Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone work on a supermarket deli counter?

(9 Posts)
jasmine51 Fri 31-Dec-10 19:39:56

Hiya
At Waitrose today I wanted some cheese from the deli counter but although the cheese I wanted was hard and pasteurised, I wondered about cross contamination of the cutting board from other cheeses. The assistant showed me that all blue cheeses are cut on a separate blue cutting board (which I never knew before) but as far as she knew, any 'white' cheese would be cut on the white board and that included bries and other soft mould ripened or unpasteurised cheeses. In the event at my request she cut my cheese with a cleaned knife on a newly washed board but without getting paranoid about these things does anyone think this is an issue?
Just interested on views really, I dont want to start a 'paranoid pg group' or anything

thenightsky Fri 31-Dec-10 19:48:21

Hmmm... I never thought about it before... but DD has made it to the age of 23 and I virtually lived on brie and camembert for my entire pregnancy.

mangoandlime Fri 31-Dec-10 19:52:07

You're only talking about a tiny amount. I wouldn't worry. Waitrose will happily meet your request to clean each time. You don't have a problem!

hocuspontas Fri 31-Dec-10 19:55:11

I always thought the cutting was done on greaseproof paper of some sort. Didn't give the knife a thought. Another one who's survived though wink

jasmine51 Fri 31-Dec-10 19:58:58

Not worried at all, just wondered why they would go to the trouble of having a separate blue cheese wire when they are mixing their white cheeses too.

thenightsky Fri 31-Dec-10 20:06:44

I could ask my MiL who works for Waitrose if you like jasmine.

jasmine51 Fri 31-Dec-10 20:10:07

Would be interested!

mangoandlime Fri 31-Dec-10 20:12:11

Aesthetics I think.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 31-Dec-10 20:12:15

I should think they have a seperate wire for blue cheese just because its such a strong tasting cheese any bits would be noticed on a different cheese. Plus any blue bits might be mistaken for mould.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: