Talk

Advanced search

Fretting - ectopic pregnancy fear after IVF, advice/experience

(22 Posts)
vallinnapod Sat 01-Jan-11 16:53:05

Hi all,

Quickly - 4+6 after IVF. When I lie very flat I have a small hard swelling quite far to the left. Swelling may be bit strong a word for it. I am now paranoid about ectopic pregnancy. Any one got an experience? Am so early that didn't expect anything really at this stage and until now I have been quite bloated from the egg collection/embryo transfer.

Just looking for reassurance as working myself up now and of course nowhere open to talk to (fertility clinic/EPU) Any ladies with 'normal' pregnancies start with swelling/hardening on one side?

thanks

MrsCratchit Sat 01-Jan-11 17:10:32

I had an EP at 5+4 back in Feb, and didn't have any swelling or hardening at all. I've heard a lot of EP stories since (vist ectopic.org.uk/forums) and never what you describe as a symptom.

My symptoms were wind like pain on and off. Pain when pressing down on the point where my left Fallopian tube. There was a small amount of blood in discharge before the pain begun. About 24 hrs later a full bleed.

Another commonly cited symptom is a sharp shoulder tip pain. It is very specific to the shoulder tip and not just an ache on the shoulder area.

I hope that is of some help...

Good luck.

vallinnapod Sat 01-Jan-11 17:22:08

Thank you. I'm really sorry for your experience and am very grateful you shared with me. Good luck in th future.

MrsCratchit Sat 01-Jan-11 17:32:01

Thank you. I should have mentioned I am now 32 weeks pg with a baby girl. So if anybody readong this does experience an EP it's obviously horrendous but not the end of the road, and do turn to ectopic.org.uk if you need support or advice.

Alamaya Sat 01-Jan-11 17:50:04

Hi i am 20weeks pregnant following ICSI.
As far as i am aware ectopic would be very inlikely as the egg is placed in the womb. Where as in normal conception the ectopic occurs before the egg reaches there.

I would probably say its your ovary just being grumpy. They scan at 7 weeks normally after IVF and at my scan they said my ovarys were just calming down.

Good luck with your miracle.

vallinnapod Sat 01-Jan-11 17:52:57

Thanks! Obviously just paranoid at every tweak!

Congrats on yours too x

TheLogLadyMBE Sat 01-Jan-11 17:55:29

quite possibly a corpus luteum type cyst? or poo in your bowel.

relax, be observant for any pain and congratulations.

deemented Sat 01-Jan-11 17:56:10

Yes, it could well be that your ovaries are a little enlarged - they would have been stimulated lots for you to produce eggs, and then the egg collection itself - everything is probably just settling back down in there, and baby's getting nice and comfy.

Congratulations btw!

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 01-Jan-11 17:57:32

I would have thought it was unlikely for the embryo to migrate from the womb to the fallopian tube? In fact is that even possible? The fallopian tubes have fibres on them to encourage the eggs down - not sure if it possible to go up?

TMI perhaps but might it be constipation? Similar area...grin

You wouldnt be able to feel the pregnancy swelling yet - is down under your pubic bone smile

delllie Sat 01-Jan-11 18:00:46

I had this when I became pregnant with my DS. I could feel lumps both sides, mentioned it to the nurse at the clinic and it turned out I could feel my ovaries which were still very swollen from the IVF.

I remember that paranoia very well wink and congratulation!!

TheLogLadyMBE Sat 01-Jan-11 18:03:53

Do Not Panic but...

risk of ectopic is actually increased with IVF pregnancies so you are absolutely right to look out and be aware of symptoms.

I could feel a lump when i had my ectopic which was a large ovarian cyst. but I also had one when I was pregnant with DD2.

MrsCratchit Sat 01-Jan-11 18:08:29

I really don't want to scaremonger, but it's important people don't ignore the symptoms of an ectopic as they think it's not possible to have an EP after IVF. It is possible.

I don't think the OP's symptoms sound like an EP, but I'd hate anyone to dismiss one sided pain etc. thinking it can't happen due to the way they conceived.

EP symptoms
[http://www.ectopic.org.uk/index.php/patients/symp toms-and-diagnosis/symptoms-ectopic/]

EP and IVF
[http://www.ivf-infertility.com/ivf/standard/compl ications/ectopic_pregnancy2.php]

vallinnapod Sat 01-Jan-11 18:22:58

Ladies, thanks for all you experiences and cautions. All are really appreciated. I will obviously keep a feel or of all the EP signs and symptoms mentioned.

TMI but I have been suffering from terrible bloating and constipation from both the EC and as a result of the Cyclogest. To this extent I haven't noticed any post-EC ovary swelling until now as I was so bloated! So yes, it could be a delightful lump of...blush (not really blushing, my shame and dignity left the building when assisted conception started!)

Again, thank you all x

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 01-Jan-11 20:03:43

grin and, erm, post christmas wink

All pregnancies even without IVF I have looked so bloated in the first few weeks. With each pregnancy I also got a dullish ache around my left ovary area.

However - perhaps give your MW (or whoever you have been seeing) a ring just to make sure?

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 01-Jan-11 20:04:20

Thanks mrscratchit - I never knew that smile

SlightlyTubbyHali Sat 01-Jan-11 20:15:16

Vallinnapod, I've had 2 ectopics, and while I have never had a lump as a symptom, others are right re the risks of ectopics being increased with IVF and so it doesn't hurt to get checked over. The risks are still small though so do not panic!

With my last viable pregnancy the doctor was able to confirm she was in utero at 4+4. So why don't you get someone decent to do a scan? Your clinic may be willing to help you out with this even though they usually don't scan until 6 weeks.

If you're in London and can get a referral you could go to UCH for a scan. They diagnosed my second ep when another sonographer would not get off the fence and then confirmed my viable pregnancy very early. I really really rate them.

I would bet an ovarian cyst or a poo are waaay more likely than ectopics.

Hope it sorts itself out soon. And congratulations. smile

vallinnapod Sun 02-Jan-11 14:30:41

Hi all,

Got checked out at the clinic this morning. Ovaries still a bit swollen - ironically the right more than the left (swelling on left side...!)

Couldn't see anything on the scan, there was a small 'empty' looking area in my uterus but he said it was too early to tell if it was a fold or a sac. Scan being repeated on 10th Jan

HCG levels around 1500 which is a little low apparently but it's only a number until Tuesday when the test will e repeated.

Not huge piece of mind...just a waiting game.

deemented Sun 02-Jan-11 14:33:32

Oh love, this really is a head fuck, isn't it?

I know they probably said this, but you're still very very early days, and so much can happen.

huge hugs, love - chin up.

vallinnapod Sun 02-Jan-11 15:23:48

Hit the nail on the head! Wish there was a button to press to turn my brain off until we know!!!

SlightlyTubbyHali Sun 02-Jan-11 17:27:10

Oh poor thing, the waiting is crap crap crap.

I really hope it all turns out fine for you.

mummyworries Mon 03-Jan-11 10:03:16

i had two ectopics and a miscarriage in 7 months. i know how worried you must be it was an awful time!! just waiting to see what happens is the worst bit.the first ectopic was at about 6 weeks before i new anything was wrong i had a slight bleed and then a bit of stomach pain went to hospital to get checked out as i had a miscarriage first,thought that was happening again, then on the scan they saw the baby growing on my left tube,then i started bleeding lots and it went on its own without no treatment just bloodtests to check my levels were going down. then a couple of months later i was about 5 to 6 weeks and had no bleeding but a bit of stomach pain, so back to the hospital again and the baby was on the left tube and still growing so i had my left tube removed. i never felt no hard lumps of any sort so fingers crossed for you x x good luck

vallinnapod Tue 04-Jan-11 16:32:43

Hi all - HCG levels satisfactory which is a relief. I was told to avoid getting stressed out....stress levels plummeted about 4000% after than phone call.

They are still scanning me on 10th (6 weeks) but I am taking it as a positive they don't feel the need for more bloods until at least then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now