Talk

Advanced search

Swollen Feet and Ankles

(10 Posts)
CupcakesHay Tue 28-Dec-10 23:53:31

I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant, and until now have felt fine.... but tonight, acted like a complete girl and cried when I was laying on sofa and notice my feet and ankles (and even my toes) had ballooned! blush

Anyhow - feeling a little less stupid about my reaction now, but just wondered - is this it until the baby comes - or will the swelling just come and go over the next 5 weeks or so?

StrawberrySam Wed 29-Dec-10 06:58:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CupcakesHay Wed 29-Dec-10 11:14:06

Glad it's not just me then! I felt like such a girl - crying! tsk! It's a bit better this morning, and haven't got anything planned today so going to sit on sofa with feet on a pouffe and watch a movie!

NeedToSleepZZZ Wed 29-Dec-10 19:48:15

I feel your pain cupcakes (34 weeks), I realised just before christmas that my ankles had indents on them from my socks and that hadn't happened before then at christmas I had difficulty doing the zip up on my boots. I find it's worse in the evenings and recommend literally putting your feet up. It hasn't spread to my hands and fingers.... yet hmm

debka Wed 29-Dec-10 19:50:53

Put your feet up WHENEVER you sit down and sit down A LOT. I do this <lazy emoticon> but have never had swollen feet. Carpal tunnel, heartburn and SPD yes, but swollen feet, never.

kiwijesta Wed 29-Dec-10 20:15:14

Hi there, I'm 37 weeks and Ive had cankles since 20 weeks now, on and off. Normal socks are now a no no for me, I use football socks up to my knees or ankle socks. I find that they are worse when I have a big day on my feet, but this is not always the case. Putting my feet up for an hour or so seems to work. Unfortunately my hands have now joined the party and I think I'm gonna have to take off my wedding ring soon. All I can say is good luck!

CupcakesHay Wed 29-Dec-10 21:00:27

Hmmm.... luckily my hands are OK. I will try and put my feet up whenever I can - just gets a bit boring after a while. Oh well - only 4 weeks to go!

tlise Sun 02-Jan-11 01:11:23

Mine are like that anyway due to bp tablets but worse now. As op said, keep feet up as much as poss, even if just sat on the sofa, put them on the cushion next to you. That helps. Try rotating them as well (your feet) while sitting still to get circulation going. Keep an eye out for excessive swelling though but it is very common die to all the extra blood/fluid you are carrying

TooImmature2BMum Sun 02-Jan-11 17:33:24

I'm fairly sure mine have swelled a little but not much (31+3). My hands are swelling every now and then, though - I keep realising my rings are too tight and the other night I could barely get my engagement ring off and panicked. I'm not sure when to just give in and leave them off - I don't want them to have to be cut off because I left it too long, but it would feel weird not to be wearing them. They're okay again just now, probably because my hands are chilly. I'm sure I will cry too if I get cankles! Am going to start wriggling feet obsessively at work...dog is asleep with head on my ankle so can't start now.

LadyGoneGaga Sun 02-Jan-11 21:38:20

Sympathy - I was terrible in my last pregnancy, particularly when it was hotter. Went to my bf's wedding 10 days before I had DS and was a hot day in May. I could only fit one pair of shoes on and they were flip flops. And they still bulged attractively round the straps. Hands were awful too - and started from around 20 weeks.

Am pregnant again and due end July so going to be a barrage balloon.

Agree put your feet up whenever poss and avoid getting too hot. And be assured the water will just drain away as soon as you give birth - you will be peeing like a racehorse for a few days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now