of threads in this forum on this subject. Like this one:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1102265-Anyone-had- the-flu-jab-whilst-pregnant

If you search Mumsnet Talk, you'll find lots more.

Here is the Webchat with the DoH's Director of Immunisations.

www.mumsnet.com/onlinechats/david-salisbury

Finally a terribly, terribly sad story, but it illustrates how important it is to have the jab.

www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/221500/Flu-woman -dies-after-giving-birth

Hope that helps.

Laura05 Thu 06-Jan-11 17:38:44

I was thinking of waiting until I've met with my midwife and asking her cos I knew a few people who haven't had it and been fine but I don't know x

Laura05 Thu 06-Jan-11 17:40:25

Thanks cocoachannel I'll have a look x

JBrd Thu 06-Jan-11 18:35:01

I've just seen my midwife and she said yes, absolutely, go get it, both normal and swine flu jab!

However, my surgery has run out of the jabs, and I'm now on the waiting list. At least I'll get priority because I'm pg...

CrazyChristmasLady Thu 06-Jan-11 20:53:59

I had mine today. I had the very last one, they set it aside with my name on and have completely run out.

MW at the hospital said she was getting fed up of pregnant women not having the flu jab given they are in a high risk category.

Get it done, flu isn't nice at the best of times, far more chance of complications when you are pregnant. I had a cold before xmas and it completely laid me up. It was horrendous and my asthma (that never ever bothers me) really played up. Dread to think if it had been the flu.

CrazyChristmasLady Thu 06-Jan-11 20:54:30

JBrd it is 1 jab, they have combined them now. smile

debka Thu 06-Jan-11 20:56:24

do it do it do it.

lizandlulu Thu 06-Jan-11 21:08:38

i had it done tuesday. feel fine and no side effects at all.

like crazychristmaslady said, flu is horrible at the best of times, imagine how horrible you would feel if you got it when pg. and you have got a long way to go yet

Altheia Thu 06-Jan-11 21:27:05

I was in two minds about it. I had heard that it can give you the flu because it contains some of the virus but I've since found out that that is rubbish and anyone with heavy colds or minor symptoms afterwards is just a coincidence. I am 12 weeks pregnant and I was seriously thinking of getting it done when, on 21 December, I contracted flu. Didn't get to the GP within the first day or so and was then told it was too late to take it. I have been in bed with it since as I also got pneumonia. Today was the first day I was up and about properly.

I'm off to get that jab for sure! I just want to make sure peanut is ok now - it's been a real worry all this time.

If you decide to have it, do it quick! Like some posters have said and it's been on the news, surgeries are fast running out of supplies.

happycamel Thu 06-Jan-11 21:39:53

I had it just before Christmas. Slightly sore arm for about 3 days. I always have it because of my asthma. It's one jab there's three strains in it - Perth, Bribane and Swine flu.

The virus is dead, it can't give you proper flu. It does cross the placenta so your baby will have some immunity against the flu strains as well, which I thought was important because newborns come in to contact with loads of people and hospitals are great places to catch things.

Fever is a known risk to an unborn baby. There is no known risk from the vaccination. (Although I wouldn't have had last year's single swine flu vaccine because I didn't think there was time to test it properly).

nannyl Thu 06-Jan-11 21:54:46

im just pleased i had mine 2 months BEFORE getting pregnant.

am pleased to have had the jab, but to not have had it while baby is developing in me, although at the moment there is no evidence to suggest it isnt safe at any stage of pregnancy!

littlemissw Fri 07-Jan-11 10:37:50

I had mine last week at 7 weeks pg with no side effects other than a sore arm for a few days after. I found the webchat on here with the Director of Immunisations very useful too.

oh4goodnesssake Fri 07-Jan-11 11:29:28

The majority of people on here seem to be in favour although most people that I have spoken to are not. I am obviously worried about catching flu but am much more worried about the potential long term risk to my unborn baby of taking this vaccine. It's a very personal choice and also a difficult one. I hope whatever we decide to do, that all of us and our babies stay safe and well.

LensPens Fri 07-Jan-11 12:09:45

The authorities wouldn't advise pg women to have it if it were unsafe...

sleb1 Fri 07-Jan-11 16:11:02

I was pg last year and had the vac at 7 weeks pg. I lost the baby a week later. Have heard loads of similar stories.I'm now 24 weeks pg. So many people have told me not to have the jab, putting miscarriage fears to one side I am not convinced there is no harm to the baby. I have also been laid up with awful cold/ chest infection this Xmas. The pharmacist won't even let me have Vicks because of possible harm to the baby. If Vicks can harm God only knows what a vac can do! That's not to say I'm not worried when I hear stories on the news particularly as I work in a school where outbreaks are rife! No easy answer - I just know how devastated I felt last year when I felt I had done something which had ultimately harmed my baby.It was the worst feeling in the world

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now