Talk

Advanced search

Wisdom teeth pain - bonjela safe to use?

(18 Posts)
CaringForPod Tue 04-Jan-11 08:32:52

Hello,

Does anyone know if bonjela is safe to use while pregnant, I just find loads of conflicting advice when googling. Just wondered if anyone had spoken to their midwife/GP about it.

Also, any other tips for soothing wisdom teeth pain? I've been grinning and bearing it until now (23+4) but really need something to take the edge of the pain. Before I was pregnant, the only thing that worked was Nurofen Plus. Obviously don't want to take that now...

Thanks in advance

jimmijam Tue 04-Jan-11 10:18:57

i cant help for sure im afraid, but as the one i use is teh babies teething gel, i have still been using it. im sure if u ask a pharmasist they'll know

NeedToSleepZZZ Tue 04-Jan-11 10:22:45

I asked a pharmacist about this a couple of months ago when I had bad mouth ulcers and she said they don't recommend it during pregnancy. I really didn't think there'd be a problem with it and was surprised.
Sorry sad Hope you find something else!

nurseblade Tue 04-Jan-11 10:25:31

Is the wisdom tooth impacted? Warm salt water rinses would be best if so.

CaringForPod Tue 04-Jan-11 11:03:07

Thanks, wasn't sure about the bonjela so good to have some feedback.

Nurseblade, forgive my ignorance, but what does impacted mean? It's basically the soreness of the gums where my wisdom tooth is making a bid for freedom that's causing the pain.

I'd read about salt water rinses, just was hoping there was a more palatable solution!

nurseblade Tue 04-Jan-11 12:30:58

Sorry for using jargon, I'm a dentist. You really need to get yourself to a dentist. It sounds impacted, it is unlikely to come through fully now and the flap of gum covering it is harbouring food/bacteria which is why you have discomfort. warm salt water rinses are best until you can see a dentist.

CaringForPod Tue 04-Jan-11 16:53:34

Thanks for the clarification. My dentist is aware of it - the teeth, yep both sides of the mouth, periodically make bids for freedom every couple of months or so. Dentist didn't seem concerned, just told me it was normal with wisdom teeth. Anyway, warm salt water for me then!

bowlingball Tue 04-Jan-11 20:40:10

I had ulcers and wisdom tooth pain early on and used Boots own brand sore mouth gel, it says on the packet it's fine to use in pregnancy. I get same pain everynow and then anyway and have always used bonjela before but found this to be much better anyway - and much cheaper!

Applemuncher Tue 04-Jan-11 20:54:10

I have a pack of Bonjella here that I nearly used a few weeks ago until I saw the warning on the side, it says:

Do not give to children and adolescents under 16 years of age. This is because there is a possible association between salicylates and Reye's syndrome when given to children. Reye's syndrome is a very rare disease which affects the brain and liver and can be fatal.

After reading this I didn't think it was worth the chance - How about trying some teething gel, would that help?

Milkybrew Tue 04-Jan-11 21:04:59

Hi caringforpod, I've had no end of dental problems in my pregnancy, both with wisdom teeth and having a tooth extracted. The hot salt water, as hot and as salty as you can manage, is definitely the way to go, I have been amazed at how well it works! Hope the wisdom teeth calm down, it's no fun!

Milkybrew Tue 04-Jan-11 21:06:41

Hi caringforpod, I've had no end of dental problems in my pregnancy, both with wisdom teeth and having a tooth extracted. The hot salt water, as hot and as salty as you can manage, is definitely the way to go, I have been amazed at how well it works! Hope the wisdom teeth calm down, it's no fun!

Gabity Tue 04-Jan-11 21:16:22

Can I come and share your pain? My wisdom tooth is doing something (impacted?), and its fecking sore. I am so terrified of the dentist.

It feels just like you say nurse that there is something under the gum, it feels all hot and swollen and sore!

What happens if left untreated? Will it eventually come through or sort itself out?

nurseblade Tue 04-Jan-11 21:44:07

If it's impacted there isn't space for it to come through or it's not at the correct angle to do so. So no, it won't right itself. If problems occur often (3+ times a year) extraction is best, otherwise you will continue to get problems indefinitely.

Gabity Tue 04-Jan-11 21:51:31

thanks nurseblade. Will have to brave it then. sad

CaringForPod Wed 05-Jan-11 09:05:25

Thanks all, I think I'm going to make a dentist appointment too. I've had this pain for a few years now, on and off, surely the tooth should have come through by now. Having a bit of a shitty week - lost my main job yesterday and tooth stopping me from sleeping

Milkybrew Wed 05-Jan-11 16:59:07

Caringforpod, so sorry to hear you are having a shitty week and have lost your job.
It can't hurt having the dentist take a look, especially as it's free whilst pregnant! It's not nice that you can't sleep, us pregnant ladies need our rest! I can 100% sympathise with you, the pain is awful-I've had it on and off since I had my DS 7 years ago. My teeth have plagued both that pregnancy and this one. Really hope you can get it under control and feel some relief soon! Good luck with the dentist!

CaringForPod Wed 05-Jan-11 20:37:41

Thanks Milkybrew On the plus side, saw the midwife today and she seemed to think all is well with the little one, so that's one good thing!

Milkybrew Wed 05-Jan-11 21:11:16

Ah that's great! It seems ages til I next see midwife! I had a gender scan today and saw a very active baby which it turned out is a girl! Amazed! And pleased especially after all my teeth probs. Hope you get your teeth sorted soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now