Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone else nervous about there 20 weeks scan!

(12 Posts)
sum04 Mon 03-Jan-11 15:31:55

Im starting to worry about my 20 weeks scan next week, to the point where im finding it hard to sleep.
My 12 week scan went well, but i've really worked myself up about the next scan.
Is anyone else feeling the same?

Clueless79 Mon 03-Jan-11 15:54:06

Yep, mine's tomorrow and like you the 12 week scan went perfectly well but I can't help feeling apprehensive. Mainly because I'm not feeling much at a in the way of movements. I think that what we're feeling is perfectly normal though so fingers crossed for you too.

Clueless79 Mon 03-Jan-11 15:54:43

Meant to say much at all!

Sparklies Mon 03-Jan-11 16:09:41

It's normal! I always get super worried and this is my third. I actually had mine brought forward by a week this time out which helped a lot. It was because I heard a seriously irregular heartbeat on my home doppler and feared the worst but apparently a) it's totally normal (who knew?) and fixed itself after a few days and b) everything looked perfect, even the heart. So even thinking you might have bad news doesn't mean you will

Hope the next week passes quickly for you - the anticipation is horrible. And of course that everything looks great for both of you!

midori1999 Mon 03-Jan-11 16:23:31

I'm terrified about every single scan I have. The first thing I look for every time is movement or the heartbeat. I am also really worried they will find a serious problem at my anomoly scan. (serious to me being Edwards, Encephalitis or similar)

Slightly aside, (and TMI!) but I also get terrified every time I feel a bit wet 'down there' as my waters went at 14 weeks in a pregnancy earlier this year. I also have to check for blood or nasty looking/smelling discharge every single time I go to the loo.

I feel like this because of past experiences, but I just have to keep telling myself that I am being silly, plus worrying will not change any outcomes. I do think some worry is normal even if ladies haven't had previous pregnancy problems.

kiwijesta Mon 03-Jan-11 18:31:50

I felt this way too at all my scans (11, 22, 34,36,and 37 weeks)having a breech baby and ELSC tomorrow hence all the scans BTW, so one more scan then too!

Remember it is a really nice chance to see your baby, even if they don't play ball and 'pose' for their photo! Also makes it a bit more real, IYKWIM!

Good Luck!

argylesocks Mon 03-Jan-11 18:39:58

um, yes, terrified. Mine's on Friday and I wasn't worried until last week. Now I am slightly freaking out.

Before the 12 week scan, I had convinced myself it wasn't in there anymore and everything was perfect so hopefully it will be the same happy result but damn the wait is worrying!

When's yours?

cameli Mon 03-Jan-11 19:40:01

Me too. Mines on 12th January and im already shitting myself. Had loads of scans already (7!) but still nervous as i haven't felt any movement yet.

I'm sure we'll all be fine though

violetwellies Mon 03-Jan-11 19:54:54

Worried, emotional (hormonal) and the thing is I cant even tell myself Im being irrational as Ive been told Ive got a 1 in 37 chance of Downs and we have chosen not to have the invasive tests as even a very small chance of MC was too much.
So yes crapping it

sum04 Mon 03-Jan-11 19:55:48

Mines on the 12th as well.
This is my third pregnancy, but im still nervous as ever

Sparklies Mon 03-Jan-11 20:34:53

violetwellies - same with me, our odds are 1 in 34 and I declined the invasive testing too. Thankfully my ultrasound was clear but they will only lower to 1 in 70. Still, it was reassuring!

I did actually get bad news at this scan with my second.. incompetent cervix, and I needed a rescue cerclage and thankfully DC2 was fine in the end after a long adventure. But I felt just as nervous before my scan with DC1 as I did DC3.

I do envy those who just see it as a chance to find out the gender!

CalaLilly Tue 04-Jan-11 10:22:00

I was absolutely terrified as I'm a NICU nurse and have looked after lots of babies whose Mum's got bad news at their 20 week scan. However, I kept reassuring myself that, even though I see sick babies day in day out, that is NOT the norm and that most scans go smoothly. I went in there with a string of questions (how many chambers of the heart? are the ventricles of the brain shaped well? Has the spine formed properly? Are the limbs the correct length? Can you see all the major organs and are they in the right places? Do I have the correct amount of amniotic fluid? Is baby growing ok? Where is my placenta sitting? Etc) so basically I was a nightmare patient! Thankfully, all went well and I came out with a beautiful picture of our baby and a lovely memory of him or her dancing on the screen!

I’ve spoken to lots of parents about their experiences of getting bad news at a scan and the ones that were worst hit were the ones who didn’t foresee any problems and just thought of the 20 week scan as “the gender scan”. I think it’s good to go into the 20 week scan knowing that, as “the anomaly scan”, bad news is a possibility but remembering that that happens rarely. To be forewarned is to be forearmed but to worry yourself unnecessarily is not helpful to anyone. Worrying is like a rocking horse- you go back and forth but you don’t get anywhere!

Enjoy it- it’s incredible seeing how much baby has grown in 8 weeks!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: