Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Keeping things <cough> moving while up the duff - please share your tips

(22 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Mon 03-Jan-11 20:14:31

blush Just wondering how everyone is dealing with this common pregnancy problem - didn't suffer with DD (until after she was born anyway confused) so it's all come as a bit of a shock.

Prunes work a treat but I have to eat a lot of them and I'm soooo bored of them. Just found some dried apple rings in the cupboard so am snacking on those and might treat myself to some apricots tomorrow.

Was given lactulose after DD was born but didn't find it much cop - though didn't take it very often. Think I might ask for it again and just take several good swigs a day. Has anyone found it any good?

Any other top tips? And I'm so sorry for the overshare blush

Natzer Mon 03-Jan-11 20:25:41

I eat about 6 or 7 satsumas each day and I think that has managed to keep me regular (am 25 weeks)

good luck

Casseopeia Mon 03-Jan-11 20:29:11

Kiwifruit!

EsioTrot Mon 03-Jan-11 20:31:24

I'll second the kiwi fruit. 1 or 2 each morning did the trick for me in both pregnancies.

Milkybrew Mon 03-Jan-11 20:33:36

Oat bran flakes-they have been a godsend!

patienceplease Mon 03-Jan-11 20:35:15

Kiwi kiwi kiwi! Especially if you eat the skin- but you don't have to. I have had this ( am 37 weeks) and hate prunes. Someone advised kiwi and it's magical- 1 kiwi in evening- next morning- hey presto!!

patienceplease Mon 03-Jan-11 20:36:34

Ok was very slow to refresh- I see everyone got there before me!

starfishmummy Mon 03-Jan-11 20:39:54

Lactulose! But it is a.gentle laxative.and you may need a few.doses.

violetwellies Mon 03-Jan-11 20:41:51

I have gone off tea and coffee and have been drinking lots of juice, plus fruit is all I can bear to eat when Im feeling sick so have sadly gone from one extreme to the other

DitaVonCheese Mon 03-Jan-11 20:57:55

Ha grin - have never heard kiwi fruit suggested before but will give it a go. They all seem to be really sour this time of year though.

Satsumas were more or less all that kept me going through the nausea of the early weeks and I didn't notice any marked improvement then, but they are yummy so will get some more.

Sorry to hear your woes violet - it was quite the reverse for me last time round as well blush

I knew I'd be amongst friends here wink

BreastmilkDoesAFabEggnogLatte Mon 03-Jan-11 21:27:19

Try a small yet strong cup of coffee first thing in the morning!

I know caffeine is supposed to be dodgy during pregnancy, but it doesn't seem to even touch the side with me...

YellowCecil Mon 03-Jan-11 21:55:17

Musli and Orange Juice for breakfast, drink lots of water and get some exercise. Exercise is key as muscles in abdomen help to "massage" your guts and keep things moving along!

Alouiseg Mon 03-Jan-11 22:01:03

Psyllium husk capsules.

DitaVonCheese Mon 03-Jan-11 22:03:14

I am drinking a lot (squash mainly) but am far too lazy to exercise grin Hoping to start aquanatal soon but can't until I hit 16 weeks.

I can't drink coffee at the best of times, though DH did suggest a coffee colonic irrigation this morning (any other Green Wing fans out there?)

DitaVonCheese Mon 03-Jan-11 22:04:23

X-posts. Might just head to the chemist. Sure there used to be something called something like Sennokot in our bathroom cabinet but it seems to have disappeared confused

PinkElephant73 Mon 03-Jan-11 22:11:09

you need to take lactulose regularly for 2-3 days before it takes effect but it does work. I have been taking 15ml twice a day.

YellowCecil Mon 03-Jan-11 22:13:51

Can you get out for a walk? Just to shops/park etc will help.

clivesummer Mon 03-Jan-11 22:16:57

I feel like I've become an expert on this topic the last few weeks!
I use flaxseeds (sometimes called Linseeds) and mix a tablespoon with water in a mug, cover and leave over night. Drink the water the next day. If you can't face this, sprinkle Flaxseeds on your cereal. Speaking of cereals Dorset cereal's 'super high fibre' and Branflakes are great.
Second what everyone else said about Kiwis, and get as much water as you can. Also Orange juice with bits in is supposed to help.
Lactulose didn't help me at first, just gave me terrible wind! (blush) But now have a big swig morning and night.

DitaVonCheese Mon 03-Jan-11 22:22:37

Awesome - I'm going to do some stocking up tomorrow and then come back in a week begging for suggestions to reverse the process blush

Cecil I do spend a bit of time running after DD and we're out doing stuff all day so I'm not deskbound (well, only two days a week) but not really motivated to get outdoors at the moment blush

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 03-Jan-11 23:46:21

Loads and loads of water, and satsumas. Hopefully it won't last long!

Congratulations btw grin I was stalking you for a while on the BFing/ttc thread but then it ran out of room. So delighted for you

DitaVonCheese Mon 03-Jan-11 23:56:06

Thank you grin (there is a new thread btw). I feel like I should be a bit more freaked out but I rather like the idea of having a stalker grin blush

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 04-Jan-11 09:41:13

grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: