Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

does brown blood mean miscarriage? please help!

(17 Posts)
johnnyd1 Tue 04-Jan-11 09:11:35

my wife is in hospital having been diagnosed with hyperemesis last week and in the last few days has started showing blood in her pee. this morning it was a brown colour. she has no cramping, pains, etc. she isnt feeling great (has also got a cold). up to last night the nurses and the consultant had said her bloods were fine, no temp, blood pressure fine. she has been having ketones fluctuating and has been sick, etc.
We have a scan this afternoon at 3:10pm. our woest fear now is that because of the brown blood it is a miscarriage. is there anyone that can change our way of thinking please?

justabit Tue 04-Jan-11 09:14:55

Dear Johnnyd1. Nothing to offer but sending you and your wife my very best wishes and bumping for you.

belgo Tue 04-Jan-11 09:15:40

Sorry to hear your wife and you are going through this. The ketones are in her urine because her body is not getting all the energy she needs because of the hyperemesis.

Brown blood is usually old blood - it could be an old implantation bleed for example. It does not necessary mean miscarriage but of course in some cases it is a sign of miscarriage.

It's good you don't have to wait too long for the scan. How many weeks pregnant is she?

clareanna Tue 04-Jan-11 09:16:43

Hi Johnnyd sorry you and your wife are having such a tough time. How many weeks pg is she?
I'm not a medical expert but can only talk from my own experiences, brown blood can be from an old implantation bleed or from the cervix, and is often nothing to worry about. It would not be in her pee though - it would come from her vagina. Blood in urine could indicate a bladder or kidney infection I think.
I hope all goes well for you both

johnnyd1 Tue 04-Jan-11 09:18:43

hi thankyou for this x she is 10 weeks today

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 09:19:43

how many weeks is she?

brown blood is very common in the early weeks. brown is usually good because it's a sign that it's "old" blood- normally frm the implantation bleed

i've had bleeding with all 3 of my pregnancies, and went on to have 3 healthy babies

that said, I am sure there are cases where brown blood turns into fresh blood and the outlook isn't good. I don't say this to scare you, but it is a possibility.

your wife is in the riht place though, and I hope your scan goes well this afternoon- do update us if you can!

johnnyd1 Tue 04-Jan-11 09:22:05

thanks 'thisis...' x

MandaHugNKiss Tue 04-Jan-11 09:24:52

Well, the thing to stablish is where exactly the blood is coming from: if it's IN her pee, then it's probably an infection (of her bladder/kidneys) - I had them a couple of time in my last pregnancy quite bably and never had a temperature, and my bloods were 'off' but not really typical when it comes to infection. However, I responded quicly and well to antibiotics so it was indeed an infection (I also had ++ketones although it's more likely her hypermesis causing your wifes)

If it's coming from her cervix, then given she has hypermesis I would say it's likely (hey, Im not a doctor, but on my fourth pregnancy with experience of bleedin with two of them!) from the fact her cervix will be sensitive due to all the extra bloodflow to the area and, for som women, even having a bowel movement or continued retching (hello, hypermesis) can cause a small amount of superficial bleeding.

It's obviously a small amount as it's brown.

Ok, so she/you need to bring this up with the team looking after her, so that they can investigate, but in all probability it's either her cervix or easily treated. I know it's easy to worry but it's really unlikely to be anything as sinister as miscarriage given the hypermesis, that it's brown blood and the absence of any cramping (you didn't mention it,so I assume she's not cramping?)

But, again, bring it up with the team. Don't wait for rounds to speak to a doctor, tell one of the nurses/midwives. And then chase them up! (because, sadly, as I'm sure you've seen, they're often rushed off their feet sad)

Besom Tue 04-Jan-11 09:26:44

I had lots of bleeding with my dd, and especially in the first trimester. It's quite common I believe. And yes, small amounts of brown blood are less of a worry than red.

Unfortunately, it's one of those things that could go either way and the only answer will be provided by the scan.

I hope everything goes well for you and your wife and the pregnancy. It's such an anxious time.

wolfhound Tue 04-Jan-11 09:29:12

Hi Johnnyd1 - good luck to you and your wife. I had brown blood in both my pregnancies (spotting from 6-8 weeks and again at 7 months with the first one, then at around 6 months with the second one.) Both pregnancies produced lovely healthy boys & normal deliveries. When I googled bleeding in pregnancy the first time, I seemed to find stats that said first trimester bleeding results in miscarriage 50% of time and 50% of time doesn't. Don't know if those are true stats, but they reassured me a bit in thinking there was a good chance of it being okay. I think it is red blood that is really worrying, as brown blood is 'old blood'. The scan will hopefully show everything is fine. Let us know how it goes. And try and help your wife to get some rest over the next few days. May be just a coincidence, but my bleeding always seemed to coincide with me overdoing things a bit.

johnnyd1 Tue 04-Jan-11 09:36:06

thankyou all and yes its a very anxious time. waiting til ten past 3 is going to be the longest wait ever!

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 17:46:26

hi johnnyd1, came back to see if you've updated!

hope the scan went ok and baby is ok.

johnnyd1 Tue 04-Jan-11 23:04:13

baby was fine and rocking! luce still not keeping anything down yet so just want my 2 two babies to be ok x

Besom Wed 05-Jan-11 07:01:50

Oh that's great news smile.

Fingers crossed that the sickness will start to improve soon as well.

wolfhound Wed 05-Jan-11 09:38:15

That's great. Hope your DP feels better soon. x

justabit Wed 05-Jan-11 11:06:00

very very happy for you.

thisisyesterday Wed 05-Jan-11 13:35:29

glad all was ok and hope your wife starts feeling better soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: