Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

BFP dreading sickness

(12 Posts)
laylasmummy09 Wed 05-Jan-11 14:59:40

hi everyone i just wanted to share my good news, i got my bfp yesterday grin im 4+5 but really scared as i suffered with hyperemesis in pregnancies and unfortunately a miscarriage, so im trying to be very healthy and avoid medicine at all costs so basically i am asking all u mums for real advice about what works for you i really dont want the sickness to ruin this pregnancy please help, ps noo ginger remedies it makes me worse, TIA smilexxx

caramellokoalalover Wed 05-Jan-11 15:48:19

Have you tried acupuncture? I had HG my first pregnancy and am 25wks pregnant with DC2. This time round I started meds early (I know you said you don't want to take anything though) and acupuncture weekly from 5wks. I haven't been anywhere near as ill this time. Best of luck!

onepieceoflollipop Wed 05-Jan-11 15:52:37

laylasmummy, first of all congratulations.

I will share my experience with you as it may help a tiny bit.

I have had 3 pregnancies. mc 1st time. 2nd time (dd1) awful awful hyperemesis, hospitalised for a week (twice) unable to work for 2 months and I really suffered.

When dd1 was almost 3 we decided to "risk it" again, got pregnant with dd2.

It was a different experience this time round. I did have really terrible all day sickness, but I was able to "manage" it by eating very regularly every 1-2 hours. I also slept a lot, even if I didn't feel tired. I would rest when I wasn't at work.

(this didn't work with the hyperemesis btw, I think that if you get hyperemesis then it is almost impossible to "manage" it, well that was my experience anyway)

Best wishes to you.

Rockbird Wed 05-Jan-11 15:53:09

You might not get any. I was as sick as a dog from 6 weeks with DD. Am now 9 weeks and not a sniff of sickness. I get travel sick on the Isle of Wight ferry so I was expecting the worst.

Agree about the ginger though. Three years on I can't face a tossing ginger snap angry and it was useless.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 05-Jan-11 15:54:13

p.s. my top tip would be if anyone tries to give you ginger biscuits, ginger pop etc just put them straight in the wheelie bin. wink

sweets helped me (not ginger ones!). Very bad as high in sugar but they did take the edge off with dd2.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 05-Jan-11 15:55:05

Rockbird just saw your post too. Congratulations to you as well, and wishing you a sick-free pregnancy.

speffles Wed 05-Jan-11 15:56:02

Hi,

I don't have many remedies I'm afraid. Most of the ones people have told me haven't worked. The only thing that has helped is having some plain carbs around for those moments when you can feel the nausea starting.

Dropdeadfred Wed 05-Jan-11 16:03:43

Lemon ice lollies did the trick for me as far as keeping fluids down after being hospitalised for hyperemesis

lou11376 Wed 05-Jan-11 16:20:54

Congratulations! I am now 28 weeks and I am still sick in the morning- guess I'm one of the lucky ones! I was constantly sick until week 16 and the only way I could handle it was to eat little and often. The hungrier I was, the more queasy I felt so the sicker I was (if that makes sense!). I spent so long fighting sickness as well! Now I get up, only drink clear fluid (water, fruit tea) and then I give in to it! I am sick once, have a piece of toast and I'm set for the day! Hope you have a vom free time though!

laylasmummy09 Wed 05-Jan-11 22:17:23

thankyou all smile , i'll be keeping all these tips in mind, and congratulations rockbird grin,ive found lots of articles that say vitamin b6 can help so ill be using that and deffinitely the ice lollies even if it is freezing at least its better than plain old ice cubes, and lou11376 hope you stop being sick soon, good luck all x

nicolamumof3 Thu 06-Jan-11 05:05:35

not many tips here im afraid. I am 12+5 with DC4. Has been my worst pg sickness wise to date. My husband wheeled me into docs when i could no longer stand up i was very dehydrated as couldn't keep water down. Worst was between 5-7 weeks i was medicated for it, but quickly found i could reduce dose once i got past the 7week mark. With other DC to look after there was no other choice as i couldn't even sit up most days. Luckily now I am able to eat again and enjoying lots of food again unheard of a few weeks ago so can manage my sickness by eating often. But when you can't keep a thing down even water there is very little to do sad

Hoping you don't suffer so bad this time, every pg is very different good luck!

laylasmummy09 Thu 06-Jan-11 15:33:05

oh nooo so much for the no meds policy, now i have a chest infection hmm wish me luck xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: