Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to just 'know' you're pregnant way before a period is due?

(42 Posts)
BooBooGlass Sun 02-Jan-11 16:26:44

Just musing really. I had lunch with my great friend today who confided in me that she think she is pregnant even though her period is almost a week away. She said she just had an overwhelming feeling, whch she hasn't had in the year and a bit they've been ttc. I really hope it's their month
I remember certainly with my second having a feeling, but I don't know why really. I have another friend who swears she felt implantation. So is it just wishful thinking or nonsense? And would it really be possible to tell so early?? I'm awaiting an excited phonecall in 2 weeks time wink

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 02-Jan-11 16:33:33

The first time I felt implantation pains, sharp pains on the right hand side. Felt like AF pains and meant I had to get up in the middle of the night to check.

Second time I craved fish - had to have tuna or pilchards for 3 days in a row, at least a week before AF was due. Had the pains too, on the left hand side this time. That one miscarried though.

GeekLove Sun 02-Jan-11 16:35:46

This time round I got pains like ovulation pains a week before the period was due. When I was 3 days over I took a test and there was the thin blue line. I am 29 weeks now.

BooBooGlass Sun 02-Jan-11 16:44:14

That's interesting thank you she didn't mention pain or anything, just a feeling of certainty. I thought she described it in such a lovely way. I truly hope she is right

YunoYurbubson Sun 02-Jan-11 16:50:37

No, you cannot just "know".

Lots of women will be quite sure that they do know though, and the ones who by chance happen to be right will have "proved" themselves right.

Mumbybumby Sun 02-Jan-11 16:52:46

I didn't have any implantation pain for DD or DC2 but I definitely knew I was pregnant before I missed my period both times.
Did an early test which confirmed.
When I saw the doctor first time round he said I couldn't possibly have known hmm even though i'd still not officially missed my period.
Only downside is the really long wait - I feel like I've been pregnant for about a year now (33 weeks)

onimolap Sun 02-Jan-11 16:53:38

I "just knew" once and was right.

But was just as convinced at least twice when I wasn't.

beckie90 Sun 02-Jan-11 16:53:56

i knew i was over a week before, i tested 4 days early too cause i was sure and got a posative

Mumbybumby Sun 02-Jan-11 16:56:29

Forgot to mention swollen boobs at 3 weeks ish and having to turn the heat down in the shower.
We also weren't actively 'trying' to conceive so it wasn't a 'hope I am so I'll do a test' either, it just felt different to pre-menstrual.

BooBooGlass Sun 02-Jan-11 16:56:56

Interesting. I'm still unsure. I htink the reason I ws so sure the second time was that I knew we'd done the deed on day 14 of a 28 day cycle wink but I also remember feeling just very 'full' very quickly, and certainly I showed much much earlier second time round, and of course I knew what it felt liek to be pregnant. This is her first so she doesn't. On second thoughts, maybe the thing that tipped me off was the exhaustion. There's nothing else like it ime.

activate Sun 02-Jan-11 16:57:05

yes it's possible, but you have a 50:50 chance of being right (well a 25:75 chance realy)

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sun 02-Jan-11 17:01:47

I 'knew' the moment we'd conceived for 3 out of my 4 pregnancies (the first one was after fertility treatment, so not your 'normal' conception)

NineLadiesDancingThroughLife Sun 02-Jan-11 17:04:52

I agree with Yuno, but I was one that was proved right.

I had an inkling, but refused to test until I was 10 days late. We came back from holiday, and I couldn't smoke anymore. To inhale made me retch. Someone mentioned the same had happened to her when she was pregnant, and at that point I 'knew' I was too.

DH knew before I tested too, he said I was acting "all hormonal and stressy" hmm and I never get PMT.

In hindsight, the day after I conceived I went off greek food and only wanted to eat souvlaki and chips every night (I spent the whole of my pregnancy obsessed with potato). At the time, I put it down to overdoing the holiday food but that's ridiculous as I love greek food.

BelieveInLife Sun 02-Jan-11 17:11:02

I "just knew" with my first, despite it being the first time of trying and not having any early symptoms. I just felt different in a way I can't describe and couldn't put my finger on and I was so sure I even started looking at maternity clothes I think female intuition and our minds are great things and not to be underestimated.

BooBooGlass Sun 02-Jan-11 17:29:09

Maybe it is intuition then. WHo knows? Really interestign reading everyones stories

crochetcircle Sun 02-Jan-11 20:14:48

I felt sure I was pregnant most months that I wasn't - especially when I started TTC, when I had every symptom under the clock. But the longer TTC went on the less sure I was each month.

The two times that I was actually pregnant, I didn't think I was!

I agree with yunoyurbobson - some people might get it right by chance one month, but I really don't think you can 'just know'.

discobeaver Sun 02-Jan-11 20:23:35

I knew before my period because I got tiny headspins, like a mini dizzy spell, probably down to blood pressure changes. As soon as the first one came I was pretty sure. I think any intuition is down to physical/ chemical changes whether we are conscious of them or not. The body will sense hormonal changes and this accounts for the "just knowing" feeling. It's not magical womanly power!

CarGirl Sun 02-Jan-11 20:26:14

I should have realised sooner than I did. I felt absolutely dreadful, was wondering why on earth I was TTC when I could barely cope with the 3 I had.

Felt nauseous and tearful.

Tested on date af due and was positive, then did a head smack, no wonder I had felt so flippin ill!

mama923 Sun 02-Jan-11 20:26:48

i just knew! i had a strange feeling, it was so odd. i did a test at first which said negative, so i just had to buy another because i knew it was wrong, and it was! im now 34 weeks!

LadyGoneGaga Sun 02-Jan-11 20:36:14

I've known every time - dizzy spells, bad taste in mouth, just feeling odd. It is different to PMT. I think if you are very in tune with your body it is definitely possible to know. Easier to know when you've been pregnant before though as you know what you're looking for.

newmum001 Sun 02-Jan-11 20:37:22

I just knew, no pains or sickness in the early days i just felt different. I was so sure even though my period wasn't due for a week. I went and bought a test that you could do 6 days before a missed period and the line was so strong! So IMO it is possible to just know!

Besom Sun 02-Jan-11 20:43:26

Yes it is possible.

I've been pregnant three times and known within days of conception all of these times.

Besom Sun 02-Jan-11 20:45:12

It isn't 'intuition' in my case - it has been definite physical changes.

herbietea Sun 02-Jan-11 20:45:53

Message withdrawn

bonnymiffy Sun 02-Jan-11 21:00:53

I had an implantation bleed about a week before I was due on, so the test confirmed what I already knew. But I didn't have any kind of intuition - I've never been that intuitive about anything though so that's not saying much. I'm crossing my fingers for your friend though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now