Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

20 week scan

(7 Posts)
Alamaya Thu 30-Dec-10 18:17:23

Hey all,

Just had 20 week scan and baby is perfect.

Just wondering if the following is normal.
I was so sure i was having a boy just an instinct. I was so shocked to find out we are having a girl.
Dont get me wrong after IVF any baby to me is amazing and i am so happy for a little girl.
I just feel so lost. I had a boys name sorted was planning the blue room. I am just sat here staring at the laptop and its so hard getting my head round changing everything to pink and a new name.

Like i say i am delighted but i am sat here in shock and lost. Is this normal? lol.

MumNWLondon Thu 30-Dec-10 18:46:47

Apparently most people assume/have instinct their first will be a boy, I did.

I found out at 25 weeks it was a girl, and it took time to get used to, but was still in denial a bit until she was born, once she was born I couldn't imagine it any other way, and now she has 2 little brothers, I'm glad it was a girl first time!

mumatron Thu 30-Dec-10 19:29:15

i felt pretty much the same with this one. i was 100% it was a boy and i really had my heart set on name and knew how nursery would look.

scan showed a girl and my heart sank.

i wont lie and said i got over it straight away but i am now very happy. i think shopping and picking all the little outfits helped me.

if i could of picked i would of opted for a boy (3rd and last dc for me) but i am happy to be having a healthy baby.

i bet you feel the same in a few weeks.

in fact i can't imagine having another boy now!

ShowOfHands Thu 30-Dec-10 19:32:38

You'll be fine. It's just a bit of a shock.

And you don't have to decorate in pink or blue. There are other colours out there.

You love the baby you get. It's only knowing this one fact about them that gives it unfair significance. You don't know anything else about your child and you'll love them for their scrunched up, yawny, milky, unique, wonderful existence, not the gender they are.

cece Thu 30-Dec-10 19:34:13

Please don't do everything pink. You will be sick of that colour in 4 years time! Honestly paint her room a lovely pale blue.

mumatron Thu 30-Dec-10 19:37:52

i have done this baby's room a lovely coffee-mocha colour with aqua accessories. there are bits of pink in there, but you don't need to go on a pink overload.

Leilababyno1 Thu 30-Dec-10 19:40:46

I felt convinced I was having a boy, but at our 20 week scan we found out that we are having a little girl. It does take a little getting used to, when your instinct has been telling you something different...but we decided to decorate the nursery in a lovely, relaxing pale 'apple' green. Laura Ashley do some lovely nursery paint shades..No need to do the pink thing OR blue!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: