Talk

Advanced search

someone please tell me i can do it!!

(10 Posts)
juliec26 Tue 04-Jan-11 18:06:59

Went for my 38 week growth scan today and yet again all measurements above 95th centile with estimated weight today of 9lb 30z was told I need to see a consultant asap best they can offer is next monday due to over booking from xmas backlog - also babies left kidney looked dialited so will need a scan and perhaps antibiotics - apparently really common and nothing to worry about although still worried - This is my 2nd dc 1st 7.8 at 39 weeks and was really hoping for natrual birth last time epidrual and ventose leaving me bad tear which got infected twice - I have been seeing a hypnobirther and reflexologist and was positive, excited...now I feel sick and am dreading the whole thing just keep crying - anyone have postive big baby stories to share to try and restore some excitementplease posting in pregnancy and chilbirth

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 18:09:32

just do a search on here for growth scans and you will find some incredible stories! of how wrong they are lol
seriously, there is something like a 20% margin of error either side...

a friwend of mine was told that her baby was over 10lb and she HAD to be induced at 38 weeks.,

she refused and had him naturally at 40+2. he was 8lb 8 or something like that.

i really wouldn't worry. there is no reason to think you can't birth a big baby

lia66 Tue 04-Jan-11 18:12:49

hi there,

My last baby was 9lb 5 when she was born at 37 wks. My biggest was 10lb anbd was my easiest birth by far.

I wouldn't worry too much about scan size, these are not desperately accurate measurements and can be out either way.

It's unusual for you to grow a baby that is too big for you to birth, it's not impossible obviously as pelvis sizes do vary but in general the body tends to know what it's doing. I'm assuming gd has been ruled out.

Re epi and ventouse first time round, doesn't mean baby wa too big and doesn't mean it will happen this time either, it's very common for first babies to need some help being born for a variety of reasons, sometimes the epi can leave you in a bad position, therefore making baby's birth more difficult therefore needing more intervention.

Go into your hypn studies and do some exercises, speak to your reflexologist about helping baby into a good position for birth.

I know it's hard cos it's unknown but try and keep a positive frame of mind and you'll be fine.

Good luck

MandaHugNKiss Tue 04-Jan-11 18:16:20

My last baby was 9lb 12oz, born in the blink of an eye without so much as a graze for me, let alone tearing...

Ok, so he was my third, but my first was 7lb 13oz and my second 8lb 1oz so they weren't tiddlers but he was quite a bit bigger.

I didn't tear with any of mine (and I've got pretty good pelvic floor - I don't think it's a case of I have a huuuuuuuge fanjo! blush) because I really listened to my midwife/ves when it came to delivery. Once you're told to pant - PANT! When you're told tiny little pushes - DITTO! And... you definitely CAN do it.

Remember the baby is an active participant in the birth and bigger babies get less tired than smaller ones, so you may find it'sactually easier to give birth to your 'bruiser' than the 'average' abby wink

Of course, second births are generally easier than the first so don't think you're doomed to repeat what happened before with a similar outcome.

sophielouise Tue 04-Jan-11 18:24:33

Hi there, I'm not a mum yet (but nearly!) and have similar concerns to yours. I would recommend that you watch the 'One born at Christmas' programmes on 4od if you can. Very inspiring births of big babies and particularly quick deliveries! Of course I realise it's edited for TV but it still inspired me :-)

loujay Tue 04-Jan-11 18:27:58

Hi,
My first was 7lb 6oz and my second was 9lb 13oz...............it is perfectly possible!!!

amberleaf Tue 04-Jan-11 18:33:35

My biggest baby [9lb+] was def the easiest birth-no tears/stitches.

Also the growth scans can be v v wrong IME!

one said my baby was going to be 5lb-he was 7lb 7oz.

Dont you can do it smile

amberleaf Tue 04-Jan-11 18:34:03

dont worry

juliec26 Tue 04-Jan-11 20:21:05

Thank u all for positive replies have been in a state all day ... Will listen to my hypnobirthing cd and speak to my reflexologist.. Just want the feeling of excitment back you have all cheered me up and will now have a not so sleepless night x

msbossy Tue 04-Jan-11 20:43:09

I've been reading Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth and she tells lots of positive stories of natural birth with big babies. Remain positive and remember that hands and knees is the position in which your pelvis is at its largest :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now