Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Group B Strep Test

(9 Posts)
Chloejp91 Wed 29-Dec-10 17:12:04

Hello.
I was wondering whether you get tested for this in the UK? I haven't seen it anywhere really and was wondering if it's tested at all?
Thanks in advance!

SilveryMoon Wed 29-Dec-10 17:13:56

It's not routinely tested for in the UK. Think you can pay for it though.

Hannah1890 Wed 29-Dec-10 17:17:03

Hi, I was tested for it when had a routine swab checking for thrush, didn't know about it at the time but was told the result because I did have strep B. Hope this helps.

SilveryMoon Wed 29-Dec-10 17:18:39

I was tested for it with ds2 because of ongoing UTI's. The first I knew was also the results letter in the post telling me I was positive

pozzled Wed 29-Dec-10 17:25:08

It's not done routinely, but you can get it done privately- it's relatively cheap and easy.

very useful site

Chloejp91 Wed 29-Dec-10 17:30:21

Oh okay, thankyou.
I'll talk to my midwife about it tomorrow and see what we can do cause I don't want to take my chances really.
I'll have a look at the site too, thanks!

lucy101 Wed 29-Dec-10 18:14:43

I ordered a kit from the link the PP put up just before Christmas.

My GP's wife just had a baby and he told me that he suggested I get the test even though it was private as in his opinion it was worth doing.

CupcakesHay Wed 29-Dec-10 23:22:19

Hi

Funnily enough, I went to my nurse today and had my swabs done this morning. I'm paying to get tested priavetely - i got my kit here:
http://www.mumstuff.co.uk/acatalog/Group-B-Strepto coccus-Screening-Test-Kit.html

the kit was posted to me, and then it costs ££32 to get the results done. I think you can do the swabs yourself, but I'm just a bit crappy at things like that. The swabs need to be done between 35-37 wks.

Not sure of the actual figures, and I know it's really quite slim that you have it, but I had a friend who's baby died because of this - as she had a homebirth and it happened quite quickly - so I wasn't taking any chances.

LovelyChubbly Tue 04-Jan-11 13:34:07

There's a charity set up for preventing group B Strep infections in babies - Group B Strep Support.

Their website is here and there's information on the availability of testing for GBS during pregnancy at this page - hope that's useful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: