Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

finding it hard to eat

(16 Posts)
LexieH Thu 06-Jan-11 13:17:00

hello, very nervous even being on here as i am only 11 weeks pregnant. I have had morning sickness the whole time, well just nausea and have completely gone off my food, the only thing i can tolerate is water. And i am drinking about 3 litres a day.

I haven't actually been sick at all except once in the first month the weekend i found out and then suddenly today. It took me completely by surprise whilst cleaning my teeth i threw up my breakfast, violently. I think it;s very werid to suddenly be sick when i haven't been sick before. So wondered if this has happened to anyone else

I also wondered if anyone had any tips for food. I usually LOVE my food and i enjoy eating a very healthy diet but i can't go into a supermarket and find it very hard to make myself a meal. I will occasionaly suddenly fancy something and then can eat that but the problem is i just don't fancy anything so on;t eat and then feel sick because i need to eat but the moment i try and think about WHAT i could eat it puts me off. I thought it might help having things that i have fancied before but once i have eaten them a few times i then go off them.

It's so frustrating. I literally need someone else to make the decision for me.

Anyway any help advice or tips so gratefully received. I am supposed to be working today but instead i am just sitting on the sofa. Having thrown up my breakfast this morning i have only just managed to eat an entire avocado, LOL, but really need to eat something else.

thanks x

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 06-Jan-11 13:25:31

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 06-Jan-11 13:25:49

Message withdrawn

Bubandbump Thu 06-Jan-11 13:28:10

Oh this could be me! I had really bad nausea from literally day 1 but only started throwing up at 13 weeks..it is still carrying on but I won't depress you and say how many weeks I am now as most people seem to be better by 17 weeks.

Firstly you have to eat - not eating makes it much worse and more liable to throwing up. For me little and often seems to work most of the time although like you said nothing appeals - I just eat things that are small as if I eat too much or too fast it doesn't stay down. My list is (sorry not very healthy) pork pies, hula hoops, ice lollies, lemonade, potatoes potatoes and more potatoes, veggie soup but in small portions, snack a jacks and bananas but tbh everything has come back at some point.

I make myself eat something every hour- don't think about it, just get something. I used to LOVE my food and have had to adapt to a completely different relationship with it where I eat to sustain myself and the baby and not for pleasure. However I can see the amazing meal I am going to have the day I get home with this little baby and I am going to savour every mouthful!

LexieH Thu 06-Jan-11 13:57:31

bubandbump - thanks so much your last sentence bought tears to my eyes x i am SO emotional LOL. that's interesting that you weren't sick at first.... oh dear i really hope it doesn't start happening to me. Throwing up is so boring!!

I am able to eat big meals, in fact i am ALWAYS hungry, even after a huge pasta dinner i will finish and be hungry again, weird.

It's that what to eat because one minute i will be eating baby bells to feel better and the next the thoughts of them makes me feel sick. aahhhhh

do you think i should just ignore it if it makes me feel sick and just keep eating?

anyway it's all fine and selfishly has really helped hearing that someone else has had the same problem too. Although i am very sorry for you, you poor thing, i really hope you are not weeks and weeks in and still being sick, that must be just horrid.

anyway thanks loads for your tips xxx

PixieonaLeaf - thanks for advice and the link will check it out, i think i'm due in Aug but still haven;t had first scan yet. It;s our first and we are excited but TERRIFIED. Just reading your message again has made me want to eat a whole cucumeber...Ha ha.... this pregnancy thing is so weird.....sadly i don't have any in the house.

That's the other thing i can fancy something to eat one minute but if i don't eat it straightaway then a few mintues later the thought of it makes me feel sick!!!!!

speffles Thu 06-Jan-11 14:01:09

Me too. I have to make myself eat because I know I'll feel worse if I don't. I never really seem to fancy much but crisps, cheddar sandwiches, super noodles and apple juice. I had a thing for ice lollies at one point but can't face the thought of them now.

I just keep telling myself that morning sickness isn't supposed to last forever.

LexieH Thu 06-Jan-11 14:14:37

mmmmm ice lolly

Bumpsadaisie Thu 06-Jan-11 14:45:16

I lived off pear drops in teh first trimester, together with small bowls of plain spaghetti. DD was strapping and fine when she eventually emerged!

Just eat what you feel like. Baby will get everything it needs from you xx

Yukana Thu 06-Jan-11 15:20:06

I know how you feel. I've had heavy nausea from about 3-4 weeks, but only started throwing up a short while ago at 8 weeks. I have the same problem, when I try to think about food I feel sick, and trying to make myself anything is a no-no due to heavy nausea. I feel bad but my partner and mother help me by making me things occasionally.

What helps me is baths. Lots and lots of baths and showers. Not too hot, mind you. I drink squash and flavored water. Food wise, at the moment yoghurts and crisps are okay for me. Fruit is good too, I especially recommend things like juicy pears, strawberries etc. Keeping windows open so even if I can't go out - I still have lots of fresh air - helps too. If I feel really hungry but just can't eat or don't want to risk it, I just take my daily folic acid and multivitamin, and drink fluids. Sometimes I'll drink some of my partner's coke and such, but it's not too good for me so I try to avoid it unless I have to.

Hope this helps, and congratulations!

Oneof4 Thu 06-Jan-11 15:34:46

It does get better! I agree with Budandbump that eating something (anything) small on a fairly constant basis can be really helpful. I really sympathise - I love my food too and being pregnant has taken all that away, temporarily. Still, the end is in sight for me and you cannot imagine the glorious meals I intend to consume when this is all over!

Best of luck, and remember that it will get better.

midori1999 Thu 06-Jan-11 17:08:24

"That's the other thing i can fancy something to eat one minute but if i don't eat it straightaway then a few mintues later the thought of it makes me feel sick!!!!!"

This is me! I am 13+4 now and it is getting a tiny bit easier, but I struggle to fancy anything at all.

I do find though sometimes that if I am cooking something that I really don't fancy for the DC then I start to fancy it, or if I don't fancy something and have a small taste, then I can eat it. Not always, sometimes it makes me throw up, but I had ketones in my urine at my last antenatal and they questioned how much I had been eating and throwing up, so I do need to make sure I eat soemthing.

LexieH Thu 06-Jan-11 17:29:12

oh midori1999 sorry to say it but it is great to hear someone else is the same :/ sorry!!! it's soooooooooooooooooooooo annoying isn't it the fancing something then it going away!!!!!

Really sorry though but i don't know what 13+4 means??

yukana - you've made me want strawberries now!!! yuuuuuum yuum

If only you could imagine some food and it would appear starigh away, this whole eating thing wouldn't be a problem at all would it!! LOL

Laura05 Thu 06-Jan-11 18:26:49

So glad I'm not the only one in the world struggling! I'm not doing a very good job of keeping food down especially at the moment with morning sickness and this terrible cough I have! I've hardly eaten for days but have managed 2 keep yoghurt down. Thats about it and I'm not even a fan of yoghurt! Keep my fingers crossed its gona get better soon!

LexieH Thu 06-Jan-11 18:34:36

Oh Laura05 you poor thing.... i have felt so lucky that i haven"t been thrown up this whole time and have been thinking how lucky i am so today was a total shock. i can't imagine how bad it must be if it;s all the time. really hope you feel better soon, well i mean the symptoms pass you know.... xxx

Yukana Thu 06-Jan-11 18:44:21

Oh gosh, sounds like a rough ride Laura. I guess it's a rough ride at the moment for all of us experiencing this, actually.

Does anyone else get the problem where the nausea doesn't lessen until you find some comfy spot to lie down in? I find I'm spending most of the day trying to find the position I feel the least nauseous in. Funnily enough, I can barely sleep in my own bed but I am out like a light in my mother's.

I've had 4 baths today which has really, really helped. Now I've developed a craving for Muller Light yoghurts, too...

fairybubbles Thu 06-Jan-11 19:06:09

You sound like i did a few months ago! I was sick however at least once every day up to 18 weeks. My advice would be to eat what you feel like when. Don't do much cooking, I found the smells would trigger the nausea. I was eventually diagnosed with hypermesis but declined the offer of medication.

I had a nice-ish stage in the middle of the pregnancy but I'm now being sick again at 30 weeks and have the most horrendous heartburn which is affecting my appetite.

Rest when you need to, tiredness can make the nausea worse.

Good luck & remember it's worth it all xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: