Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Humidifier for Nursery

(25 Posts)
MrsCratchit Thu 30-Dec-10 20:18:28

Hi there,

So many Qs today- in nesting overload- sorry!

Was just wondering whether it is necessary to buy a humidifier for the baby's room/ our room whilst she's still in with us? Both are good size double bedrooms in a Victorian terrace. We have large windows but given we're in London don't sleep with them open.

Thanks!

MumNWLondon Thu 30-Dec-10 20:26:02

?!?

Yes its vital, everyone has one. Maybe 2 one for each room. Actually maybe 6 so one for each room in the house. And a portable one to take with you.

MrsCratchit Thu 30-Dec-10 20:28:19

Charming. Thanks.

EauRudolph Thu 30-Dec-10 20:35:34

I bought one when DD was 6 weeks old and had a terrible cold but was too young to take anything for it. I only use it when she's ill but I think it was worth it, I think it was about £30 from Boots.

MrsCratchit Thu 30-Dec-10 20:38:29

Thanks Eau. I have seen a few in the online sales and was just wondering whether it was a necessary investment- a quick google had it as a 'must have', but from US websites so I wondered what the consensus was on this side of the Atlantic.

Mumcah Thu 30-Dec-10 20:47:25

Hi.a friend of mine has one in her child's room because he asthma and often gets chest infections and the like. I don't know of anyone else though so I don't think it's all that common.
Maybe common in the States as in a lot of places they have the air con on?

debka Thu 30-Dec-10 20:53:01

I didn't even know these existed!!

Showdown Thu 30-Dec-10 21:02:55

Got this one - works really well. Initially needed it for snuffly newborn...

www.amazon.co.uk/Vicks-V-610E-Warm-Mist-Humidifier /dp/B000LN5FZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293742885&s r=8-1

theyoungvisiter Thu 30-Dec-10 21:08:47

In answer to your question "is it necessary" the answer is no. It's not necessary. I don't know a single person in my entire North London existence who has one.

It may possibly be useful. I have no idea. But necessary, no.

Why not wait and see if you feel the need for one when the baby is here?

PS Puzzled by your comment about the windows! I am London and always sleep with the windows open...? Why London particularly?

MrsCratchit Thu 30-Dec-10 21:13:46

The noise. We're relatively close to the south circ and railway. DH fine with it being a London boy born and bred, but I'm from the middle of nowhere and have never got used to it.

theyoungvisiter Thu 30-Dec-10 21:27:20

oh I see - how annoying for you. I'm a country lass meself but luckily our road is very quiet!

MumNWLondon Thu 30-Dec-10 21:42:10

sorry about my post, but i live in london, don't know anyone who has one, or indeed why you'd want one - so thought use of "necessary" was a bit odd.

if anything would want a dehumidifier as it can get damp inside in winter if windows are closed. we had one running almost the whole time in our old house due to constant condensation on windows (no double glazing allowed in consevation area)

MrsCratchit Thu 30-Dec-10 21:53:43

Thanks for the apology NWL. I do realise some Qs may seem daft, but although I am in my 30s not one of my London based friends has children and I haven't been in a household with a baby since my own childhood. I find most of the 'how to' books such dull reads, I tend to give up on them fairly quickly, so find myself clueless and consequently somewhat overwhelmed by the sheer amount of nursery bits and bobs places like John Lewis recommend. Hopefully NCT will help.

MumNWLondon Thu 30-Dec-10 22:06:14

The john lewis list is totally over the top, lots of stuff on the list that you don't really need at all.

We took the route of not buying much before hand and waiting to see if we actually needed anything before buying. You have a much better idea of what you need after the baby comes. But I live 5 mins from Brent Cross shopping centre, so popping out to get something was easy. But you can order things you need online and they come quickly.

We also borrowed stuff, which is good as when finished you give it back don't need to store it.

Leilababyno1 Thu 30-Dec-10 22:06:47

I feel you MrsCratchit...No question is a silly question. I am the same, live in London, late twenties and first baby, all my friends not in the child way yet..and it's scary and overwhelming. Don't be embarrassed to ask any question! Really don't see the point of sarcy posts(MumNWLondon)..confused

hannahlowri Thu 30-Dec-10 22:12:23

MumNWLondon apologised FFS!!!!

happycamel Fri 31-Dec-10 12:12:21

not sure about humidifiers generally. You might want to check that you can clean it properly. Isn't there a Legionnaires risk from air conditioning/humidifiers because of the warm water sat around and the sprayed our in droplets.

Sorry, not trying to scaremonger; just thought it's something you might want to check.

meensmith Sat 23-May-15 12:27:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sianihedgehog Sat 23-May-15 12:44:37

In the US they tend to use forced air central heating systems and central air conditioning, and so the indoor air is very dry in comparison to the UK, especially in the Northern US and Canada. That's why they list them as a must have, but because the indoor air is much moister here there's no need unless little one has a cold or something.

Caterina99 Sat 23-May-15 13:45:48

Im in the US. They really are are essential here, the air is so dry especially in winter because it's sooo cold! Not really as necessary in the UK though in my opinion.

Bex174 Sat 23-May-15 14:13:14

Have you thought about the ceramic humidifiers that you simply hang on the front of your radiator? Totally silent as they work by heat circulation alone and don't cause dampness in the room as it's just a subtle humidity, not a focussed motor driven one. Also they work all the time the radiator is in, which is the main time you need to help the air out a bit.

I have them for asthma and they work really well and at about £5 for two you can't really go wrong!

misssmilla1 Sat 23-May-15 14:33:44

I just bought one, but I'm in the US and they're recommended by the pediatrician due to the extremes in temperatures. We have a very stuffy second bedroom that's either cold or baking depending on the season

batfish Sat 23-May-15 14:59:26

I hadn't really thought about this but I'm in the UAE and from May to Oct we have AC blasting constantly so maybe should think about it - baby due in Oct so would prob have AC going for a bit longer in the year than we would usually to keep it a bit cooler for the baby.

MrsAnxiety1 Sat 23-May-15 22:25:50

Re: risk of airborne diseases like Legionnaires, that risk is for cold humidifiers (the ones that use ultrasonic vibrations to create a cold mist rather than heat and are often sold as room scent diffusers). Hot-water humidifiers should be considerably less prone to such things, as the heat kills the bugs - that said, they do need cleaning often as a precaution. As someone with a periodically bad chest, I have to be very careful with humidity levels so as not to end up with mould in the house. I'd probably find that a humidifier was useful when it came to colds etc, but less so day-to-day. Don't know if that helps, OP :-)

Roseybee10 Sat 23-May-15 23:18:35

Never even heard of them so not an essential in my book (I'm from Glasgow).
I would just get the absolute essentials and wait til baby is here then buy anything else you feel you might need.
It's hard to know the first time what you'll use and what u won't - better to ask on somewhere like this than spend loads of money on things you don't need and not have stuff you do need xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now