Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Not looking pregnant :(

(22 Posts)
pissovski Wed 29-Dec-10 21:07:39

Hi All,

Just a moan

Am 22 weeks pg (today) and am conscious of being a bit firmer round my waist (ie clothes are too tight) but that is it. I don't look pg - just fat.

I am a larger lady to begin with (size 16 - 18) and I can get away with some of my ordinary clothes still (i buy generously sized stuff anyway)but went out today to buy some pg work pants. When trying on, i felt very conscious of just looking fat (which i am used too!)

Sorry just on a downer - but anyone got any ideas what might help?

Also - where is best for bra fitting? am sick of not feeling quite comfy!

Nagoo Wed 29-Dec-10 21:08:54

getting even more pregnant will definitely help wink

sorry.

JaquelinehydeAllThePresents Wed 29-Dec-10 21:10:46

You will suddenly just pop I promise.

cherrypiew3 Wed 29-Dec-10 21:16:46

hi i always find marks and spencers good for bra fitting

pissovski Wed 29-Dec-10 21:17:00

Lol Nagoo - DH says that!

I hope so Jacqueline.

Think its probably just my usual insecurities of being fat creeping up more.

smoggii Wed 29-Dec-10 21:22:22

I can completely sympathise - I do look pregnant now - I'm 40+8 but through most of my pregnancy i thought i didn't look pregnant just fatter. I was a 16 when i started and maternity clothes just didn't suit my shape so i had to just buy bigger clothes which probably made it worse. It really got me down.

My friends kept telling me i did look pregnant but then all of a sudden - at about 32 weeks they all went 'actually now you really do look pregnant'... so they were fibbing before (very sweet of them).

Ultimately the most important thing is a healthy pregnancy so keep rubbing your belly and making pregnant statements, that's what i did. It's only for 9 months hmm

faverolles Wed 29-Dec-10 21:32:33

I'm 36 weeks now, and if I wear my coat I don't look pg, just fat!
Some people still don't know I'm pg. They're going to get quite a shock

pissovski Wed 29-Dec-10 21:41:42

glad to know i am not the only one!!

Thanks all - you have made me feel better

kiwijesta Wed 29-Dec-10 21:43:13

I also like M&S for bra fittings, they have 2 for £25 in maternity bras and a wide range of non-wired if you are going down that track. I didn't want to but by 30 weeks they were the only bras comfortable, just a shame about the lack of shape!

PS I was convinced at 19/20 weeks I looked pg but the girl I worked with said I just looked fat until 24 or so weeks.

Littlefish Wed 29-Dec-10 21:47:18

My theory (as a big girl myself), is that you don't look pregnant until your tummy sticks out further than your boobs!

The theory certainly worked for me. I didn't show until I was about 7 months pregnant.

pissovski Wed 29-Dec-10 22:12:19

Thanks Littlefish - that sounds possible!

Kiwijesta - 2 for £25!! I am super skint and so that sounds loads! Usually about £5/6 from supermarkets!! Will just have to bite the bullet i guess. With 38dd's pre preg i don't think underwired would work I have a bot of a fear of them actually, as my mum wouldn't buy underwired ones

Thanks again xxx

Littlefish Wed 29-Dec-10 22:19:27

Underwired bras are fine in pregnancy as long as they fit really well, and do not cut into the breast tissue at all. I wore underwired bras though my pregnancy, but had them checked every 3 weeks.

pissovski Wed 29-Dec-10 22:22:52

mine aren't cutting in - i have been super careful about that. They just don't feel 'quite right'. Nothing seemed to happen to them til the last week or two really, and now they are just bit less comfortable, so i think the time has come

CupcakesHay Wed 29-Dec-10 22:55:08

Don't worry - you'll look pregnant soon enough. I was a bit like you and felt a little gutted about not looking pregnant - but now i'm 35 weeks pg and look it (took it's time getting there!)

Can't help much on the bra front - all the ones I've seen are about £25 a bra, which is annoying. I'm on my second set of sizes too and still have to get fitted after the birth for a nursing bra!

smoggii Thu 30-Dec-10 07:21:58

Again i sympathise on the bra front, we were having our house fixed up for most of my pregnancy so had no 'spare' cash.

Bras are of course an essential so it's important to get it right but you don't have to pay through the nose - I agree that 2 for £25 is a good deal considering the cost of M&S bras but it's a rubbish deal when you havn't got £25!!

Asda do some soft bras (although not specifically for maternity) in packets for about £5/6. I went to a poshish bra shop got fitted, tried on loads of bras got told what i should be looking for in fit (where the band should lie, how it should feel on the front etc) didn't buy then went to asda and took a load into the changing room until i found ones that fit comfortably.

Another option is e-bay once you have tried a load on. You can get some at very resonable prices, the only problem is if they don't fit you probably have to re-sell on ebay as you can't take them back, but that's easy enough.

Pootle78 Thu 30-Dec-10 07:58:29

I got 2 nursing bra's for £10 in Matalan and I am a 40DD, one black, one white in a pack with the clip to help with feeding.

When I announced at work I was pregnant (at 25 weeks) I could still breath in and have a bit of a flabby belly, but by 29 weeks I popped and it hasn't stopped since! I am now 36 weeks and I definitely look v pregnant!

It will happen, you spend all of your time wishing for your bump to appear and then when it does appear, complaining because it's in the way!!!

Don't worry!

hildathebuilder Thu 30-Dec-10 08:05:08

I never looked pregnant! I had my ds at 29+3 and some of my clients who I had seen the previosu week when told I was unexepectedly on mat leave (9 weeks before planned) commented that they hadn't known I was pregnant. Good thingabout that was it took me a week to get back into my ordinary jeans

pissovski Thu 30-Dec-10 11:52:11

Thanks again all - you have made me feel better

Smoggi - thinking of doing that Will try to get a fitting somewhere, then take myself off to other places

beckie90 Thu 30-Dec-10 12:46:03

im nearly 25 weeks and still not showing im a size 6-8 and my belly to me just looks abit bloated n podgy lol

ANTagony Thu 30-Dec-10 12:49:45

Debenhams have got some nursing bras at 70% off at present thats from £7.50 for two. Free delivery to store for collection too.

pissovski Thu 30-Dec-10 15:14:37

Thanks ANT - will have a look at them

Its weird isn't it beckie confused I guess i should be grateful. I remember seeing someone i went to school with when they were at a similar stage in their pregnancy, and they were huge - i honestly thought they were about 8 months (hadn't seen them for ages)I remember thinking that i hoped i didn't get that way by this point, as i have a tendancy to be overweight anyway. Never considered how i would be concerned about the opposite. My mum told me that when she was pg she hardly showed til 6.5/7 months but i thought that was cos she was slim anyway!

I have actually lost a few pounds 'en route' too

beckie90 Thu 30-Dec-10 15:40:46

it is this is my 2nd and with ds i was huge at this point but this time round i have nothing there. i have lost weight too im still below my pre pregnancy weight.
people used to say to me when i was pregnant last time your showing cause your slim, but that cant be true cause im really slim now and im not showing, im just hoping i dont just pop all at one lol

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: