Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pregnant body

(93 Posts)
autumnberry Thu 30-Dec-10 16:59:36

I am feeling miffed about my pregnant body and fancied sharing. It is not ugly or awful, and love feeling my little baby growing, but I really, really miss the freedom of my slim pre-pregnant body. I did not realise I was so vain wink and spend a lot of time thinking that I'm just waiting this pregnancy out. Does anyone else feel the same? Any positive stories about post-pregnancy bodies would be welcomed.

Hannah1890 Thu 30-Dec-10 17:16:21

No positive stories here but am definatley feeling the same. 39 weeks pregnant with DC1 and fed up of pregnant body. Like you, I love the fact baby is growing and feel quite proud when told hes doing well, but also feel like a whale, not loving the ever increasing amount of stretch marks, and tried to clean the shower today only to realise I couldnt crouch down due to massive bump being squished against the door would have been funny if wasn't overly emotional lol. Feel bad complaining, but very glad its not just me thankyou for giving me a chance to moan will be looking out for some positive stories to

thefurryone Thu 30-Dec-10 17:27:50

My body is doing my head in, obviously I'm totally in awe of it's ability to grow a baby, but I seem to spend all my time worrying about whether I'm putting on too much weight, too little weight, is my bump too big or too small for my dates, is my back ever going to be the same, will my stomach muscles ever recover, will I have sciatica forever, is my oesophagus wasting away due to the amount of acid constantly making it's way up where it shouldn't be, am I going to spend the rest of my life with a flabby belly (in fairness I've spent most of my life with one so far smile and repeat.

I've always struggled with my body image as I'm quite short, have a large fairly muscular build and I really struggle to keep my weight down. I really thought that pregnancy would be a time for me to relax and just not worry about it too much, but apparently not!!

yama Thu 30-Dec-10 17:36:53

For me the very best thing about not being pregnant anymore was being able to curl up into a ball and be comfortable. I suppose it reflected getting my body back.

I became very slim after dc1 and quite slim after dc2. Breastfeeding seemed to pull in my waist very quickly. I am now happy with my body.

Good luck by the way. I'm sure that very soon you will forget all about it.

beckie90 Thu 30-Dec-10 17:38:00

well with ds i put on 3 n half stone i was a size 6 pre pregnancy, i ate n ate all the way through and i mean stuffed my face with anything chinese kfc the lot lol. id lost most of the weight by the time he was 5 days old, no stretch marks on tummy at all, also went back flat, i did get stretch marks on my butt but im not traumatised by that there barely visible. however now 25 weeks with dc2 getting quite concerned this time thinking omg im gonna be saggy

Mahraih Thu 30-Dec-10 18:08:17

No positive story as this is my first, just empathy as I'm having the same feelings as you! Have already started my post-pregnancy wardrobe.

For every woman who finds it difficult to lose weight after giving birth, there are women who find it really easy. Most of us will probably be somewhere in the middle!

autumnberry Thu 30-Dec-10 18:10:20

Thanks for sharing hannah and furry. Glad I'm not the only one. Glad to hear yama and beckie snapped back into shape. Always encouraged to hear stories of no-stretchmarks. Love the image of curling into a little ball.

autumnberry Thu 30-Dec-10 18:13:06

grin Mahraih, I too am dreaming of a post-pregnancy wardrobe!

I guess the whole thing is connected to saying goodbye to a previous, younger self and way of life. I am sure I will love having my baby and the new lifestyle that he brings.

yama Thu 30-Dec-10 18:43:25

AutumnBerry - no stretchmarks with dc1 and a few very late on with dc2. They have really faded though and I only gave birth 4 months ago. They did make me very upset at the time I have to admit. So please listen to people that tell you that stretchmarks fade.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Thu 30-Dec-10 18:51:44

Autumn I feel the same. Love the process and my baby but 25 weeks and hate my body (not helped by how baby's lying), hate the feeling it's only going to get worse, hate the uncertainty and hate the stretchmarks (although my skin is prone to them anyway).

Good to hear positives though!

growing3rdbump Thu 30-Dec-10 19:04:27

I'm preg with DC3 and alsolooking forward to getting back to pre-preg body... but also know this is unlikely for me until around 9 months after birth, when i'll probably have finished breastfeeding and hope breasts will have resumed normal, smaller size once more! I was size 6/8 pre DD1 and was dismayed to find I didn't spring back in to shape following her birth. I was back slim again by the time she was one tho... Bit heavier before having DS1, but again got slim again by the time he was 1... I'm now expecting DC3 and have certainly gained more weight this time, but am also hoping i'll get back to my old size eventually. Unfortunately I find I'm still in maternity/baggy clothes for a good while and clothes suitable for breastfeeding aren't too glamorous either. So, instead of looking forward to post-preg body, I look forward most to post-breastfeeding body!!!

growing3rdbump Thu 30-Dec-10 19:05:16

oh and I also managed to avoid stretchmarks with frist 2 children... can see them appearing this time tho :-(

autumnberry Thu 30-Dec-10 19:06:26

I feel better for sharing. I hope some others do too.

GF&M: I'm 25 weeks too. Best of luck!
I hear frankincense essential oil (diluted in base) is great for preventing and healing stretchmarks. Might be worth a try.

Want2bSupermum Thu 30-Dec-10 19:15:11

I am 13 wks and I have a rock hard underbelly and a flabby belly on top. All my bottoms give me a muffin top but I am too cheap to buy clothes in the next size up. I am not looking forward to the next six months as summers here are hot (above 30 everyday) and humid. Speaking with my gf last week we decided the best symptom of pregnancy was losing your memory. I am hoping I won't be able to remember feeling so wretched.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Thu 30-Dec-10 19:22:33

Autumn are you on the April antenatal thread? We're talking shopping at the moment grin so come join us if you're not!

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Thu 30-Dec-10 19:25:00

Want2 where are you? Sounds very like where I am: currently summer, hot and humid, pregnancy nightmare!

autumnberry Thu 30-Dec-10 19:27:59

No, not on April thread. Will try to find you smile

NeedToSleepZZZ Thu 30-Dec-10 19:29:15

I've been freaking out about my size since I was about 11 weeks, I was a 6/8 before and now wearing size 14 non maternity clothes which I know isn't huge but as an ex anorexic I HATE it. I love rubbing my tummy and know I haven't got long to go now (34 weeks) but people keep saying I'll spring back into shape and I know I won't, it's going to be tough work. It's amazing that our bodies can do this but it's the loss of control that upsets me. My mum has bought me some night dresses for post birth that are a size 8/10 and they make me want to cry sad

Want2bSupermum Thu 30-Dec-10 19:32:05

Gold - I am 30min south of NYC. It is currently 28F and I am using vitamin E oil and 8 hour cream to try and repair my cracked hands. We just had 3ft of snow. From June onwards it is 85F+ and humid. I am due at the start of July so NOT looking forward to it.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Thu 30-Dec-10 19:38:06

Could you send me some cold and snow, please?! It's nearly midnight and still about 36C. Don't want to know what % humidity It's the humidity that's the killer really...

I'm not looking forward to the third trimester but at least it'll be cooler when baby arrives!

autumnberry Thu 30-Dec-10 19:45:25

that you are feeling like you want to cry NeedToSleep. It is hard to relinquish control.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Thu 30-Dec-10 19:56:52

April thread - it's long so just jump in! We have a stats thread too somewhere.

Petsville Thu 30-Dec-10 20:05:40

You might bounce straight back into shape - I hated pregnancy, felt fat and disgusting all the way through and was dreading the process of getting my shape back, but actually was back in my pre-pregnancy clothes 5 days after DS was born, and was genuinely pretty much back to my pre-baby shape within two weeks apart from the breastfeeding boobs. When I'm naked you can tell that my stomach isn't quite the same (stretch marks and crepey skin - fortunately I've never been a bikini type), but I'm basically the same shape as I always was. I was fit and I'd exercised all the way through my pregnancy, which probably helped, but I didn't have to do anything to look more or less normal again. Hope this cheers you up.

Sufi Thu 30-Dec-10 20:10:27

POsitive story for you all: I really struggled with DS1, put on 3 stone, had massive thighs & didn't lose so much at childbirth (even managed to put on weight during 1st few months of breastfeeding). BUT I breastfed for a year & it was amazing to see the weight gradually drop off. I didn't diet AT ALL, though I did start running again, and I went right back to a size 8. It took a while but it all came off.

Am now 32wks with DC2 and could honestly not give a stuff. I think it's hardest 1st time round as it's such a shock & you do have such a loss of control.

I hate being pg, cannot wait until I can get my body back, start running, sleep on my tummy.. but the one thing I'm not worried about this time is losing the weight.

Good luck everyone - you will come out the other side!

autumnberry Thu 30-Dec-10 20:23:43

Thank you Sufi and Petsville

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: