Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know the facts about dangers of paint fumes?

(7 Posts)
jasmine51 Tue 28-Dec-10 13:03:46

Hi all
I need to get some painting done in our home. Long story but DH had to go away and this needs to be done before some new carpets go down. It will be gloss paint or eggshell. Does anyone have the facts about the dangers of paint fumes in pg - whether any of the fume-removing additives also remove the problem? Whether a mask makes any difference? What exactly is the danger and would eco friendly paints be safer?

Applemuncher Tue 28-Dec-10 16:44:41

Hi

I'm going to be doing some painting (I'm 28 weeks) - where possible i'll use non-toxic water based. I work in the building industry and use masks a lot but have to say that the simple paper dust masks won't do you any good for fumes but are useful if you will be sanding or doing any wood prep.

I've found a factsheet from another website which may help you - there's some sensible advice about ventillation etc which might help.

www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/paintexp ert/

I think most of us will have some decorating to do so most of us will be in the same boat.

jasmine51 Tue 28-Dec-10 18:14:18

Thanks for that. I have read about the low VOC paints too and I believe there are some eggshells on the market that are better than standard gloss. I have also read several times about onions soaking up the fumes...dont know whether this is an old wives tale though. I will certainly mask up for the sanding but should be able to keep that bit to a minimum.
Have you come across the 'odour removers' you can add to paint...do you know if these remove just the odour or somehow neutralise some of the harmful chemicals?

diyqueen Tue 28-Dec-10 22:13:49

In case it helps, last time I did some painting I found a water-based satin finish paint for woodwork etc. by Crown - it's called 'breatheasy' I think - that had no fumes (has low VOCs). I bought it from Focus, might be worth a look - I did a load of painting and decorating over the summer when I was in the first trimester so was glad to find this.

jasmine51 Wed 29-Dec-10 09:09:24

Ooo thanks for that diy. Sounds like there is no excuse for me not doing this painting!

sophielouise Wed 29-Dec-10 10:36:07

Reading this with interest as just finished doing the Gloss in our bedroom yesterday! (used bog standard stuff)

Was just sensible and had the windows open. I think it's the same sort of advice re: hair dye - it's if you inhale loads of the fumes in a hot stuffy enclosed room. And even then the risks to your baby are the same as for you - e.g. it could be harmful if you don't have any normal air to breathe in. Happy nesting!!

Applemuncher Wed 29-Dec-10 15:50:24

Yes - as much ventillation as possible will help! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now