Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Smoked Salmon

(28 Posts)
crazybubbasmummy Thu 23-Dec-10 20:26:59

We always have smoked salmon on christmas morning and as in 13.3 weeks pregnant i wasnt going to have it but am really really craving it now. Am thinking as its only once it might be ok i only have enough to cover a bagel, has anyone eaten smoked salmon being pregnant with any thoughts on this subject??

HaveToWearHeels Thu 23-Dec-10 20:30:40

It's a No No I am afraid

BlitzenAndCupidsSleighDodger Thu 23-Dec-10 20:32:35

Cut it into tiny bits then cook it in scrambled egg. You will still get the flavour, without the danger. smile

neverlookback Thu 23-Dec-10 20:32:54

im in the same situation!! i cant remember if smoked salmon is ok or not, its not shellfish but i suppose its sort of raw, im only 6 weeks but ill be having a bit, this is my 3rd dc and ive had the odd banned thing in my other pg's with no problems at all, id treat yourself its only once and your past 12 weeks too.

Checkmate Thu 23-Dec-10 20:37:54

If you cook it its fine, as that kills any potential listeria; we plan on having smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on Xmas morning; actually am craving some now, writing about it!

MrsCratchit Thu 23-Dec-10 20:37:55

It's okay per the Foid Standards Agency- the smoking process kills any bacteria.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonabl e/890275-to-think-Pepper-Pig-is-slightly-sexist-to wards-Daddy-Pig/AllOnOnePage

neverlookback Thu 23-Dec-10 20:38:52

yes ive just looked on this link above and it seem ok, yey !

MrsCratchit Thu 23-Dec-10 20:39:25

Oops wrong link blush

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/agesandstages/pre gnancy/

SmokinSanta Thu 23-Dec-10 20:47:26

I have to say I didnt have a clue there was any question about smoked salmon - I ate it when pregnant with both DSs completely oblivious to any reason why not!

crazybubbasmummy Thu 23-Dec-10 21:46:05

thank you everyone i suppose i will have smoked salmon then oohhhh im excited xx

RockLovesMincePies Thu 23-Dec-10 21:50:35

I've already been eating it (I'm 35 weeks along) as I figured the fact that it was smoked meant that it was ok. I have not poisoned myself so far.

I intend to have some more on Christmas day, I bloody love the stuff!

RockLovesMincePies Thu 23-Dec-10 21:55:15

From the FSA:

Can I eat cold meats and smoked salmon when I'm pregnant?

Some countries advise pregnant women not to eat cold meats or smoked fish because of the risk of listeria. In the UK, we don't advise women to avoid these products because the risk is very low. The risk of listeria is much higher with cheeses such as Camembert, Brie or chevre (a type of goats' cheese), and others that have a similar rind, or pâté, which you shouldn't eat during pregnancy. However, if you are concerned, you might also choose to avoid cold meats and smoked fish while you are pregnant.

Mmmaa Thu 23-Dec-10 21:55:38

I've been eating it and im fine enjoy it.

faverolles Thu 23-Dec-10 22:45:04

Having worked in that industry for years, I can honestly say that it's fine.
The amount of testing that goes on with the product and surroundings is phenomenal.
If I liked smoked salmon, I would have no qualms about eating it.

gallicgirl Thu 23-Dec-10 22:49:50

I've been eating it all the way through. bit late to stop now at 36 weeks! It never occurred to me that it might not be safe as I assumed the smoking process sorted it out.

blush

I have a friend who works in a path lab (testing samples) and she says never ever eat pate regardless of whether you're pregnant or not. Sees far too many cases of food poisoning that way.

whoodoo Thu 23-Dec-10 22:58:56

Ate it every day with ds2- smoked salmon on a bagel followed by a crunchie was my craving with him. (cheese and pickle with a chunky kitkat for ds1- baked potato with cheese and a lion bar with ds3).

Anyway he turned out ok ( so far so good) and I was fine throughout the pregnancy.

jasmine51 Fri 24-Dec-10 09:40:55

Smoked salmon is fine - preferable to prawns in fact. Make sure its from a reputable source and eaten promptly...not a problem in our house my bump seems to love it so eating with abandon

PipPipPip Fri 24-Dec-10 10:01:26

I am personally VERY excited about chowing down on enormous amounts of smoked salmon this festive season. Even if the warnings said to avoid it, I'd probably rebel! MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone x

HaveToWearHeels Fri 24-Dec-10 11:11:05

oh hat a pisser I avoided it all through my pregnancy and now I discover this.....oh well next time !

HaveToWearHeels Fri 24-Dec-10 11:14:31

*what not hat

giraffeshatewinter Fri 24-Dec-10 11:15:21

Christmas Eve supper with DH is always bagels, smoked salmon and cream cheese, served up with champagne. At 34 weeks, the champagne serving will be a lot smaller, but I'm v excited about the salmon!

tinselthechaffinch Fri 24-Dec-10 11:17:06

Smoked salmon was my biggest craving when pregnant with ds1. I nearly bankrupted myself, I ate such vast quantities!

lucielooo Fri 24-Dec-10 11:46:48

I thought both smoked salmon and prawns were ok, as long as they're from a reputable source as the processes they have to go through for retail are rigorous enough that food poisoning is very unlikely. You can even have sushi if it's from somewhere reputable as it has to be stored at certain temps that make it ok.

But you are advised against buying prawns etc from somewhere you can't be confident they've been strictly regulated.

The only things I'm not eating are pate, some cheeses and liver. Hopefully that's ok!

StiffyByng Mon 27-Dec-10 20:21:41

You can have any sushi (of course, not if you think it's from a really dodgy source) as all fish used for sushi in the UK has to be frozen before use, which kills bugs. I was soooo pleased to find that out.

I've also been eating lots and lots of smoked salmon, and prawns too. The only things I've stopped eating are pate and runny and blue cheeses (although I have to admit to the odd tiny taste of banned ones - particularly as my cheese expert friend said all stilton is pasteurised). And rare meat too - am just avoiding beef as I can't bear it well done!

MrsCratchit Mon 27-Dec-10 20:52:54

Me too Stiffy- I tried a well done steak, never again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: