Talk

Advanced search

Can't shift this cold

(6 Posts)
nicki1978 Fri 31-Dec-10 11:25:47

Hi all,

I have had the flu jab every year for the last 6 years due to being diagnosed with asthma. This was because I caught cold after cold for several months which left me unable to breathe properly, hence the diagnosis. Since then whenever I have the flu jab I find that I have one cold a year for only a few days.

This year, at the time the flu jab was due, I was only a few weeks pregnant so decided not to have it until I got to 10 week scan (just to make sure everything was okay), but I picked up a cold in early November and I just don't seem to be able to shift it or it appears that when I seem to be getting better I pick up another one. I was feeling great yesterday for first time (no coughs, sneezes, nose blowing, etc), but this morning I just feel that I am back to square 1 and am just soooo tired with it as well. I am 15 weeks tomorrow.

Now with all the news press with the swine / bird flu thing again I am a bit worried that I probably should have had it done anyway.

I have booked myself in now and earliest I can have it is next Tuesday and hoping that this cold clears enough to be able to have it.

I know the docs don't like to give you the flu jab when your full of cold (when not pregnant), but is this because of a medical reason or just because that's how they feel or is it that now I'm pregnant it is better to have it anyway?

Sorry bit of a long one smile xx

thelizard Fri 31-Dec-10 13:45:28

Hi, I was in a similar situation just before Christmas, although I was 17 weeks. I had had a cold for 2 weeks, but asked nurse and she said it was fine to still have the jab. Had it, had a sore arm for a couple of days and then nothing... And cold cleared up! Hope that helps x

flowerfairy Fri 31-Dec-10 14:01:58

Some people suffer with a permanently blocked nose during pregnancy too. Which may also be a reason why it feels like it has dragged on. DH says i'm snoring like a trooper atm as have slight cold and grotty nose.

nicki1978 Fri 31-Dec-10 14:50:54

thelizard - that's put my mind at rest now on having the flu jab - thanks smile

flowerfairy - thanks for your post, I didn't know that. and yes my DH says I have also taken up snoring, and wakes me a few times a night to tell me grrrr grin, love him to bits really though smile.

xx

MsFC Fri 31-Dec-10 16:46:28

Hi nic, I have had a cold since Xmas Eve, and went to the Dr yesterday for antibiotics as it had turned into an ear infection. She persuaded me to have the flu jab, and I figured I couldn't feel any worse, so I went for it. Im 37 weeks. The cold is no better, but no worse either, so I say go for it x

Steph2011 Fri 31-Dec-10 16:50:53

Hi i had the flu jab at 10 weeks after a scan confirmed all was well with baby, although since i have had it i have developed a cold but sure that was in the pipeline anyway!
the nurse checked my temperature before she gave it to me so they may just do that just to check you dont already have an infection or something.

Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now